Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown rice

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    Yummm...I wanna try this but I'm one of those unimaginative cooks who needs amounts. How much uncooked brown rice are you talkin' about?
    When you cook for yourself or for others, use the same amount that you normally use. I usually make enough for a ten-cup rice cooker (typical size)

If you like a lot of clams use two cans, if you like less, use one can. I like to use two cans of clams.

You can also use white rice, I just add more shoyu to flavor the rice. The secret to this dish is the baby clams and the oil it's packed in. You can add anything to this dish as the rice cooker steams everything. Once in a while I use soybeans. But you can add anything you want. Mine is just a simple one that I concocted when I was simply bored.

BTW if anyone's in Hilo this weekend my cousin Jean Hee Watanabe will be at KTA Puinako from 10-2pm signing her cooking books. They're the ones you see on the racks at Longs, Borders etc with the collated binding and lots of local recipes for main dishes and desserts. Don't read the preface though, she loves to talk about da family in da past in Hilo back in da 60's.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      The Ala Manoa Foodland sells brown rice sushi. I tried it a couple of times so far, it seems to be okay.
      On tonight's Sam Choy's Kitchen on KHNL, the first segment featured Brown Rice Sushi and Musubi by Chef Kelvin Ro of Diamond Head Market and Grill (formerly Burgerland) on Monsarrat street. The recipes should be published next week on that MidWeek link.

Looked oishii!
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

vim and vigor at ala moana used to sell brown rice musubi. l & l drive in, kaneohe, lets you substitute white for brown rice and tossed salad instead of mac. i think it costs extra, but i could be wrong.
        "chaos reigns within.
        reflect, repent and reboot.
        order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Brown rice has the bran on it. Bran is high in magnesium - #1 on the Mg chart. Magnesium is important to help muscles relax, especially under heavy exertion.

Cramps on the football field can almost always be traced to magnesium deficiency. Cramps are 2 pronged. Potassium and Water help to prevent them. Magnesium helps them go away quickly.

If you have a child playing hard sports like football, switching to brown rice will help a lot. Pumpkin seeds will do the same thing.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
            Brown rice has the bran on it. Bran is high in magnesium - #1 on the Mg chart. Magnesium is important to help muscles relax, especially under heavy exertion.

Cramps on the football field can almost always be traced to magnesium deficiency. Cramps are 2 pronged. Potassium and Water help to prevent them. Magnesium helps them go away quickly.

If you have a child playing hard sports like football, switching to brown rice will help a lot. Pumpkin seeds will do the same thing.
            i've heard of these findings. also, it's been said that magnesium helps in maintaining blood pressure levels.
            "chaos reigns within.
            reflect, repent and reboot.
            order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
              I think I may know why it doesn't happen but I will ask anyway. By any chance is their such a thing as brown rice sushi?
              Vim and Vigor health food store used to have them. I don't know if they still make it.

Comment

we haven't bought a bag of white rice for over five years. We only eat brown. If we cook three cups of brown rice, we fill the water to the 4 line. If we cook four cups of brown rice, we fill it to the 5 line. If we are making a pan of brown rice, eight cups gets used, water filled to the 10 line.

pax

Comment

Are there recipes for use with brown rice, be it musubi or fried rice?
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

I make b/rice musubi all the time. Aside from the water recommendations, nothing differs, regardless of recipe.

pax

Comment

Working...
                    X