The Food Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Food Network

I think it was a couple of years ago... there was a show where most of the hosts were inside each creating a holiday dish and they had Bobby Flay grilling outside in the snow... they only cut to him just to laugh at him it seems.

Comment

If you're in need of a laugh this afternoon, check out this link which shows what happens when Giada takes a bite of something really, really awful. I wonder if the set person swapped the sugar for salt. Giada in Pain

Comment

My favorite is Paula's Home Cooking too. I loved her Christmas show, I cried, it was good episode and her home is so beautiful. She has a wonderful family. She had a nice tall christmas tree and it was decorated so pretty. The dinner she prepared looked fabulous.
        Faith, the evidence of things not seen, but things that are hopeful.

Comment

Been enjoying Alton's special spinoff series, "Feasting on Asphalt." It's another side of Alton, a little less scripted, a little more real. Traveling coast to coast on two wheels (can't imagine he'll hop a plane to Hawaii, sadly) to sample road food, homestyle cooking, eschewing interstates for Route 66. Gotta say, his elevator pitch for the show sounds a bit like the "highways and byways" stuff from "Cars." The Mac nerd in me loves that he's using some familiar Apple templates in editing the show. Apparently, the next episode is the one where he takes a bit of a spill!

We're big fans of Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations." Okay, it's not Food Network, but he started there (and hated it!). Grumpy, snarky, chain-smoking New Yorker wanders often obscure international locations in search of a place's soul through its food. And it turns out an upcoming episode will be pretty unusual -- he was in Lebanon the week fighting broke out.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Don't like that new series with the 2 gay guys either...who entertains at home with cocktail parties anymore?

I usually don't use any of the recipes from the shows because I don't usually do that kind of cooking. I view the Food Channel as entertainment, not necessarily as education or a way to get a recipe.

Miulang
            Um, I throw cocktail parties...try to throw one at least once a year, actually. I can't cook and HATE cooking, so food-related parties are not of interest to me, unless I'm invited as a guest. Civilized alcohol-fueled parties are much more my style (throwing a kegger party in college was much easier, though, I must admit, than planning cocktail parties!). However, I don't like that show with the two gay guys either--they're just trying too hard, and it looks painful on camera.

I also like the Food network for entertainment purposes only. It's a bunch of people making stuff I'd never cook (if I ever suddenly felt an urge to cook, anyway)--but it sure whets my appetite to go out to eat. And Bourdain's show on the Travel Channel is great. I'm disappointed that I missed the two-parter where he was in India.

My boyfriend, who cooks really well, sometimes picks up tips from the Food network shows, especially Molto Mario, since he likes making Italian food. He can't stand Rachael, and Giada he likes watching for eye candy, though he doesn't care for her cooking technique. Both of us enjoy Paula Dean--watching her pour all that butter/cream into every recipee makes us laugh every time! I LOVE Southern food, but I'd prefer NOT to know how much it's making my arteries clog up.
            Last edited by AbsolutChaos; August 14, 2006, 08:34 AM.

Comment

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN on Kapahulu ave. was recently featured on THE SECRET LIFE OF... DRIVE-INS with Jim O'Connor. He toured the kitchen with owner Mr. Gusukuma, where he was explained the basics of a plate lunch, made note of their famous Rainbow Royal Burger then given a sample of their popular Loco Moco bowl.

After watching this on TV back home in the states, imagine the tourists coming in and asking, "May I have one of them Laka Maka's".

FEASTING ON ASPHALT is fun too. Funny how Alton's insistent on using props, like that pull-down US Map Chart. He seems to like playing do-it-yourself cameraman in this series.
              Last edited by Pomai; August 14, 2006, 08:58 AM. Reason: wrong show name
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I understand FOOD is on Dish satellite in high definition, now. Anybody here seen the HD version?
                Greg

Comment

I enjoy Feasting on Asphalt except it's a little hard to hear when Alton is talking as he's riding his motorcycle (or perhaps I'm just getting old and hard of hearing) The ep where he ate a pig brain sandwhich made me think of what Tony Bourdain would have done eating a pig brain sandwhich, but I liked that Alton admitted he didn't like it but that maybe that's what made it special is that it was something special only to a select group of people who had developed a taste for it.

Comment

I love absolutely anything with Alton Brown, EXCEPT for Iron Chef America, which I can't stand, mostly because I hate Bobby Flay (I, too, find him way too arrogant and cocky. If he didnt have mango or blue corn in his kitchen, he'd be so lost), but there's just something about the original that is so much better to me. I also can't stand Giada - her head is way too big. Racheal is OK. Paula Deen reminds me a ton of my mother (my mom isn't from the South tho). Just loud, happy, and funny. Yesterday, she made this fried chicken with a glaze that was made with 2 sticks of butter and kept repeating that it wasnt her recipe because she didn't want viewers to email her about how unhealthy it was. If you missed the Paula special on her going to France, you missed out on some good comedy and I even cried at the end. Her special was better than Ina Garten's, imo, but Ina's wasn't bad, just a different spin (they even went ot the same market in both shows).

Ming is on Fine Living now in the mornings on a show called "Ming's Quest" which I like.

I dont like their wedding shows. The behind the scenes stuff is kind of interesting, but ends up boring me about 10 mins later.

Tyler Florence is a hoot. And so is Jim O'Conner - I cant figure out if he acts dumb just for camera's sake or if he really is clueless with some of the food items people put in front of him. Either way, I think he's great. Oh and Ham on the Street - I never stop laughing and it keeps me thinkin. George Duran is a kick.

Comment

Bobby Flay used to make me want to punch him in the nose. When he was on that Grillin' and Chillin' show with that good ol' Southern boy in the overalls, Bobby was just WAY too condescending. Perhaps the eager-to-please Southerner didn't graduate from the CIA, but there was NO cause for Bobby to be such a jerk to him.
                      He used to be sorta snarky with Jacqui Malouf, too, which I didn't like -- though I didn't really think she added too much to the show they did.
                      I've gotten used to Flay since then -- but he's still pretty arrogant and cocky.
                      Amusing Alton, the yummy Tyler Florence and silly/funny Jim O'Connor -- as well as the Ham on the Street guy -- are also among my favorites.
                      Emeril can be a bit repetitive and tiresome but he's an undisputed rock star and I give him props for being entertaining overall.
                      Ina Garten has an incredible presence on-camera, IMHO. Great eyes and a really good teacher -- her Barefoot Contessa shows made me feel like she was just talking to ME. That's not a trait one can buy.
                      I'm not a huge Giada fan but some of her food looks really good. I just have to wonder if she really ever eats more than a bite of it. (Too skinny!)
                      I absolutely ADORE Paula Deen. I can't say enough about her. I would love to just hang out with her, or with her and her sons. (I like them on TV when they're with her, but I saw a couple of their shows without her and I didn't like them as well.)
                      Her special about her trip to Paris was AWESOME. I laughed, I sighed, I cried too.
                      Yeah, that TWO sticks of butter recipe couldn't possibly be hers. HERS normally "only" use ONE stick of butter.
                      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                        Ina Garten has an incredible presence on-camera, IMHO. Great eyes and a really good teacher.
                        Totally. Proof (as if anyone really needs it) that heavy women can be hot. She's hotness all over.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Bobby Flay used to make me want to punch him in the nose. When he was on that Grillin' and Chillin' show with that good ol' Southern boy in the overalls, Bobby was just WAY too condescending. Perhaps the eager-to-please Southerner didn't graduate from the CIA, but there was NO cause for Bobby to be such a jerk to him.
                          This is EXACTLY what started my </3 for Bobby Flay - the way he treated Jack McDavid (I think it was McDavid...Jack Mcsomething).

Comment

Look for an appearance on Iron Chef America by local boy Tony Liu sometime next spring. He's a great example of the next generation of talented chefs from Hawaii. Here's an interview with him from last year. Interview with Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                              Look for an appearance on Iron Chef America by local boy Tony Liu sometime next spring. He's a great example of the next generation of talented chefs from Hawaii. Here's an interview with him from last year. Interview with Tony.
                              Great review GlossyP. Wow, he's only 30 years old and very accomplished.

It inspires me to want to attend KCC and get a culinary degree myself. Not as a career move, but mostly to enhance my epicurean knowledge, being that I love food as a second hobby.

You mention that his first job 14 years ago was at Do Ra Ji BBQ in Aina Haina? That's not there anymore, so it must be where Hibiscus Korean BBQ is now.

I was a little disappointed with Sam Choy's Iron Chef appearance. He kinda' overdid the "aloha spirit" thing and didnt' focus enough on making something worthy of beating his opponent. Not that "winning" on that show really matters, but still.

I hope Tony competes against Bobby Flay and kicks BF's cocky @ss.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                                It inspires me to want to attend KCC and get a culinary degree myself. Not as a career move, but mostly to enhance my epicurean knowledge, being that I love food as a second hobby.
                                You should definitely do it. I know lots of people who have taken classes just to focus on particular aspects of food or culinary skills. A friend of mine will be teaching classes on Mexican (as in Mexico not Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex or any other -Mex) cuisine soon.
                                I was a little disappointed with Sam Choy's Iron Chef appearance. He kinda' overdid the "aloha spirit" thing and didnt' focus enough on making something worthy of beating his opponent. Not that "winning" on that show really matters, but still.
                                It was a bit like he phoned it in and didn't really try all that hard.
                                I hope Tony competes against Bobby Flay and kicks BF's cocky @ss.
                                He might chose Mario since he worked for him and considers him a mentor. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. He can't say anything about the show until after it airs but then he'll spill all!
                                Last edited by glossyp; October 9, 2006, 10:59 AM. Reason: grammar, of course

Comment

Working...
                                X