Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What makes you local?

I wen bus da mayonaisse jar with all the pennies

And dakine Rap...Eh Russell...YOU GET PEN!!!

And: Slow down...wat you tink dis is AUTOMATION!!!!

Unsuspecting dog...little does he know...MANONG IN DA SHADOWS!!!!

Rap was da best!!! Too bad he stumbled across the pakalolo field in St. Louis park. yeah das the rumor about his death. Nobody falls down on a well-travelled hiking trail in the middle of Honolulu and dies.

To Rap...FAITH YANAGI...I LOVE YOU!!!!! bum bum bum bum!!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Oh, da guy was Russel. What a pes!

Confounit! I tryin for tink!

Oh, you do dat again, I goin karang yo allas.

Now, where were we? Hello?

Oh, tourists!

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana
        Mokihana dem from ‘Ohana Lanai wen hele to Chreads.

Mokihana dem stay heah at Chreads but no stay gone from da Lanai.

Lurkah dem no stay now but stay huli lataz. Howevah, Mokihana stay now.

HALA I going telll. nah nah nah. Like make difference. Cute doe CHREADs. Ok I go come stay go now cause bumbye you going stay come go hah. Can or no can? Az why hud eef peoples get all huhu reading dis kine hammajang style walaau-ing. Oh, duh ~ writing. Wotevas.
        K~den I betta shuddup bumbye somebody get all pilikia.

Malama pono, all'a'y'all

Can take da Tita outta da islands but no can take da islands outta da Tita.

Dats a maika'i thing.
        ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

... you know where da kine stay.
          ... even when you stay wearing long sleeve, slacks, tie and nice-nice hair, tourists still ask you for directions.
          ... you arrive at the party at 7:30 (or later) even though the invitation said 6pm
          ... you can talk story with a complete stranger on the phone
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Being local is da kine:

27) HON make me plate!
            28) No worry beef curry.
            29) False crack medivac
            30) Try try
            31) Stupidhead
            32) Wotchu looking at, big eye long neck.
            ~Lika

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//

Comment

Gotta grad from one high school in Hawaii but cannot be Radford.

When someone says, "Uluwatus" you know where it is.

And you know better not to buy the stuff in the center aisle of Long's Drugs before Wednesday. If you gotta ask why, den you ain't local.

Don't buy your fresh fish from Kam Swap meet after 6am even though it's been on ice ALL DAY LONG.

Kanaka Maoli say, "Ma Uka" Locals say, "Mau Ka"

Kanaka Maoli say, "Ka Imu Ki" Locals say, "Kai Muki"

Haole say, "Catalina Islands" Locals say, Hawaii.

Know how to cook rice using the finger method (yeah that's old I know)

You say Jean Charlot, "John Charlotte" and you still don't know who it is.

You think Kau kau is Hawaiian (it's not it's chinese)

You have to mumble the words to the state anthem because you wen cut class during elementary school time and nevah learn em.

You still say, "MTL" Older locals still say, "HRT"

And finally you know you local is wen you get all mento wen someone splash Ala Wai water on you!!!!! Ahhhhhh braddah go shi shi on me! No wait das for Man O War...!!!!

Comment

You still yell "GO BOWS!" at UH sporting events.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                  You still yell "GO BOWS!" at UH sporting events.

nah you say um from home...cuz I hate da traffic and wen dem buggahs lose you jus turn change channel and watch Mike Sakamoto catch one Ulua.

Comment

When my daughter dances hula and tears of joy stream down my face.
                    When I slow down and blink my lights to let a guy take a left.
                    When playing music at the beach with 'da bruddahs'.
                    When I am patient standing in a slow line.
                    Anytime I am helping with the food or cooking at a get together.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                      Dat must be Kona Local. I neveh wen do any of dat stuff cuz I was local.

Music at da beach? Yeah C&K Kalapana, Country Comfort, Olomana, anything from Gabby.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                        Raising one in toast to you, Tim. (Okay, an imaginary one, because I'm still at work, but you get what I mean.)

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          watch Mike Sakamoto catch one Ulua.
                          His show FISHING TALES lasted a long time on OC-16. Last I heard he went national with some show on ESPN or something like that.

I've heard many say they couldn't stand Harry Kojima on Let's Go Fishing, but I actually really liked him. Probably because I grew up watching that show EVERY Sunday.. even taping episodes when I was away. I liked Harry's Kitchen too (right after Let's Go Fishing).

>You know you local when you get all da' Merry Monarchs, local fishing & cooking shows and Rainbow Wahine tournament playoffs (the only one worth taping) archived on VHS (that you never ever re-watched).
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                            His show FISHING TALES lasted a long time on OC-16. Last I heard he went national with some show on ESPN or something like that.

I've heard many say they couldn't stand Harry Kojima on Let's Go Fishing, but I actually really liked him. Probably because I grew up watching that show EVERY Sunday.. even taping episodes when I was away. I liked Harry's Kitchen too (right after Let's Go Fishing).

>You know you local when you get all da' Merry Monarchs, local fishing & cooking shows and Rainbow Wahine tournament playoffs (the only one worth taping) archived on VHS (that you never ever re-watched).

And no forget...whenever you or your kid does the KHON EON (End of Newscast) shaka sign...you get em on tape!!

Comment

Hi,

If you can speak pidgin,consider as a local.The different kinds of pidgin English have preserved the basic grammatical features of English, at the same time incorporating a number of non-English syntactical characteristics. The great majority of words in pidgin English are of English origin, but there are also Malay, Chinese, and Portuguese elements. As a result of European settlers bringing to the Caribbean area large numbers of slaves from West Africa who spoke different languages, other pidgins evolved in that region that were based on English, Portuguese, Dutch, French, and Spanish. Examples of pidgins based on non-European languages are Chinook, once used by Native Americans in the Pacific Northwest, and Lingua GĂȘral, based on a Native American language and used in Brazil.
                              Last edited by Martina; August 8, 2006, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martina
                                http://www.pacificislandbooks.com/pidgin~1.jpg
                                Good lord, no...

Comment

Working...
                                X