The Food Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Food Network

The 1st Annual Food Network Awards was pretty good. I can see this eventually becoming as big as MTV's VMA.

The nominees in the "Playing with Food" category were amazing. The "Macaroni Monet" was my favorite.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Paula's Home Cooking all the way! Gotta love that everything is cooked with cream, butter, and a side of carbs! Southern cooking is a weakness of mine since a family friend got me hooked a few years ago and I think I have a problem now.
      Looking for an old friend Nathan Bellinger, appreciate any help.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
        Look for an appearance on Iron Chef America by local boy Tony Liu sometime next spring. He's a great example of the next generation of talented chefs from Hawaii. Here's an interview with him from last year. Interview with Tony.
        Despite word that this would air last spring, it finally has an airtime for next Sunday, August 5. I was not surprised to see that he will be battling his mentor and former employer, Mario Batali. Go Tony! Food Network Details.

Comment

Re: The Next Food Network Star

This season's NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR was a major disappointment. I can't believe Amy won. What is she going to do next? Quit her new show because she "wants to go back home to her husband and kids"? Give me a break. Totally lame. I will not watch her show. She's irritating.

I at least wish Jag would've made his confession and stay in, not withdraw. He would've been way better than the two "finalists".

IMO, Guy Fieri (winner of season 2) is the man. Great personality and camera presence. His "Diners, Drive-Inn and Dives" is very enjoyable. He already has way more air time than those two guys from season one, who IMO suck, too (no pun intended lol). Guy established himself well on TFN.
          Last edited by Pomai; July 29, 2007, 09:12 AM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            This season's NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR was a major disappointment. I can't believe Amy won. What is she going to do next? Quit her new show because she "wants to go back home to her husband and kids"? Give me a break. Totally lame. I will not watch her show. She's irritating.

I at least wish Jag would've made his confession and stay in, not withdraw. He would've been way better than the two "finalists".

IMO, Guy Fieri (winner of season 2) is the man. Great personality and camera presence. His "Diners, Drive-Inn and Dives" is very enjoyable. He already has way more air time than those two guys from season one, who IMO suck, too (no pun intended lol). Guy established himself well on TFN.
            I agree with you, Pomai. This season's finalists all kinda sucked. Amy has this crooked smile that drives me buggy, and as for her POV, yeeks ("backyard gourmet"???). Early on, I could have wrung Colombe's neck and I detested Paul (goofball) and Rory "looks like a horse" (according to the DH!) I felt bad for JAG, but why did he have to lie in the first place? Especially since he was a veteran of the Marine Corps? He wasn't ready to be a finalist if he thought lying would help improve his chances.

Of course, the finalists on "Top Chef" ain't that hot either. Hung drives me nutso!

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Amy's POV is "Gourmet Next Door" and I personally liked her. She had great camera presense, simple recipes and could think on her feet.

I thought JAG was an overbearing rude young man. He also showed little respect for the women. He even called Rachel Ray "honey" when he was cooking with her. She commented on it and didn't look very happy about it. He was too complicated in his recipes and to hyper to be enjoyable. and his lying was very unfortunate - especially when he said he had been to Afghanistan. Lying about going to war when there are troops out there getting killed is especially egregious. I don't think he would have come clean except for the interview with "Star" Magazine. He clammed up on a couple of their questions and that was like waving a red flag in front of a bull when you're talking to a gossip rag.

Rory DOES NOT look like a horse! She maybe has unfortunate teeth. But, I liked her back story and her cooking had a lot going for it. I was rooting for her but then started paying more attention to Amy's food. I was happy with who won.

and Guy Fieri ROCKS!!!
              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
              – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I agree that JAG had issues too. Still, I'd rather watch his show if he had one over Amy or Horsey. lol

'None of the above' would have been my choice for this season's Next Food Network Star.

So when is Sam Choy or Roy Yamaguchi going to have a Food Network show? Sam's come a long way with his English-speaking skillz. Big improvement from when he began his KHNL show. Last I seen Roy on TV was on his PBS show a while ago. It was actually kind of boring, but he was certainly articulate.

Lots of folks never liked Harry Kojima, saying he's a jerk and all that, but I actually really liked Let's Go Fishing when he was host, and Harry's Kitchen following that show on KHON. I miss Harry. Last I heard, he was cutting fish at Tamashiro Market. Anyone know if that's true?
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

So when is Sam Choy or Roy Yamaguchi going to have a Food Network show? Sam's come a long way with his English-speaking skillz. Big improvement from when he began his KHNL show. Last I seen Roy on TV was on his PBS show a while ago. It was actually kind of boring, but he was certainly articulate.
                  Well, Sam appeared on Iron Chef-America and lost, and Roy had a couple of shows on PBS a few years back. I could see them doing specials but not a whole series, unless it was a series that featured all the Pacific Rim chefs (like Chef Mavro, Bev Gannon, etc.). I think Pacific Rim fusion cooking as a concept is a little too specialized a niche still, although I did notice a new Latino cooking show (with a chica with a cleavage! ) who was on yesterday morning. Maybe the execs (Susie in particular) made note of JAG's complaint about FN not caring about Latino cooking and decided they needed to rectify that situation by finding the woman who's doing the show now, or maybe it's been in the works for awhile because FN realizes that the Latino population is one of the fastest growing ethnic populations in the country....oh for a Cubano sandwich right about now!

Miulang

P.S. Harry Kojima's cooking show was entertaining. I even cockaroached his fish cookbook from my Mom!
                  Last edited by Miulang; July 29, 2007, 12:11 PM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

[...]So when is Sam Choy or Roy Yamaguchi going to have a Food Network show?[...]
                    Roy was on the Today Show last week. Maybe that appearance was a precursor to something yet to come? Dunno!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      Of course, the finalists on "Top Chef" ain't that hot either.
                      Top Chef gets my vote waaaaaay before the Next Food Network Star.

The contestants this season are the most talented group yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                        Top Chef gets my vote waaaaaay before the Next Food Network Star.

The contestants this season are the most talented group yet.
                        I have to agree. I didn't even make it through a single episode of NFNS, and stopped trying after a couple of weeks.

It seems Top Chef is finding a balance this year - no more completely stupid QF challenges with food from 7-11 or a vending machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                          Well, Sam appeared on Iron Chef-America and lost
                          He was also in the pool of chefs who appeared on Chef du Jour, a show I had some fondness for.

I did notice a new Latino cooking show (with a chica with a cleavage! )
                          That's Ingrid Hoffman. Her show, Simply Delicioso was already established on Spanish-language American subscription television. And yeah. no kidding about the cleavage. Check out some of the clips (especially the Regis & Kelly clip) at her website.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                            I have to agree. I didn't even make it through a single episode of NFNS, and stopped trying after a couple of weeks.

It seems Top Chef is finding a balance this year - no more completely stupid QF challenges with food from 7-11 or a vending machine.
                            I think I saw that Rocco di Spirito is going to be on the next episode of Top Chef. Man, talk about eye candy. ..too bad he has the same bad boy attitude that Bobby Flay has/had when he was just starting out.

Interesting sidebar: Padma is the soon-to-be ex-wife of Salman Rushdie of "Satanic Verses" fame. She's the one who's filing for the divorce. It was kind of a "Beauty and the Beast" matchup, IMO.

Miulang

Comment

In addition to the much-anticipated Iron Chef showdown this weekend, you can catch the first episode of Alton Brown's second shot at Feasting on Asphalt. Last season he gave us four episodes. This summer, he follows the Mississippi and gives us six. Should be excellent viewing.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scriv',

that much-anticipated showdown you're referring to would be between local boy Tony Liu and 'Iron Chef' Mario Batali, which will air tomorrow (Sunday) night at 6pm and 9pm.

Seriously, I am SO NOT an Iron Chef fan. Yuck. The only reason I hate the Japanese version is because of the TACKY TACKY TACKY voice-overs. Ackkkkk! And why do they portray chairman Kaga as a closet drag? Then you have the younger American "chairman", who packs more acting plastic than VISA.

At least Chef Liu says Honolulu is one of his favorite food destinations. I agree.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X