Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bento

Where do you go for your bento?

There's a place in Waipahu, called "K's Bento-Ya", nestled amongst Jenny's drive in (used to be called Diner's) and Jack In the Box, along Farrington Hwy.

They offer two bentos (do they still have them?), one regular, and one w/ shrimp, spam, and other goodies.

I don't remember what's in them, but their teriyaki chicken is the best.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Best bento

I can't remember the last time I brought a bento for myself but the last time I ate (which someone else brought) came from Zippys.
    Last edited by helen; May 22, 2004, 06:17 PM.

Comment

For the real deal, Okata Bento in Kaimuki. Here's a KHNL segment on 'em. If I want to get all fancy, Kaka`ako Kitchen at Ward Centre. (If those can qualify as bento.) Otherwise, I confess, for the quick-and-easy, Zippy's Surf Paks and Zip Paks often fit the bill just fine.

Comment

mitsuken...
        Fair and Balanced

Comment

Originally posted by easTTriver
          mitsuken...
          I love Mitsuken, but there is this place in Ward Warehouse on the ground level that makes a really badass bento. I forget the name though. I wish I could remember, the food is sooo good over there!

-vic

Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Whoa, if you guys' like da Zip Pac from Zips.....try 'em wit' Teri Sauce on da rice!!! Even mo' brok' da mout! I alwayz oda mine li'dat!

Comment

Originally posted by easTTriver
              mitsuken...
              Where is this at?

Comment

Originally posted by kukui_nut
                Where is this at?
                Mitsu-Ken is on School Street, about a block diamond head of the Houghtailing intersection. They have killer garlic chicken, but the parking is terrible. Be prepared to wait in line.

Comment

Had one today from St. Louis Drive Inn. Chicken was on the spicey side.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    Mitsu-Ken is on School Street, about a block diamond head of the Houghtailing intersection. They have killer garlic chicken, but the parking is terrible. Be prepared to wait in line.
                    Ooo, thanks, eh.
                    Definitely gonna try this place.

Comment

"Had one today from St. Louis Drive Inn."

What was someone who works at HCC doing in the neighborhood of St. Louis Drive Inn on a weekday???

I'm not a bento fan, but maybe I've just never had a good one.

Comment

Had the day off today. Was launching model rockets for a school and that school gave us bentos for lunch today.

Comment

Helen explained:

"Was launching model rockets for a school and that school gave us bentos for lunch today."

One small step ...

Comment

My favorite bento stop is Sugoi's in Kalihi. I don't know what the name of the shopping/restaurant complex is, but it's off Dillingham by the canal. I think Young's is also nearby. The prices are reasonable and they give a lot in each bento. Even the mini is plenty! Each regular bento comes with teri beef and a hot dog in addition to whichever meat/fish you choose. I usually get the Mochiko chicken bento and split it w/my children. Yummy!!

Comment

For a Japanese-style (as opposed to Local-style) bento, I really go for Imari's near the Samsung Plaza on Keeaumoku. Quantity, quality, packaging, everything. Check this out.

The one on the left is Ginger Pork, Aji Fry, and Unagi. The one on the right is Wafu (Japanese-style) Hamburger, Tonkatsu Chunks, and Chicken Karaage.
                              Sun-Ki Chai
                              崔勝基 (최승기)
                              sunki@hawaii.edu
                              www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Comment

Working...
                              X