Brown rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown rice

I think I may know why it doesn't happen but I will ask anyway. By any chance is their such a thing as brown rice sushi?

Re: Brown rice

Originally posted by helen
    I think I may know why it doesn't happen but I will ask anyway. By any chance is their such a thing as brown rice sushi?
    I've never seen one sold commercially, but I have made brown rice&spam musubis for our kids' sports concession booths. They were winnas with the coaches, but kids and most parents would stare at them curiously. They always sold out.

And we sold them for $.50 more.

pax

Comment

Actually, if you purchase a "Fuzzy Logic" Rice cooker with brown rice setting, the rice will turn out similar to white rice. The down side is that the cooking cycle is about 3 hours long. You can set it and forget it and have the rice ready when you are.
      Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Brown rice turns out to have less moisture and is not as sticky as white rice so not an ideal medium to hold itself together in any kind of shape. It is possible, though, as mentioned above, to cook brown rice a certain way to make it more sticky. Using a fancy rice cooker is one way. Soaking the rice in water(usually 2:1 ratio of water to rice-so if you're cooking 6 cups of rice, use 8 cups of water) for about an hour before cooking it will soften it up and make it stickier.
        Brown rice musubis sure do sound good! I would've bought one even if it was more than 50 cents!

Comment

I wish plate lunch places (and wagons) would offer a choice between white rice and brown rice. Of course, I'd like it even more if there was also the option for mashed potatoes and gravy. If L&L would offer that choice, I'd eat there much more often.

Comment

Mmmmmm... brown rice

I love brown rice! Gourmet Express at Kahala Mall used to sell bambucha brown rice musubi. I haven't seen it there for a long time, so they may have discontinued it or I may just have to get there earlier. Either way, tell them to make it again (or make more)!

Also, Well Bento (next to the University Jiffy Lube on Beretania, upstairs from that record store) has brown rice, and the plate lunches there are BROK DA MOUT! (My favorite is the Zen with a side of Louisiana Seitan.)

Other places with brown rice:
            Like Like Drive-Inn!
            Zippy's
            I Love Country Café

And if you ever hit L.A., check out Toi on Sunset Blvd. It's a Thai restaurant just east of The Laugh Factory and their brown rice is unlike any I've ever had.

I have to go eat some brown rice now!!!

Comment

I've seen brown rice maki sushi for sale at Foodland Market City. Haven't tried it though.
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

The sushi joint I have lunch at has two sushi menus....one for white rice and the other for brown rice. I had a couple myself one day and really don't care for it. I do, however, love brown rice and mix it with white rice in my rice cooker.
                Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                  Not that I know of, but there is a spam musubi with brown rice selling at your local 7-Eleven.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Anybody know what kind of beans to mix in Brown Rice? The Korean Store sells in packages but it's in Korean. I want a combination of beans. Any idea.

Auntie Lynn
                    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The Ala Manoa Foodland sells brown rice sushi. I tried it a couple of times so far, it seems to be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                        Anybody know what kind of beans to mix in Brown Rice? The Korean Store sells in packages but it's in Korean. I want a combination of beans. Any idea.

Auntie Lynn
                        Are you mixing the beans just for texture? The red azuki beans with brown rice makes a pretty interesting dish.

Another simple suggestion is this simple recipe:

Brown Rice
                        One or Two cans of seasoned baby clams
                        Cubed or sliced carrots
                        One can water chestnuts, sliced thin
                        Shoyu
                        Sesame Seed Oil

Add all ingredients to your rice cooker adding the liquids from the canned items (baby clams and chestnuts)

Add one teaspoon sesame seed oil
                        Add shoyu to taste (I like Aloha brand because of the sweetness)

Press the cook button and disappear until it's done

It's a meal in itself but tastes great as a garnish to other seafood such as fish or sprinkle furikaki over and eat out of a rice bowl. Makes a great musubi too!

The beauty of this is that it's all done in one rice cooker, and it can be completed in as little as 1/2-hour.
                        Last edited by craigwatanabe; February 15, 2008, 08:50 AM.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          Another simple suggestion is this simple recipe:

Brown Rice
                          Cubed or sliced carrots
                          Shoyu
                          Sesame Seed Oil

Add all ingredients to your rice cooker adding the liquids from the canned items (baby clams and chestnuts)

Press the cook button and disappear until it's done

It's a meal in itself but tastes great as a garnish to other seafood such as fish or sprinkle furikaki over and eat out of a rice bowl. Makes a great musubi too!

The beauty of this is that it's all done in one rice cooker, and it can be completed in as little as 1/2-hour.
                          I think I'm gonna' try this. Sounds oishii! Perhaps put a grilled Saba on top.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I forgot make sure you ADD WATER!!! The amount of water used should be the same as you would normally use for brown rice.

I like to use the same as I would for white rice because I like the texture. However with brown rice you really should let the rice soak for a while to soften the husks a bit. And remember that the items will displace water levels so adjust your amount of rice and water so the levels don't get too high.

When I cook brown rice I usually let the rice soak in water for a couple of hours before cooking.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              [...]
                              Brown Rice
                              Cubed or sliced carrots
                              Shoyu
                              Sesame Seed Oil

[...]
                              Yummm...I wanna try this but I'm one of those unimaginative cooks who needs amounts. How much uncooked brown rice are you talkin' about?

Comment

Working...
                              X