Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best bento

Originally posted by skchai
    For a Japanese-style (as opposed to Local-style) bento, I really go for Imari's near the Samsung Plaza on Keeaumoku. Quantity, quality, packaging, everything. Check this out.

The one on the left is Ginger Pork, Aji Fry, and Unagi. The one on the right is Wafu (Japanese-style) Hamburger, Tonkatsu Chunks, and Chicken Karaage.
    I agree on this one. I must visit when I am back home!!!!!!
    95 4 banger - 04 Rubi

Comment

Well, here's a review and picture of one of K's bento bento. Pictured, is the deluxe, with shrimp, spam, and other goodies.
      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I've tried K's in Waipahu. Not bad. I also like Tanioka's bento . Especially their fish cake patty. That's GOOD stuff.

Tropics at Ward Farmer's market also has excellent "local style" bento and are reasonably-priced. They run out fast though. Marukai next door has good bentos, but they're more authentic Japanese style, which comes at a higher price, just like Shirokiya. Even after 5pm when they mark the stuff down a buck or so.

Actually any bento - good or "just o.k." - tastes WAY BETTER when you eat it at the beach. The ambiance near the ocean somehow can make a a simple musubi and shoyu-flavored hot dog taste like heaven on earth.
        Last edited by Pomai; June 24, 2006, 01:14 PM. Reason: Trimmed the fat from my mento bento posting
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ray's Cafe ... sort of like a bigger Zip Pac ...
          teri-steak not teri-beef
          half a can of spam
          chicken
          mahi
          and rice with furikake ...
          I split one with my wife once.
          Oh yeah much cheaper than a Zip Pac.
          just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Ishihara's in Waimea on Kauai. Butterfish and teri-chicken bento (includes what tasted like a scallop tempura) for only 4.25 USD.
            Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

I am "mature" enough (sigh) to remember when Zip Pacs cost less than $3.00. That was a long time ago, nevertheless I was shocked when I saw that they were nearly $7.00 ... and that was awhile back. I have no idea what they cost now.

The food p0rn pix of the bentos from Ward Warehouse and Imari's sure are compelling ... and Sugoi sounds really good.

I just have to say that whenever I hear/read someone say that even the "mini" is enough, I am instantly skeptical. I'm not one of those girls who eats half a bagel and claims to be stuffed -- which only partially explains why I don't work as a supermodel.
              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

I remember when a Big Mac was only 65-cents and we were complaining back then about high prices!
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by easTTriver
                  mitsuken...
                  My wife's chicken is way better than Mitsuken's. And to think I waited in line for their best.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                    I am "mature" enough (sigh) to remember when Zip Pacs cost less than $3.00. That was a long time ago, nevertheless I was shocked when I saw that they were nearly $7.00 ... and that was awhile back. I have no idea what they cost now.

The food p0rn pix of the bentos from Ward Warehouse and Imari's sure are compelling ... and Sugoi sounds really good.

I just have to say that whenever I hear/read someone say that even the "mini" is enough, I am instantly skeptical. I'm not one of those girls who eats half a bagel and claims to be stuffed -- which only partially explains why I don't work as a supermodel.
                    eh - I saw you on TV dis year at the Taste of Honolulu...

You can eat... but you don't hold it! Besides... I know where you went HS... and you skinnier than everyone in your class!

You look great... Manoa wondering... hey... why you not a supermodel?

I know... cause you get brains

Comment

Aw, shucks Manoa.

I stay small-kine blushing now!

Comment

Aw, shucks Manoa.

I stay small-kine blushing now!
                        Not...big kine blushing eh sistah?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          Not...big kine blushing eh sistah?
                          Well, considering the "generous" size of my face, I guess I shoulda said "BIG KINE" blushing.

That said, my green dot's about to turn pale blue, as I gotta cook dinner now!

G'night ... TTYL
                          Last edited by Erika Engle; July 12, 2006, 05:50 PM. Reason: Adding a line or two.

Comment

Well, considering the "generous" size of my face, I guess I shoulda said "BIG KINE" blushing.

That said, my green dot's about to turn pale blue, as I gotta cook dinner now!

G'night ... TTYL

Okay now go make more dakine chicken and go make for one good evening. Remember...Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce. Pick some up at Safeway on the way home!

Comment

My wonderful girlfriend brought me this for lunch at work yesterday...

Misoyaki Butterfish, Nishime and Sekihan (mochi rice with Azuki Beans) bento from Marukai at Ward Farmer's Market, $6.79.

The Nishime wasn't cooked long enough, as the vegetables were still a bit hard, but that Misoyaki Butterfish was just AWESOME. It looks kinda' small in the photo, but it was actually a really thick cut. The fatty skin part just melted in the mouth. Oishii desu.

One thing I love about bento lunches is eating them at room temperature. It's like being at the beach.

Marukai has an in-house Okazu-ya shop now, so there's pretty much as good a selection as Shirokiya at around the same prices. I've never been there late enough to know when they start marking them down though. Shirokiya marks the bentos down after 7pm now.

Yearly membership fee at Marukai is just $10. A must if you love Japanese food (like me!).
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I've been going to FUKUYA in Moiliili every so often for nearly four decades since my UH-Manoa days to create my "pick-your-own" okazuya bentos. Musubi, mac salad, cone sushi, hash patty, shoyu chicken, mahimahi, char siu pork, sweet potato tempura, and BBQ beef among my favorite items.

Comment

Working...
                                X