Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Network

Default Re: The Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle
    Ina Garten has an incredible presence on-camera, IMHO. Great eyes and a really good teacher.
    Totally. Proof (as if anyone really needs it) that heavy women can be hot. She's hotness all over.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Bobby Flay used to make me want to punch him in the nose. When he was on that Grillin' and Chillin' show with that good ol' Southern boy in the overalls, Bobby was just WAY too condescending. Perhaps the eager-to-please Southerner didn't graduate from the CIA, but there was NO cause for Bobby to be such a jerk to him.
    This is EXACTLY what started my </3 for Bobby Flay - the way he treated Jack McDavid (I think it was McDavid...Jack Mcsomething).

Look for an appearance on Iron Chef America by local boy Tony Liu sometime next spring. He's a great example of the next generation of talented chefs from Hawaii. Here's an interview with him from last year. Interview with Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
    Look for an appearance on Iron Chef America by local boy Tony Liu sometime next spring. He's a great example of the next generation of talented chefs from Hawaii. Here's an interview with him from last year. Interview with Tony.
    Great review GlossyP. Wow, he's only 30 years old and very accomplished.

It inspires me to want to attend KCC and get a culinary degree myself. Not as a career move, but mostly to enhance my epicurean knowledge, being that I love food as a second hobby.

You mention that his first job 14 years ago was at Do Ra Ji BBQ in Aina Haina? That's not there anymore, so it must be where Hibiscus Korean BBQ is now.

I was a little disappointed with Sam Choy's Iron Chef appearance. He kinda' overdid the "aloha spirit" thing and didnt' focus enough on making something worthy of beating his opponent. Not that "winning" on that show really matters, but still.

I hope Tony competes against Bobby Flay and kicks BF's cocky @ss.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    It inspires me to want to attend KCC and get a culinary degree myself. Not as a career move, but mostly to enhance my epicurean knowledge, being that I love food as a second hobby.
    You should definitely do it. I know lots of people who have taken classes just to focus on particular aspects of food or culinary skills. A friend of mine will be teaching classes on Mexican (as in Mexico not Tex-Mex, Cal-Mex or any other -Mex) cuisine soon.
    I was a little disappointed with Sam Choy's Iron Chef appearance. He kinda' overdid the "aloha spirit" thing and didnt' focus enough on making something worthy of beating his opponent. Not that "winning" on that show really matters, but still.
    It was a bit like he phoned it in and didn't really try all that hard.
    He might chose Mario since he worked for him and considers him a mentor. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. He can't say anything about the show until after it airs but then he'll spill all!
    Last edited by glossyp; October 9th, 2006 at 11:59 AM. Reason: grammar, of course

When I heard that last night's secret ingredient was going to be "wild boar," I thought "how will they tell the difference between the ingredient and Bobby Flay?"

I think the only person on that show I dislike more than Flay is Jeffrey Steinbitchy; rather than critiquing the food, he keeps going after the other judges! I think they put someone between him and Ted Allen just to keep Ted from poisoning Jeffrey's plate.

(Oh, and my second thought about the ingredient was "I wonder if Keoki Kahumoku is watching?")

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

i saw sam choy on iron chef. honestly, i'm not surprised that he did so poorly. put it this way--last year, he hosted a class reunion luau the the eve my employer had a lunchtime luau. my beau and his mother went to both (my opinion shouldn't count) and both said the food at my employer's luau was MUCH tastier.

my employer? a HOSPITAL. and no--the food wasn't catered...unless you call the in-house cafeteria a catering service. SODEXHO was better than sam choy, people!

the last time i went to a sam choy establishment out of choice was my last. when the $15.00 seafood louie is mostly somen noodles, practically plain mayonnaise, iceberg lettuce and barely more than a claw of lobster meat, then it's time to stop giving a chef a chance.

besides, i've since heard that the whole sam choy "aloha" isn't something he shares with his employees. i've heard several first-hand stories of his abusive language...and this coming from seasoned FnB veterans who are thick-skinned.

i just wish that next time they bring in someone from hawaii on iron chef, it will be bcs they're chefs of merit (besides the well known hi regional guys like alan wong and russell siu, we also have chef fukui at hiroshi's, and the chef at cafe miro on waialae--best meal i've had since bouchon!). i'd rather not that a hawaii chef be on iron chef bcs they're pals with emeril.

Quote Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
    i saw sam choy on iron chef. honestly, i'm not surprised that he did so poorly. put it this way--last year, he hosted a class reunion luau the the eve my employer had a lunchtime luau. my beau and his mother went to both (my opinion shouldn't count) and both said the food at my employer's luau was MUCH tastier.

my employer? a HOSPITAL. and no--the food wasn't catered...unless you call the in-house cafeteria a catering service. SODEXHO was better than sam choy, people!

the last time i went to a sam choy establishment out of choice was my last. when the $15.00 seafood louie is mostly somen noodles, practically plain mayonnaise, iceberg lettuce and barely more than a claw of lobster meat, then it's time to stop giving a chef a chance.

besides, i've since heard that the whole sam choy "aloha" isn't something he shares with his employees. i've heard several first-hand stories of his abusive language...and this coming from seasoned FnB veterans who are thick-skinned.

i just wish that next time they bring in someone from hawaii on iron chef, it will be bcs they're chefs of merit (besides the well known hi regional guys like alan wong and russell siu, we also have chef fukui at hiroshi's, and the chef at cafe miro on waialae--best meal i've had since bouchon!). i'd rather not that a hawaii chef be on iron chef bcs they're pals with emeril.
    Before his "fame" , Sam Choy was at the Kona Hilton. His buffets were awesome, I have many memories of great food.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRL

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker

Thumbs up Re: The Food Network

Quote Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
    Before his "fame" , Sam Choy was at the Kona Hilton. His buffets were awesome, I have many memories of great food.
    *sigh*

then is it a case of his sitting on his laurels, then? did i truly miss out on some talent that mr. choy actually had? bcs if that's the case, that truly sucks. nothing saddens me like a missed opportunity to have good food.

that said, i gotta point out that tyler florence is HOOOOTTUH!!! and so is Alton Brown...his seemingly unending vastness of geeky food tech just makes me melt.

and ina garten? that woman is sensual, and i'd guess eating her cooking would be sensual, too.

say what you may say bout rach ray, but i've tried some of her recipes. maybe i can't get them done in exactly 30 minutes, but they're YUM-O!

NY Times Sunday Magazine did a piece recently on the "Rachael Ray Haters Club."

Quote Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
    that said, i gotta point out that tyler florence is HOOOOTTUH!!!
    He's one of my celebrity crushes. He is sensual, passionate and his little smirk, oh my. I could watch him do anything for hours as long as it's not gross or illegal. But then again it matters on what you consider gross and/or illegal.

*swoons*
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Quote Originally Posted by LeiKaina View Post
    He's one of my celebrity crushes. He is sensual, passionate and his little smirk, oh my. I could watch him do anything for hours as long as it's not gross or illegal. But then again it matters on what you consider gross and/or illegal.

*swoons*
    There has been a bit of Tyler bashing on some of the food forums lately related to his increasing chubbiness.

I still think he's adorable and one must remember that love handles have been known to provide needed stabilization in times of reckless abandon.

Quote Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
    There has been a bit of Tyler bashing on some of the food forums lately related to his increasing chubbiness.

I still think he's adorable and one must remember that love handles have been known to provide needed stabilization in times of reckless abandon.
    Totally agreed. You know, I like 'em (men) a bit bigger anyway (head outa the gutter *ahem*) It's a tad scary to think, though, of him making my internal heat rise any further. By the way, that love handle line is my new favorite quote of the week. haha!
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

I guess it would only matter to Tyler that guys appreciate his handles!

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    I guess it would only matter to Tyler that guys appreciate his handles!
    He's still adorable, as recognized by both camps.

Rumors fly about Michael Chiarello, too. Even Ina Garten's beloved Jeffrey has been rumored to be gay, with Ina acting as his cover.

I've heard it said often: never trust a skinny cook.

He's still adorable, as recognized by both camps.

Rumors fly about Michael Chiarello, too. Even Ina Garten's beloved Jeffrey has been rumored to be gay, with Ina acting as his cover.
    Oh I so believe that about Ina being a cover for Jeffrey! I swear to gawd there are times when I've covered for my dear gay friends as well, before I was married!

If you're reading this right now (Sat. 4:17pm), turn it quick to the Food Network!

There's a food challenge called FLYING KNIVES, a Teppenyaki challenge.

3 local boys are competing and 2 mainland guys...

- Kevin Matsuda - Mililani
    - Nick Norimatsu - Honolulu
    - Kalae Tanaka - Wailuku, Maui
    - Lam Ha Minneapolis, Minnesota
    - Cavin Ross - South Lake, California

It was filmed at hotel on the big island. They should re-air it again some time. Pretty cool.

If you're reading this right now (Sat. 4:17pm), turn it quick to the Food Network!

There's a food challenge called FLYING KNIVES, a Teppenyaki challenge.

3 local boys are competing and 2 mainland guys...

- Kevin Matsuda - Mililani
    - Nick Norimatsu - Honolulu
    - Kalae Tanaka - Wailuku, Maui
    - Lam Ha Minneapolis, Minnesota
    - Cavin Ross - South Lake, California

It was filmed at hotel on the big island. They should re-air it again some time. Pretty cool.
    That aired up here last week. Sure was windy! I'm surprised the chefs were able to catch any shrimps in their hats! Gotta try that egg cracking trick...

Miulang

Correction: His name is Nick Narimatsu (not Norimatsu). Omedeto Gozaimasu!

Also, it's Teppanyaki (not teppenyaki).

Food Network link (including broadcast times and photos): Flying Knives
    Last edited by Pomai; February 3rd, 2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Link it

The 1st Annual Food Network Awards was pretty good. I can see this eventually becoming as big as MTV's VMA.

The nominees in the "Playing with Food" category were amazing. The "Macaroni Monet" was my favorite.

Paula's Home Cooking all the way! Gotta love that everything is cooked with cream, butter, and a side of carbs! Southern cooking is a weakness of mine since a family friend got me hooked a few years ago and I think I have a problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
    Despite word that this would air last spring, it finally has an airtime for next Sunday, August 5. I was not surprised to see that he will be battling his mentor and former employer, Mario Batali. Go Tony! Food Network Details.

Default Re: The Next Food Network Star

This season's NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR was a major disappointment. I can't believe Amy won. What is she going to do next? Quit her new show because she "wants to go back home to her husband and kids"? Give me a break. Totally lame. I will not watch her show. She's irritating.

I at least wish Jag would've made his confession and stay in, not withdraw. He would've been way better than the two "finalists".

IMO, Guy Fieri (winner of season 2) is the man. Great personality and camera presence. His "Diners, Drive-Inn and Dives" is very enjoyable. He already has way more air time than those two guys from season one, who IMO suck, too (no pun intended lol). Guy established himself well on TFN.
    Last edited by Pomai; July 29th, 2007 at 10:12 AM.

Default Re: The Next Food Network Star

This season's NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR was a major disappointment. I can't believe Amy won. What is she going to do next? Quit her new show because she "wants to go back home to her husband and kids"? Give me a break. Totally lame. I will not watch her show. She's irritating.

I at least wish Jag would've made his confession and stay in, not withdraw. He would've been way better than the two "finalists".

IMO, Guy Fieri (winner of season 2) is the man. Great personality and camera presence. His "Diners, Drive-Inn and Dives" is very enjoyable. He already has way more air time than those two guys from season one, who IMO suck, too (no pun intended lol). Guy established himself well on TFN.
    I agree with you, Pomai. This season's finalists all kinda sucked. Amy has this crooked smile that drives me buggy, and as for her POV, yeeks ("backyard gourmet"???). Early on, I could have wrung Colombe's neck and I detested Paul (goofball) and Rory "looks like a horse" (according to the DH!) I felt bad for JAG, but why did he have to lie in the first place? Especially since he was a veteran of the Marine Corps? He wasn't ready to be a finalist if he thought lying would help improve his chances.

Of course, the finalists on "Top Chef" ain't that hot either. Hung drives me nutso!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like. --Mark Twain

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast