Thread: HT Recipes: Soup

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HT Recipes: Soup

This is the place for Hawaii Threads members to share your favorite soup recipes.

Hot, cold, entree or side dish. Soup warms the soul.

Default Jook Recipe by Pomai

Jook (also called "Chook" and Congee) is a rice porridge soup introduced to Hawaii by Chinese immigrants during the plantation era. It's now a local tradition to make this soup after Thankgiving with the leftover turkey. Other variations exist such as Chicken (Gai Jook). Also pork and beef, though turkey is by far the most popular version in Hawaii. The perfect dish on a cool Hawaiian winter night.

Jook

Serving size: A small army or several hungry Jook fans

Soup:
    Turkey bones (the whole carcass, including some meat still on)
    Turkey meat (whole leftover meat, white and dark), shredded
    Rice (white medium grain, regular 'kine like Hinode) - 3 to 5 cups
    Ginger, roughly chopped - about 1 "finger"
    Chung Choi (preserved salted turnip) You can find this in the asian section of any supermarket. Chopped rough (leave the salt on) - 1 piece
    Peanuts (raw, peeled) - amount at your discretion
    Water - enough to cover bones and fill pot
    Cooking Oil - 2 oz. (1/4 cup)
    Hawaiian Salt

Garnish: (chop each finely)
    Chinese Parsley (a.k.a. Cilantro)
    Green Onion
    Choong Choi, rinse salt off
    Water Chestnuts
    Cashews (unsalted)
    Lettuce, shredded
    Shoyu
    *The garnishing possibilites are up to you.. be creative!

In a bowl, rinse raw rice in water and drain. Pour about 1 oz. of oil and sprinkle Hawaiian salt lightly, then toss to coat. Let the rice "marinate" in this overnight at room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap. This is what's called "Hoy Fah".. to make the rice "bloom like a flower".

In a very large stock pot, pour 1 oz. of oil. Set stove dial to medium-high and place in Turkey bones. You want to brown the bones a bit, as this will add flavor to your stock. After the bones have browned slightly, pour in water to cover and fill pot about 5/6th from the top. Throw in chopped Choong Choi and ginger. Bring to boil then let simmer for about 2-3 hours.

Strain turkey broth from bones, choong choi and ginger through a sieve into another pot the same size. discard the bones and other stock ingredients. Important: Don't use any of the meat that was on those bones, as it no longer has any flavor.. it's just straw!

Return turkey broth to stove. Add marinated raw rice to pot and bring to boil, then reduce to simmer. Add turkey meat and raw peanuts. Let the whole thing simmer until the rice becomes very soft and the broth becomes gelatinous from the starch in the rice. The turkey meat should also be tender and loose. This should take about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.

When the Jook reaches a porridge-like consistency, finish it by adding Hawaiian Salt to desired taste. Don't overdo the salt. Just enough to bring out the flavor. If the Jook is too thin, you can always add more raw rice and let it simmer longer. Do this until it's just the right thickness.. like a loose porridge.

Enjoy hot with your favorite garnishes.

Last words: I've made this recipe 4 years in a row and everytime it was a family hit. Someone said it was better than Jook they've tried in Hong Kong. The quantities given are approximate. You will need to use your own "soup-making judgement" which will give your Jook your signature. A key ingredient in good Jook is the Chung Choi. You can omit it, but it will be missing that "special something" that Jook fans expects to taste. Also, don't forget the garnishes. That's what gives it added flavor, character and texture contrast. I thank my calabash Chinese aunt for teaching me how to make this. ~ Pomai
    Last edited by Pomai; November 26th, 2005 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added Introduction

Default Re: HT Recipes: Soup

Anybody get good recipe for Portagee Bean Soup? I do mine sort of "oyoso" and was curious about how other people make it. Any unusual seekrit ingredients? Share?

eta: I'm not looking for "googled" recipes or strictly cookbook recipes. I'm looking for tried and true, this is the way I make it for my family kine recipes
    Last edited by Adri; September 1st, 2006 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adri
    Anybody get good recipe for Portagee Bean Soup? I do mine sort of "oyoso" and was curious about how other people make it. Any unusual seekrit ingredients? Share?

eta: I'm not looking for "googled" recipes or strictly cookbook recipes. I'm looking for tried and true, this is the way I make it for my family kine recipes
    I see all kine ways of making Portugese soup - some pretty wierd kine!
    But da best is my Moms simple recipe - just ham shanks, portugese sausage, beans, cabbage, tomato sauce and macaroni. The real key ingreideint is high quality ham shanks, not ham hocks.

I get the exact stuff if you are really interested in a good, simple recipe from my mom tommorow after work and post 'um here..........

edit: Lol, ok, mebbe you do want the recipe since I just googled "oyoso"

eh, and no fo get - the difference between one Portagee and one Portugese.. da Portugese guy get papers!
    Last edited by Kahalu'u_Chrome; September 1st, 2006 at 10:40 PM.
    It doesn't take money to make someone smile for a little bit. All it takes is Aloha. ~ Auntie Lynn

Auntie Lynn's Port. Bean Soup

Ingredients

1 Pkg. Cut Pieces Ham Hocks
    1 Pkg. Port. Sausage
    1 can Kidney beans
    1 can Garbanzo Beans (optional)
    handful of macaroni or spagetti noodles
    1 cup sliced cabbage
    1/2 cup sliced onions
    1 cut carrot
    2 Potatoes (cut into fourths)
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    1 bunch cilantro
    1 bay leaf
    2 large cans tomato sauce
    1 whole can tomato
    pepper,salt, garlic powder to taste
    msg (optional)

Preparation

Of course, wash all your ingredients good.
    Put Ham Hocks into big pot. Cover with water over three inches higher. Add everything else. Boil till everything comes soft - usually takes between 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours. Last 1/2 hour throw in cut potatoes. Onolicious!

Note: if too much water(this is first recipe) take some out. play with recipe till it becomes yours. heheheh

Auntie Lynn

Auntie Lynn's Family Secret as shared on KHON@ with Malolo Morales -
    whenever making meat soft - put in a metal spoon into the pot and boil along with your food.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Auntie, I definately goin' try 'dis one. Sounds so ono! I love to dip french bread with buttah' on top in dis' 'kine soup. Winnahz!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine

Ingredients

1 Pkg. Port. Sausage
    1 can Kidney beans
    1 cup sliced cabbage
    1/2 cup sliced onions
    1 cut carrot
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    1 bunch cilantro
    1 bay leaf
    1 whole can tomato
    msg (optional)

Preparation

Put Ham Hocks into big pot. Cover with water over three inches higher. Add everything else. Boil till everything comes soft - usually takes between 1-1/2 hours to 2 hours. Last 1/2 hour throw in cut potatoes. Onolicious!

Note: if too much water(this is first recipe) take some out. play with recipe till it becomes yours. heheheh

Auntie Lynn

whenever making meat soft - put in a metal spoon into the pot and boil along with your food.

This part is especially interesting. Never heard of this meat tenderizing method before. Sounds like some metallurgical reaction between the (stainless steel?) spoon and the pot that does the trick. Which may bring to question exactly which type (metal-wise) of pot would work best for this to be effective.

Whoah.. all of a sudden ʻdis bean soup stay "scientificicistist".

Iʻve done Portuguese Bean Soup before, and it took over 2 hours on medium simmer before the smoked ham hocks became fork-tender.

You right about daʻ bread. Moʻ buttah, moʻ bettah! Witʻ poi on da side, we stylinʻ.
    Last edited by Pomai; September 2nd, 2006 at 07:30 AM.

Ingredients

1 Pkg. Port. Sausage
    1 can Kidney beans
    1 cup sliced cabbage
    1/2 cup sliced onions
    1 cut carrot
    2 cloves garlic crushed
    1 bunch cilantro
    1 bay leaf
    1 whole can tomato
    msg (optional)

Preparation

Auntie Lynn

This looks terrific---I printed out the recipe!

Just one question---does it matter what brand of Portuguese sausage you use? Do you have a favorite? I want to get this right...

Thanks Auntie Lynn. I have used a variation of your recipe two times and two times good. I started up the recipe not realizing I was missing ingredients. So I had to make do with what I could find.

I kept forgetting to come on and thank you for your post!

Default Re: Jook Recipe by Pomai

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai
    Jook (also called "Chook" and Congee) SNIP! I thank my calabash Chinese aunt for teaching me how to make this. ~ Pomai

Pomai:
    I thank you for this. When I got my first civilian job here in Hawaii at Kaiser Permanente, the computer services department planned for Jook the Monday after Thanksgiving. We were all tasked with an ingredient. I was assigned dried orange peel, which I found at Times Beretania (had or still has a pretty good ethnic food section). They set up a crock pot with all the ingredients in the morning and by lunchtime we were all ready. It was wonderful. I think this is a meal that tastes best when enjoyed with many others.

I plan on printing out your recipe and saving it for this fall.

Mahalo, Pomai!

Kahalu'u_Chrome: One story about my "oyoso" cooking method I have a non-local friend who cooks a lot. She cooks dishes that use rice so I figured she knew how rice expands when tossed into things like soup. I made jook and she asked for the recipe. I told her ~ boil turkey bones, etc. etc. and then throw in some washed, uncooked rice. I figured she would know about how much. hee! It came out like rice pilaf but thicker. She cut the batch in half and froze the half, poured in more water and it thickened up again. She cut that batch in half and froze half, etc. It became our joke. The neverending pot of jook. She was giving it away to anyone who would take a chunk and still had some frozen in her freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Adri
    Kahalu'u_Chrome: One story about my "oyoso" cooking method I have a non-local friend who cooks a lot. She cooks dishes that use rice so I figured she knew how rice expands when tossed into things like soup. I made jook and she asked for the recipe. I told her ~ boil turkey bones, etc. etc. and then throw in some washed, uncooked rice. I figured she would know about how much. hee! It came out like rice pilaf but thicker. She cut the batch in half and froze the half, poured in more water and it thickened up again. She cut that batch in half and froze half, etc. It became our joke. The neverending pot of jook. She was giving it away to anyone who would take a chunk and still had some frozen in her freezer.
    LOL---kinda like sourdough starter..

Oxtail Soup

Parboil oxtails, clean and cut off fat. Put in large pot with lots of water, sliced ginger, raw peanuts, dried dates, star anise, 1 stalk celery and 1/2 onion. May add dash sake, hondashi. Some people add a can of beef broth. Cook until meat falls off the bone, take out celery, onion and anise. Actually, I use a crockpot and let it cook overnight.

Ladle into bowl and top with cilantro, green onions, water chestnuts, baby corn, whatever. Serve with grated ginger and shoyu for dipping.

Ty, Auntie Lynne, I have a huge pot on right now, I couldnt wait for a rainy day! Smells so good, cant wait!

When I eat portagee soup, I somehow adopted my nana's husband's knack for eatting it with a splash of ketchup inside. He one portagee that ate his that way. I guess what ever floats your boat.