Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HT Recipes: Soup

Oh, my gosh. Wow. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Auntie Lynn, mahalos to the max for your PBS recipe. At first I thought it was too much water, until it started to thicken and It Is the Bestest Soup! The Cilantro really makes it good!

Gonna go get more. I was going to serve this for supper, but I don't think it will last that long.....

Pomai, I printed out the Jook recipe for after Christmas. You guys are the best!

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
      In a large-ish pot, in hot goosefat, fry cut up leeks, carrots, onions, garlic, cabbage, potatoes, celery and pumpkin til sligtly brownd. Add thyme, bayleaf, salt, pepper, parsley, Tabasco, and a vegetable or chicken stock cube (optional), add soaked small white beans, or add a can of beans. Top with water and simmer til delicious.

Bacon, hambone, chickenfeets, or duck confit optional.

Darlin' exactly where in Hawaii am I gonna get goosefat without having to mortgage my house to Whole Paycheck? This might be French peasantry cooking at its finest, and for that I wanna spill your champagne into the street! You MOCK US!

Was it good?
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Haha Lavagal! My thoughts exactly!!

Here's one for the vegetarians - KRAZY KORN KCHOWDER! Yummy on rainy days and super easy to make! I love it!! Here's the basic recipe, but the possible additions (like jalapenos..) make it versatile.

Heat 1/3 cup butter or spread in big pot.
        Cook two onions finely chopped over med-hi heat for 5 min., or til golden
        throw in 2 or 3 crushed garlic cloves, and a scant tablespoon of cumin seeds
        Stir briskly for 1-2 minutes, then
        Add 2 medium large potatoes, diced, and 4 cups vegetable stock. (can use vegi bouillon cubes dissolved in hot water)
        Boil, then simmer 10-15 minutes

While simmering, open 1 can of corn, drain, and blend it with a few spoonfuls of the liquid in the pot. You can use a stick blender, or just dump the can of corn in a regular blender.

Add one more can of corn, drained, to the simmering soup. Cook 5 minutes. Add corn puree, cook 5 more minutes.
        Stir in 1 cup grated cheddar cheese. Melt.
        Add salt & pepper to taste, and 1/4 cup cream or milk.
        Garnish with fresh parsley or chives.
        And maybe some tortilla chips.
        Enjoy.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
          Darlin' exactly where in Hawaii am I gonna get goosefat without having to mortgage my house to Whole Paycheck? This might be French peasantry cooking at its finest, and for that I wanna spill your champagne into the street! You MOCK US!

Was it good?

Oh. Sorry. Yeah, it was delicious.

Goose and duck fat are plentiful around here, all the peasants (the French word for farmer is ''paysan') are busy force-feeding the birds to make foie gras and confit and maigret for Christmas. Christmas Eve is one big orgy of food that begins at midnight and doesn't stop til the kids wake up to open their presents.

Goose and duck fat in the winter are to SW France what mangoes are to Hawaii in June...can't even give the stuff away.

Someone gave me three gallons of rendered fat, so I canned it in smaller amounts and use it for everything possible. It's very nice for frying fries along with a clove of garlic or two.

(wanna trade for some ripe mangoes?)
          http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
          http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Seeing all these delicious soup recipes, I had to add in an old family recipe - vegetable beef soup.

Get two or three marrow bones, preferably shin bones with the meat on (and yes they are easily obtainable in Hawaii) Put the whole thing into a big pot and add water. Add some large chunks of celery, onion and carrots. Simmer until the marrow comes out of the bone and the meat is falling off the bone. About three hours. Pull the meat out and set aside. Using a slotted spoon, get all the vegetables out, leaving the broth (and marrow - that's where the flavor comes from). When the meat has cooled, shred it using your fingers - pulling out any big pieces of gristle and fat - and put back into the broth. Add two bags of mixed vegetables, a large can of whole tomatoes (squished between your fingers), a liberal splash of red wine and a good amount of salt (to taste). Simmer for an hour or so. My grandmother would then add barley, my mother would add potatoes and I make dumplings - 3-4 eggs beat slightly, a pinch of salt and mix in flour a little at a time until the mixture plops (slightly thicker than running, but thinner than sticking to) off the spoon. Get the soup to a rolling boil and spoon the dumplings into the soup. This should be added spoonful by spoonful. The dumpling should plop (best description I can think of) into the broth and sink to the bottom. As they begin to cook, they will rise to the top. Cover and continue cooking for about 15-20 minutes. You can't over cook them, but usually no one wants to wait any longer. The dumplings go first. So the next day, the soup is better, but rarely do I have any dumplings left.

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post

Was it good?

LG!! Back away from the NENE! NO, you cannot use the Nene!!

And you better get away from that mallard, too!

heeheehee

Comment

Matapule's favorite soup

Cheesey Corn Chowder

2 c. water
                2 c. diced raw potatoes
                1/2 c. diced raw carrots
                1/2 c. chopped celery
                1/2 small onion, chopped
                1 tsp salt
                1/4 tsp pepper

boil above for 10 minutes

meanwhile make white sauce:

1/4 c. melted butter
                1/4 c. flour
                2 c. milk
                2 c. grated cheddar cheese

stir flour into butter until bubbling on med heat
                add milk slowly and cook until comes to a boil and thickened
                remove from heat, add cheese and stir until a melted mess

Add cheese/white sauce to undrained vegetable/water mix
                Add 1 to 2 c. frozen corn
                (Optional) add chopped ham or shrimp or chicken as desired

Return all the above to low heat
                Stir occassionally until corn is warm
                Serve immediately with garlic toast

!Oiaue, ifo 'aupito!
                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Campbell's Soup Flavors Ranked, Worst To Best (yahoo.com)

I put tabasco sauce to give those soups flavor.

Comment

Working...
                  X