Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HT Recipes: Soup

Default Re: HT Recipes: Soup

Quote Originally Posted by jkpescador View Post
    Thanks Auntie Lynn. I have used a variation of your recipe two times and two times good. I started up the recipe not realizing I was missing ingredients. So I had to make do with what I could find.

I kept forgetting to come on and thank you for your post!
    You are very welcome jkpescador! This weather is great foa Portagee Bean Soup! I gotta make a pot soon too....with bread and lots of butta!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    This weather is great foa Portagee Bean Soup! I gotta make a pot soon too....with bread and lots of butta!

Auntie Lynn
    Sounds onolicious, Auntie L. My best soup recipe usually involves a can opener and a microwave

We're going to Foodland right now, and I just came back here to reread this thread and write out the ingredients for your podagee bean soup. We're going to make some tonight for my ohana's usual Sunday potluck. I don't know what "ham hocks" are though. Either does my wife. Maybe someone at the grocery store will know.

I can't wait to take all the credit for your recipe when everyone asks where we learned to make this. Nah, jus joke. We'll give you all da credit

pork udon soup

this is a recipe i got from a friend, it was told orally to me, so its mostly to taste. ive also made some adjustments, feel free to add your own.

4 packs udon
    4 cans chicken broth
    garlic
    1/2-1 lb pork shoulder
    shoyu
    vietnamese hot sauce
    fish sauce
    salt and pepper
    spinach
    1 egg

fry garlic and pork (cut into small pieces) in a little bit of oil, with seasoning to taste.
    add chicken broth, bring to boil. add fish sauce, vietnamese hot sauce to taste.
    add chopped spinach, break egg into soup, stir.
    add udon before serving.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I can't wait to take all the credit for your recipe when everyone asks where we learned to make this. Nah, jus joke. We'll give you all da credit
    Dear Marco, A recipe becomes yours ~ just play/add to it and it becomes your own. You made it...so you take the credit!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn

Oxtail Soup

Parboil oxtails, clean and cut off fat. Put in large pot with lots of water, sliced ginger, raw peanuts, dried dates, star anise, 1 stalk celery and 1/2 onion. May add dash sake, hondashi. Some people add a can of beef broth. Cook until meat falls off the bone, take out celery, onion and anise. Actually, I use a crockpot and let it cook overnight.

Ladle into bowl and top with cilantro, green onions, water chestnuts, baby corn, whatever. Serve with grated ginger and shoyu for dipping.

Ty, Auntie Lynne, I have a huge pot on right now, I couldnt wait for a rainy day! Smells so good, cant wait!

When I eat portagee soup, I somehow adopted my nana's husband's knack for eatting it with a splash of ketchup inside. He one portagee that ate his that way. I guess what ever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
    Dear Marco, A recipe becomes yours ~ just play/add to it and it becomes your own. You made it...so you take the credit!

Love and Aloha

Auntie Lynn
    Haha. Thanks Auntie L, but we already gave you the credit.

Just so you know, everyone loved it! Good thing I saved some for myself before serving it, because next time I looked, it was cleaned out!

Planning to make some more later this week, and I've got some ideas of my own to add to it. Mahalo again for the recipe!

Quote Originally Posted by dallascat70 View Post
    Ty, Auntie Lynne, I have a huge pot on right now, I couldnt wait for a rainy day! Smells so good, cant wait!
    heheheh

I'm sooo happy a lot of you are cooking it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Haha. Thanks Auntie L, but we already gave you the credit.

Just so you know, everyone loved it! Good thing I saved some for myself before serving it, because next time I looked, it was cleaned out!

Planning to make some more later this week, and I've got some ideas of my own to add to it. Mahalo again for the recipe!
    Thats great. What are you adding? Don't forget the bread with plenty butta! hahahaha

Auntie Lynn

Here's a bowl of Jook I made from this past TGD turkey....

I made the rice "porridge" kinda' thick in this batch, as you can see how gelatinous it looks in the spoon. Gotta' love those random pieces of turkey to chew on. Yum. It woulda' been nice if I had some chopped peanuts as an additional condiment, but nevah' stay get. The green is Chinese Parsley.

Hey, when you make Miso soup, how do you start your broth? If I'm lazy, I just add a packet of Dashi No Moto (bonito powder) to the hot water, add the miso paste and that's it. Otherwise, I start it by simmering Kombu (the really thick one) and a few pieces of saba, scallops and/or clams and simmer until it extracts the flavors, strain, then add the Dashi No Moto. That method adds unbeatable depth and character to the finished soup, making it taste much more authentic - not so generic. Learned that method from a Nihongin friend of ours. I prefer Shiro Miso (the white one).

I'd say my favorite soups are Clam Chowder, Chicken Noodle, Miso, Portuguese Bean and Jook; in no particular order - just depending on mood.

Safeway's deli soups are really ono too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post

I'd say my favorite soups are Clam Chowder.
    Which kind of clam chowder?

Although it tastes okay, the frequently-gluey "New England" clam chowder is far from authentic. Over-thickened with flour paste, often. Toss it in a bread bowl and serve it to the masses on Fisherman's Wharf.

I just had this discussion with a co-worker who is originally from Boston. Recipe? Salt pork, onions, potatoes, salt, pepper, clam liquor, milk, clams. Rather thin, compared to the stuff often served as New England style clam chowder.

I make a Long Island style chowder, which is similar to a Rhode Island clam chowder. The basic LI chowder from the 1600's is clams, clam liquor, onions, salt, pepper, and thyme. The modern version varies with the addition of salt pork, carrots, celery, potatoes, and a bit of tomato. The broth is still very milky-looking---not at all like that hideous Campbells Vegetable Soup with a Clam Passed Over it "Manhattan Clam Chowder."

Incidentally, I use the canned clams from Costco for my chowder now. Used to get them fresh, sometimes clamming from friends, in NY. The canned are pretty good. They even come with a bit of sand.

Pomai

I followed your jook recipe and it came out ono. Mahalo!

Quote Originally Posted by jkpescador View Post
    Pomai

I followed your jook recipe and it came out ono. Mahalo!
    Good to hear that. You're welcome.

I need help with my Miso soup.

Got a tub of miso, and followed the directions on the tub. Garnished it with green onions. It didn't come out bad, just my soup was like McDonalds coffe as compared with fresh Kona coffee. I ate it, but I'd never serve it to anyone else. What went wrong? I need some miso soup recipe tricks!
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

heh, turtlegirl? try looking at pomai's post #35 he talks about his way of making miso soup.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Fry a smashed garlic clove in a bit of butter and then add a grated zucchini. Add chicken or vegetable broth and bring just to a boil, then drop in an egg and stir gently. Top with a sprinkle of parsley and eat.

For a ton of great tasting and healthy soup recipes, just google - greek soup.

It was kinda rainy yesterday so I planned to make portuguese bean soup for dinner tonight thinking it might be a rainy night. I stopped off shopping after work and picked up smoked ham shanks and carrots and thought I had the rest of the ingredients. Today I was gathering the ingredients together and realized *eep* I have no portagee sausage. How can that be? I have reindeer sausage that a relative gave to me for Christmas and I can't bring myself to eat. I know it's probably good, but still. I guess no can make portuguese bean soup without the portuguese sausage. Back to the market I go.

In a large-ish pot, in hot goosefat, fry cut up leeks, carrots, onions, garlic, cabbage, potatoes, celery and pumpkin til sligtly brownd. Add thyme, bayleaf, salt, pepper, parsley, Tabasco, and a vegetable or chicken stock cube (optional), add soaked small white beans, or add a can of beans. Top with water and simmer til delicious.

Bacon, hambone, chickenfeets, or duck confit optional.

Soup is always better on the second day.

Oh, my gosh. Wow. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Auntie Lynn, mahalos to the max for your PBS recipe. At first I thought it was too much water, until it started to thicken and It Is the Bestest Soup! The Cilantro really makes it good!

Gonna go get more. I was going to serve this for supper, but I don't think it will last that long.....

Pomai, I printed out the Jook recipe for after Christmas. You guys are the best!

Quote Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
    In a large-ish pot, in hot goosefat, fry cut up leeks, carrots, onions, garlic, cabbage, potatoes, celery and pumpkin til sligtly brownd. Add thyme, bayleaf, salt, pepper, parsley, Tabasco, and a vegetable or chicken stock cube (optional), add soaked small white beans, or add a can of beans. Top with water and simmer til delicious.

Bacon, hambone, chickenfeets, or duck confit optional.

Darlin' exactly where in Hawaii am I gonna get goosefat without having to mortgage my house to Whole Paycheck? This might be French peasantry cooking at its finest, and for that I wanna spill your champagne into the street! You MOCK US!

Was it good?

Haha Lavagal! My thoughts exactly!!

Here's one for the vegetarians - KRAZY KORN KCHOWDER! Yummy on rainy days and super easy to make! I love it!! Here's the basic recipe, but the possible additions (like jalapenos..) make it versatile.

Heat 1/3 cup butter or spread in big pot.
    Cook two onions finely chopped over med-hi heat for 5 min., or til golden
    throw in 2 or 3 crushed garlic cloves, and a scant tablespoon of cumin seeds
    Stir briskly for 1-2 minutes, then
    Add 2 medium large potatoes, diced, and 4 cups vegetable stock. (can use vegi bouillon cubes dissolved in hot water)
    Boil, then simmer 10-15 minutes

While simmering, open 1 can of corn, drain, and blend it with a few spoonfuls of the liquid in the pot. You can use a stick blender, or just dump the can of corn in a regular blender.

Add one more can of corn, drained, to the simmering soup. Cook 5 minutes. Add corn puree, cook 5 more minutes.
    Stir in 1 cup grated cheddar cheese. Melt.
    Add salt & pepper to taste, and 1/4 cup cream or milk.
    Garnish with fresh parsley or chives.
    And maybe some tortilla chips.
    Enjoy.
    ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Quote Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
    Darlin' exactly where in Hawaii am I gonna get goosefat without having to mortgage my house to Whole Paycheck? This might be French peasantry cooking at its finest, and for that I wanna spill your champagne into the street! You MOCK US!

Was it good?

Oh. Sorry. Yeah, it was delicious.

Goose and duck fat are plentiful around here, all the peasants (the French word for farmer is ''paysan') are busy force-feeding the birds to make foie gras and confit and maigret for Christmas. Christmas Eve is one big orgy of food that begins at midnight and doesn't stop til the kids wake up to open their presents.

Goose and duck fat in the winter are to SW France what mangoes are to Hawaii in June...can't even give the stuff away.

Someone gave me three gallons of rendered fat, so I canned it in smaller amounts and use it for everything possible. It's very nice for frying fries along with a clove of garlic or two.

(wanna trade for some ripe mangoes?)

Seeing all these delicious soup recipes, I had to add in an old family recipe - vegetable beef soup.

Get two or three marrow bones, preferably shin bones with the meat on (and yes they are easily obtainable in Hawaii) Put the whole thing into a big pot and add water. Add some large chunks of celery, onion and carrots. Simmer until the marrow comes out of the bone and the meat is falling off the bone. About three hours. Pull the meat out and set aside. Using a slotted spoon, get all the vegetables out, leaving the broth (and marrow - that's where the flavor comes from). When the meat has cooled, shred it using your fingers - pulling out any big pieces of gristle and fat - and put back into the broth. Add two bags of mixed vegetables, a large can of whole tomatoes (squished between your fingers), a liberal splash of red wine and a good amount of salt (to taste). Simmer for an hour or so. My grandmother would then add barley, my mother would add potatoes and I make dumplings - 3-4 eggs beat slightly, a pinch of salt and mix in flour a little at a time until the mixture plops (slightly thicker than running, but thinner than sticking to) off the spoon. Get the soup to a rolling boil and spoon the dumplings into the soup. This should be added spoonful by spoonful. The dumpling should plop (best description I can think of) into the broth and sink to the bottom. As they begin to cook, they will rise to the top. Cover and continue cooking for about 15-20 minutes. You can't over cook them, but usually no one wants to wait any longer. The dumplings go first. So the next day, the soup is better, but rarely do I have any dumplings left.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast