X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Food Network

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    In addition to the much-anticipated Iron Chef showdown this weekend
    I hear that the "Chairman" is from Hawaii and we should watch for some localisms with Mario getting in on the act as well.

you can catch the first episode of Alton Brown's second shot at Feasting on Asphalt. Last season he gave us four episodes. This summer, he follows the Mississippi and gives us six. Should be excellent viewing.
    Hopefully, he'll keep the bike upright this season and avoid broken ribs - that looked so painful. I'm glad to hear he will be back on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
      I hear that the "Chairman" is from Hawaii and we should watch for some localisms with Mario getting in on the act as well.
      Yes, Chairman Kaga's nephew is a local boy by the name of Mark Dacascos. His bio doesn't list his current stint as Kaga's nephew (I think it's supposed to be a biiig secret ). He aced out Yuji Okumoto (of Karate Kid fame) for the role. The interesting thing is they look like they could be brothers! (I know, I know...all Asian male actors look alike... ). Both Mark and Yuji play characters in a yet-to-be released (already in the can but awaiting funding) film called "Only the Brave", which is a film about the 442nd during WW2. I previewed the flick at a fundraiser, and they both are very good in it.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; August 4, 2007, 08:10 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        I agree that JAG had issues too. Still, I'd rather watch his show if he had one over Amy or Horsey. lol

'None of the above' would have been my choice for this season's Next Food Network Star.

So when is Sam Choy or Roy Yamaguchi going to have a Food Network show? Sam's come a long way with his English-speaking skillz. Big improvement from when he began his KHNL show. Last I seen Roy on TV was on his PBS show a while ago. It was actually kind of boring, but he was certainly articulate.

Lots of folks never liked Harry Kojima, saying he's a jerk and all that, but I actually really liked Let's Go Fishing when he was host, and Harry's Kitchen following that show on KHON. I miss Harry. Last I heard, he was cutting fish at Tamashiro Market. Anyone know if that's true?
        harry's a super nice guy..and no he does not cut fish for Tamashiro, he is still however in the fishing industry..if i recall correctly i think Kalihiboy can tell you where harry is.

Comment

I love watching Rachael Ray's $40 a day, Rachael Ray's Tasty Travels, Alton Brown, Iron Chef, Iron Chef America, Unwrapped.
          Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
            Yes, Chairman Kaga's nephew is a local boy by the name of Mark Dacascos. His bio doesn't list his current stint as Kaga's nephew (I think it's supposed to be a biiig secret).
            Or because it's simply NOT TRUE?

"Chairman Kaga" is a made-up character played by Japanese actor Takeshi Kaga.

He is not related to Dacascos.

You might think it's a "biiig secret," but I'll stick with calling it another instance of you not knowing what you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
              Or because it's simply NOT TRUE?

"Chairman Kaga" is a made-up character played by Japanese actor Takeshi Kaga.

He is not related to Dacascos.

You might think it's a "biiig secret," but I'll stick with calling it another instance of you not knowing what you're talking about.
              The character of "Chairman Kaga's nephew" IS being played by Mark Dacascos. Pffft. He was born in Honolulu in February, 1964. Kaga is an actor, too, who has been in many Japanese movies and TV shows. And I know Yuji Okumoto (I eat at his Kona Kitchen restaurant all the time). Leo Lakio knows Yuji and Angie and Liz too.

Beginning in January 2005, Dacascos has portrayed "the Chairman" on Food Network's Iron Chef America. This role was previously played by Takeshi Kaga in the original Japanese Iron Chef. IMDb previously incorrectly stated that Takeshi Kaga is his uncle on his mother's side. This likely stems from confusion over Dacascos playing the character of the nephew of "Chairman Kaga" in Iron Chef. The misunderstanding most likely arose due to the fact that "Chairman Kaga" himself is a fictional character, and hence the stated relationship is actually between the two fictional characters. IMDb has since amended their information to correct this inaccuracy
              Last edited by Miulang; August 4, 2007, 04:50 PM.
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

And I know Yuji Okumura (I eat at his Kona Kitchen restaurant all the time).
                Yuji Okumoto.

Next time you see him, ask him if he keeps in touch with Tamlyn Tomita. *swoon*
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Yuji Okumoto.

Next time you see him, ask him if he keeps in touch with Tamlyn Tomita. *swoon*
                  He does (all the Asian actors kinda stick together because it's so hard to get parts without being typecast). I met her a couple of years ago at a fundraising preview of "Only the Brave" at Yuji's restaurant and got to talk with her briefly. She has a major role (as a housewife) in that movie. Yes, she is quite the looker. Yuji has been a recurring character in the Johnny Tsunami/Johnny Kapahala Disney specials too as Johnny's Dad.

Miulang

P.S. Scriv: This is just for you!
                  Last edited by Miulang; August 4, 2007, 05:20 PM.

Comment

This:

Yes, Chairman Kaga's nephew is a local boy by the name of Mark Dacascos. His bio doesn't list his current stint as Kaga's nephew (I think it's supposed to be a biiig secret ).
                    Is not the same as this:

The character of "Chairman Kaga's nephew" IS being played by Mark Dacascos.
                    They're not related. Don't try to backpedal.

Comment

I think Miulang's first comment could have been read either way: We often get into this problem when we talk about fictional characters. We'll say "remember when Stallone said..." when what we really mean is, "remember when Rocky said..."

I read Miulang's first comment as "Chairman Kaga's nephew is (played by a local boy by the name of Mark Dacascos." So really, you were both right. I'd cut some slack on this one.
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

[...]P.S. Scriv: This is just for you!
                        And this one, too, Scriv...a local production that screened at HIFF a couple of years ago.

Comment

And I know Yuji Okumoto (I eat at his Kona Kitchen restaurant all the time). Leo Lakio knows Yuji and Angie and Liz too.
                          Yup. Play Hawaiian music there regularly, too. Next kanikapila is August 12, over breakfast.
                          I read Miulang's first comment as "Chairman Kaga's nephew is (played by a local boy by the name of Mark Dacascos."
                          Yup, again. That's how I saw it, too. Miulang knows Mark's not related to Kaga; just about everybody does - hence the "wink" at the end of her "biiig secret" comment. Easy mistake to make, misreading her line of "Chairman Kaga's nephew is...," however. But I think the follow-up of "His bio doesn't list his current stint as Kaga's nephew" clarifies that she knows it's just another role for him.

YMMV

Comment

The television in the lounge where I work is hooked up to basic cable, and I got hooked on Molto Mario during break. Now that I have cable at home again, I catch Molto Mario when I'm on summer vacation. I also like to watch Rachael Ray (both on cable and on her CBS show) and Emeril Lagasse.

Comment

The first episode of the new season of Feasting on Asphalt was pretty much exactly what you'd have expected, meaning it was pretty terrific. I used to think I didn't have it in me to eat crayfish, but I think my mind has been changed about that, after seeing this show.

When it comes to TV crushes, I am extremely fickle, but after years of being a Rachael Ray devotee, I've got to say that she's just completely overexposed these past couple of years. I thought maybe Ingrid Hoffman would replace Rachael in my heart, but I found her on-air persona just slightly irritating.

Then today I watched Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade Grilling special, and I think we have a winner. I am sooooo hot for Sandra. She's about the right age for me, too -- about two and a half years older than me.
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The first episode of the new season of Feasting on Asphalt was pretty much exactly what you'd have expected, meaning it was pretty terrific.
                                Looks like he's going to be getting up near my old grounds in the fifth episode. I dig that he involves his crew in the whole experience - especially the guys who often fill the occasional role on Good Eats.

Comment

Working...
                                X