Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappearing eating establishments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Disappearing eating establishments

Two restaurants which have been mentioned on this forum are gone.

"Marbella" has become the "777 Grill and Karaoke". I only went to Marbella once, wasn't much impressed. But I very much doubt I'll visit its successor.

"Cuisine Tony" is also gone. It began as a "fusion restaurant" with one of the most amusing menus in town. I loved the Saturn Pork Chops. Then it transformed into an ordinary Chinese family-style restaurant. Food was good, but not exceptional. Now it is "Pho One". Just what this town needs, another pho pusher. Must be good, though, because there are often people standing around outside waiting to get in at lunch time.

Default Re: Disappearing establishments

General Growth recently began making way for a new 200,000 sq. ft. 3-level Nordstrom Store, displacing many popular businesses that fronted Ala Moana Center on Kapiolani Blvd.

On that note, some may not be aware that Taiyo Ramen, So Gong Dong and Bakery Kapiolani have moved to new locations.

Taiyo Ramen has found a new location near Blockbuster on Piikoi.

So Gong Dong has found a new location in McCully Shopping Center.

Bakery Kapiolani is moving operations to their Aiea location.

Still, loyal customers who regularly walk their way to these establishments may find the new locations out of the way. Also, the lease rent for these businesses will be double to triple what they paid before.

See this article:
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...510160306.html

Unhappy Re: Disappearing establishments

Wal-Mart`s in town people.
    Stay-tuned for the next phase, and the next BIG box that wants in,in,in....

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai
    Da new store is dat big?

Where will college students park?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Helen's Chinese Food in Kapahulu to close Sunday, April 30.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/29/f...s/story01.html
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle

Thanks for the heads up, Erika. I wasn't aware that Helen's was closing tomorrow. I will have to work in a visit before then. Their Duck Noodle is the best.
    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

One of my personal favorites closed its doors on Sunday. Jimmy's Lakeside Bakery Cafe in Wahiawa is no more. I will miss the pizza and Oahu's best French Dip sandwich. The good news is that their pastry and catering business, Signature Sweets & Catering, continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle

Thanks, no wonder when I went in the other day it looked different! There was a young couple running it, but they still had the huge gold fish! I just thought they were family who took over the business and renovated. I ordered the shrimp fried rice, different but good. They still carry the name and phone number, is that fair to unknowing customers? Same name and phone number, yet different style of cooking according to the article.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3mydoggies
    They still carry the name and phone number, is that fair to unknowing customers?
    no! i wonder what legal recourse unknowing customers have?!

This afternoon while walking by the former Jack in the Box on the Corner of Kalakaua Ave. and McCully., there was an active renovation in progress.

Come to find out from the workers on site, coming soon will be a Chinese Buffet restaurant.

They refused to give the specific business name. We'll soon find out.
    Last edited by Pomai; May 4th, 2007 at 11:17 PM.

According to news tonight, The Crouching Lion restaurant in Kaa'awa (Oahu N. Shore, just before Kahana bay), which opened in 1957, will be closing doors tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    According to news tonight, The Crouching Lion restaurant in Kaa'awa (Oahu N. Shore, just before Kahana bay), which opened in 1957, will be closing doors tonight.
    Ian Lind had that on his blog today and steered us to KHON's story at this link, which includes:
    Another landmark restaurant on Oahu is closing.
    Tonight is the last night for the restaurant at the Crouching Lion Inn ... in Kaaawa.
    Although the owner says he plans to re-open in the future, employees fear that it's closed for good.
    The Crouching Lion Inn was built in 1927 as a coach stop for circle island travelers, named after the legendary rock formation.
    It's restaurant opened in 1957.
    The restaurant was re-named Michael's at the Crouching Lion when owner Michael Abreu took over.
    Last week he told his employees he's closing the restaurant...although he hopes to re-open it next year.
    Michael's at the Crouching Lion closes tonight at ten.
    The gallery at the Crouching Lion Inn, which is next to the restaurant, will remain open for business.
    Geez, I had dinner there just a couple of months ago with a friend who was visiting from the mainland, and I was pleasantly surprised that dinner was quite good. (CLI had gone downhill in the past, as they focused more on drawing in tourist buses, but a few months ago they'd improved.)
    I hope they do re-open...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
    [...]I hope they do re-open...
    Me too. Would be so nice to see a La Mariana/Tahitian Lanai/Don the Beachcombers decor in that location. It's a perfect spot for it. That, and good food! Just my 2!

I called my friend who owns the restaurant, "Tropicaina" in Punalu'u today. He asked me if I heard of Crouching Lion closing which I did due to this thread. LOL...

My friend said he's in negotiations with Crouching Lion to buy their tables, and possibly other paraphernalia. Tropicaina used to be, "Maliko's" which in turn used to be "Paniolos". Here are some pics from the grand opening last June 30, 2007. This is the front of the restaurant.

This is part of the extensive grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I called my friend who owns the restaurant, "Tropicaina" in Punalu'u today. (...) My friend said he's in negotiations with Crouching Lion to buy their tables, and possibly other paraphernalia.
    Hmmmm. Selling their furnishings isn't a good sign for Crouching Lion re-opening. Unless their plan is to buy all new furnishings. Hmmmm.

Tropicaina used to be, "Maliko's" which in turn used to be "Paniolos". Here are some pics from the grand opening last June 30, 2007.
    Thanks for posting those, Beau. I've eaten there under its various names over the years, but haven't been to the newest incarnation yet. That'll move higher up on my To Do list!

Beau, mahalo for that. I was just going to ask what was now located at this that Punalu'u locaton. When I lived out that side way back when, it was Paniolo Cafe, then a popular stop for Harley riders circling the island.

It's gotta' be tough staying afloat as a restaurant in such remote locations like Crouching Lion and Tropicaina in Punalu'u. They surely must rely heavily tour bus stops. Without that, just the casual passersby seems would hardly be enough.

I also vaguely remember (we ate there a few times) Pat's at Punalu'u Restaurant in the namesake' apartment building out there, which had a fine dining format overlooking the ocean.

I'd like to hear more about Tropicaina (is that spelling correct?). What's on the menu? Is it good? If so, perhaps on my next drive out N. Shore I'll stop by.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    I called my friend who owns the restaurant, "Tropicaina" in Punalu'u today. He asked me if I heard of Crouching Lion closing which I did due to this thread. LOL...

My friend said he's in negotiations with Crouching Lion to buy their tables, and possibly other paraphernalia. Tropicaina used to be, "Maliko's" which in turn used to be "Paniolos". Here are some pics from the grand opening last June 30, 2007. This is the front of the restaurant.

This is part of the extensive grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
    According to news tonight, The Crouching Lion restaurant , will be closing doors tonight.
    Well that sucks. A landmark is right.

Well, now the owner is claiming strongly that the place will re-open in just a few weeks!
    You can read this article in today's Star-Bulletin, which includes:
    The nostalgic Crouching Lion restaurant, nestled beneath the Koolau mountains on Oahu's North Shore, has shut down after being ordered to remove its cesspool or face millions of dollars in federal fines.
    Both the landowner and tenant voluntarily closed the 50-year-old eatery -- now known as Michael's Restaurant and Sports Lounge at the Crouching Lion -- on Sunday while a new sewage system is installed to replace the existing cesspool. Cesspools have been banned by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, which inspected the property in October.
    The owners hope to reopen the restaurant in early 2008...
    Much more at the link above. And it's also at this link in today's Advertiser, including:
    Abreu said he expects the closing to be temporary and hopes to reopen the restaurant in a "matter of weeks."
    (...)
    Abreu said he does not have a specific date since the bulk of the work will involve replacing an aging cesspool with a septic system as required by the federal Environmental Protection Agency. He said he plans to rehire the laid-off employees but gave no firm date.
    (...)
    A sign on the door reads: "The landowner will be installing a new commercial grade septic system as required by the EPA in the near future. We will take that time to complete the renovations of our facility and will reopen early next year."
    Apparently, then, we can be cautiously optimistic.

sansei Guest

hi today i visited kam shopping center and i learned that where star market was,now they have a big banner saying times supermarket is now open so i saw one former star worker now being employed by time's and im glad some of them who once worked for star is still employed at time's.

well thank's for your time=O)

sansei Guest

hi,i do miss the former star market is they had good price's and time's that's their now at kam center will have higher price's not like starmarket's and the employee's of star were very kind only the one's who will now work at time's except for a few who's from the formerly star are kind and the one's who will be employed at time's from other store's,

some maybe kind and some maybe not kind is i've experienced the worker's at a certain time's and some were good and some were'nt so kind so i thought to share this with everyone.

well thanks for your time=O)

I drove past the former Star Market Moiliili yesterday, which closed last Monday. I was surprised to see that the parking lot was full. There was a big sign saying "Closeout Sale." I tried to double back and see what was on sale, but there were just too many cars. I'm not sure what they were selling. Non-perishables? Store fixtures?

I don't know if the sale is continuing.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
    I drove past the former Star Market Moiliili yesterday, which closed last Monday. I was surprised to see that the parking lot was full. There was a big sign saying "Closeout Sale." I tried to double back and see what was on sale, but there were just too many cars. I'm not sure what they were selling. Non-perishables? Store fixtures?

I don't know if the sale is continuing.
    Maybe they're selling off their merchandising items like racks and such.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
    I drove past the former Star Market Moiliili yesterday, which closed last Monday. I was surprised to see that the parking lot was full. There was a big sign saying "Closeout Sale."
    It's probably like the Closeout sale at Circuit City with "Get nuthin' already" in the store.

Has The Hawaiian Hut show room at the Ala Moana Hotel closed?

Pacific Business News reporting that the Pardise Cafe downtown is closing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast