The Food Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Food Network

This is the thread to talk anything and everything about The Food Network!

Talk about your favorite shows and chefs. Or complain about those that set your kitchen on fire.

The Food Network has become an icon of modern American television and an incredible source of learning the world of culinary arts.

Have fun!

http://www.foodtv.com
    Last edited by Pomai; November 16, 2005, 08:40 PM. Reason: Added URL
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: The Food Network

To start, a few of my favorites...

Molto Mario
    - Mario Batali's knowledge of the various cooking styles by region in Italy is captivating. His cooking is rustic and authentic. His delivery educational, yet witty. Excellent in every way.

Good Eats
    - Alton Brown's entertainment approach to food science is brilliant.

Unwrapped
    - It's like reliving elementary school excursions to the local food factory in every episode.

Paula's Home Cooking
    - Southern comfort food. Paula Deen's personality. Winner.
    Last edited by Pomai; November 16, 2005, 10:47 PM. Reason: Clarified list
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I love the Food Network!

Emeril Live is my Favorite

I also love Racheal Ray and how she loves cooking food for her "Sweetie" with a lot of EVOO!
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

I miss David Rosengarten's Taste. He started out kinda stiff, but relaxed and became a really fun host. What happened to him, anyway?

Comment

I was just thinking about Rosengarten the other day. At the time, I wasn't crazy about him, but for some reason, I kind of miss him. He was so articulate and funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            I miss David Rosengarten's Taste. He started out kinda stiff, but relaxed and became a really fun host. What happened to him, anyway?
            Me too. David Rosengarten had class. Cool set too, with the simple stainless steel counters and shelves. He was articulate about wine pairing, which was different than the other shows at the time.

His webpage tells alot about him here...
            http://www.davidrosengarten.com/cont...ype=site&id=12

Also, what happened to East Meet West with Ming Tsai? Poor ratings? He was good, except a little on the complex side.

Bobby Flay looked humiliated when Ming Tsai beat him on Iron Chef America. Good for him.

Bobby Flay.. arrgggghhhh.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ming has his own show on PBS now. I like his PBS show much better because Ming has a way of explaining things that isn't well suited to a show with commercials. It's so easy to lose track of Ming's progress when there are commercials every five minutes. It's way easier to follow him now.

I don't mind Bobby. He's kind of cocky, but he's mellowed a lot. His apprearance on Iron Chef America when he went against Morimoto was so embarrassing. He was really obnoxious.

I don't know what happened to Rachael. She's so weird now. If you watch her shows from a few years ago, she's really normal-looking and much more collected and easygoing. She's so hyper and her movements are so over-exaggerated in the last couple years. I think she's working too hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
                I don't know what happened to Rachael. She's so weird now. If you watch her shows from a few years ago, she's really normal-looking and much more collected and easygoing. She's so hyper and her movements are so over-exaggerated in the last couple years. I think she's working too hard.
                Yes! I used to really like her but she has gotten weird. About the time she got the highlights, she started acting like she was on drugs (that's how I can tell, at a glance, if it's old Rachael or new Rachael). She certainly is working hard, what with her 3 Food Network shows, her magazine, and her upcoming talk show, not to mention her recent wedding. I leafed through her magazine the other day and it's as scattered as she is. It's like they tried to fit a year's worth of information into one issue.

Food Network is the only non-HBO television I watch. I find cooking shows to be really relaxing at the end of a long day. My favorite Food Network hosts are Paula Deen, Ina Garten, Alton Brown and Michael Chiarello. I can't stand Bobby Flay (why does he put mango in EVERYTHING?), and Dave Lieberman is too twitchy. I like watching Sandra Lee, though she's more in the I-can't-believe-she-just-did-that category.

In fact, I watch so much Food Network that I started blogging about it a few weeks ago: http://armchaircook.blogspot.com

Comment

Great idea for a thread! Hubby and I watch Food TV pretty regularly - he likes Giada of Everyday Italian (I wonder why???) and Bobby Flay because of that whole grilling thing and he also makes cool cocktails.

We only watch Rachel Ray until she utters the word "up" or "evoo" and then we change the channel - usually takes less than a minute. I've heard that there are drinking games associated with her show that revolve around the same premise.

I like Alton Brown for the knowledge but his recipes never work as well as you'd think - just goes to show that cooking (other than baking & pastry) is more than precision and soul is important. Tyler Florence's shows when he was traveling were great. I also liked Tony Bourdain's "Cook's Tour".

If you've cooked many of the recipes shown, whose work out the best? I've found that Tyler's are very good and so are Ina Garten's.

Comment

Absolutely hate Emeril (overexposed), Bobby Flay (too cocky), Iron Chef America (don't like the MC Mark). Don't like that new series with the 2 gay guys either...who entertains at home with cocktail parties anymore?

Tolerate Rachel Ray's 30 Minute Meals (not her yappy dining with the stars series, though, which I hate, and hate her Dining on $40 a day...she did an episode on Maui which was absymal, although I know where that Vietnamese restaurant she ate at is down the street from my parent's house), Paula Deen, Molto Mario and Giada DeLaurentis.

Like Alain Bourdain and his freaky travels and food (sometimes seen on the Travel Channel), Alton Brown (because I like his science), Al Roker when he does his specials, all the pastry and baking contest specials (unless they are the 1000th rerun of the same show). Love Tyler Florence because he's adorable (like Food 911 but don't like How to Boil Water), and the Secret Life of ... I used to like Gale Gand's series too.

I usually don't use any of the recipes from the shows because I don't usually do that kind of cooking. I view the Food Channel as entertainment, not necessarily as education or a way to get a recipe.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                      I also liked Tony Bourdain's "Cook's Tour".

If you've cooked many of the recipes shown, whose work out the best? I've found that Tyler's are very good...
                      Tony Bourdain's "Cook's Tour" is cool. He spins his travel adventures with a hardcore New Yorker's perspective. He usually explores the unbeaten path in the culinary world, sometimes trying extreme cuisine that would make Fear Factor proud. Fun show.

Tyler Florence' Food 911 is a riot. It's as much a show about him flirting with his usually attractive female guests as much as it is about showing them how to cook. Yet, his tips are totally educational and I've learned quite a few culinary tips watching that show.

Recently I've done Giada's (Everyday Italian) Stuffed Manicotti dish. I followed it for the most part, but doctored it (I'm famous for that). Her version used mostly sausage and meats, but I changed it up with more spinach and Mozzarella Cheese. Needless to say, it was a hit with our guests.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Today on How to Boil Water, Tyler Florence teaches how to BRINE a turkey.

This is the secret to a flavorful, moist and tender roasted turkey.

Basically you need to dissolve salt and sugar in boiling water, let it cool, then place the turkey in the brine water and let it go overnight.

See the Food Network website for exact procedure.

For us, we're not worried. The Hyatt's got ours covered (pun intended).
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

We've been brining pork for quite awhile now and it really helps keep the meat juicy during cooking. We like to add other seasonings including cracked black pepper corns, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. A not so tasty experiment was the fish sauce based brine - I overdid the fish sauce.

I think I'll brine the turkey this year (no luck finding the whole turkey breast, bummer).

BTW, has anyone seen that new woman who cooks everything in a crock pot? Slightly disturbing but the food looks good. I have a fear of leaving small appliances plugged in for hours - probably an irrational fear.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                            [...] BTW, has anyone seen that new woman who cooks everything in a crock pot? Slightly disturbing but the food looks good. I have a fear of leaving small appliances plugged in for hours - probably an irrational fear.
                            I go thru phases with crockpot cooking. I'm not one to leave the house for 8-10 hours with the crockpot on but as long as I'm home or at least in and out during the day, I'm not concerned. I have yet to burn down this concrete block structure!

Comment

Gingerbread Houses, Island Style

They're re-running a Gingerbread "House" competition.

My favorite is the one that was like a wedding cake, sliced 1/3 out with an "Elf's House" sticking out back. Cool concept!

This show had me thinking how cool it would be to do one on Hawaii. Gingerbread "houses" based on Hawaii landmarks. Such as, Aloha Tower, Iolani Palace and State Capitol. That kinda' stuff.

Every island has so many interesting landmarks to inspire Gingerbread "houses".
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X