Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappearing eating establishments

Two restaurants which have been mentioned on this forum are gone.

"Marbella" has become the "777 Grill and Karaoke". I only went to Marbella once, wasn't much impressed. But I very much doubt I'll visit its successor.

"Cuisine Tony" is also gone. It began as a "fusion restaurant" with one of the most amusing menus in town. I loved the Saturn Pork Chops. Then it transformed into an ordinary Chinese family-style restaurant. Food was good, but not exceptional. Now it is "Pho One". Just what this town needs, another pho pusher. Must be good, though, because there are often people standing around outside waiting to get in at lunch time.

Re: Disappearing establishments

General Growth recently began making way for a new 200,000 sq. ft. 3-level Nordstrom Store, displacing many popular businesses that fronted Ala Moana Center on Kapiolani Blvd.

On that note, some may not be aware that Taiyo Ramen, So Gong Dong and Bakery Kapiolani have moved to new locations.

Taiyo Ramen has found a new location near Blockbuster on Piikoi.

So Gong Dong has found a new location in McCully Shopping Center.

Bakery Kapiolani is moving operations to their Aiea location.

Still, loyal customers who regularly walk their way to these establishments may find the new locations out of the way. Also, the lease rent for these businesses will be double to triple what they paid before.

See this article:
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...510160306.html
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Wal-Mart`s in town people.
      Stay-tuned for the next phase, and the next BIG box that wants in,in,in....
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
        Da new store is dat big?

Where will college students park?
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Helen's Chinese Food in Kapahulu to close Sunday, April 30.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/29/f...s/story01.html
          I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
            Helen's Chinese Food in Kapahulu to close Sunday, April 30.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/29/f...s/story01.html

Thanks for the heads up, Erika. I wasn't aware that Helen's was closing tomorrow. I will have to work in a visit before then. Their Duck Noodle is the best.
            Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

One of my personal favorites closed its doors on Sunday. Jimmy's Lakeside Bakery Cafe in Wahiawa is no more. I will miss the pizza and Oahu's best French Dip sandwich. The good news is that their pastry and catering business, Signature Sweets & Catering, continues.

Comment

Another one gone. Deb's Ribs and Old School Soul Food closed. I'll miss her ribs, hush puppies and country fried potato salad. Her BBQ sauce is available at Sam's Clubs here and in SoCal.

Comment

I see the former KC Drive Inn is going to be the future home of First Hawaiian Bank.

Why so big and TALL though? Isn't their downtown tower enough for administrative offices?

I'm just glad it isn't going to be another damned storage facility, which is what the iron beam skeleton appears to look like.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp
                    Another one gone. Deb's Ribs and Old School Soul Food closed. I'll miss her ribs, hush puppies and country fried potato salad. Her BBQ sauce is available at Sam's Clubs here and in SoCal.
                    I hadn't heard that it had closed. Sorry to hear it, but in all honesty, her food was a bit pricey. Very good, but just a wee bit too expensive for local take-out stuff.
                    I wish her luck. She's a nice lady---anyone know if she is still working at Castle?

Comment

Yum Yum Tree just closed last year.

This is from a long time ago, but I used to go to Bluebird Drive-In in Pearl City in the 1970's. They've been gone a long time, but I could not recall just where they were.

Last week I was at the library and looked it up. It was 803 Kam Hwy. The building that holds Flamingo restaurant has that
                      address now. They say it was built in 1980.

When JC Penny's closed, I started making a list of well-known companies that closed since 1990. It started with just 15 but quickly became over 200 so I put it in my book.

It included places such as Arakawa's, Alex Drive-In, Andy's Drive-In, Byron II, Carol & Mary, Castagnola's, Dillingham, Following Sea, GEM, Gibson's, Hauoli, Holiday Mart, Honsport, Jolly Roger, Kelly's, Lyn's Delicatessen, King's Bakery, Kodak Hula Show, Mings, Mushashiya, Pottery, Spindrifter, Strawberry Connection, Suehiro, Swiss Inn, Tahitian Lanai, & Yick Lung. Sad.

BTW, there's only one Spencecliff left. There used to be 50. Who can name it?

Bob Sigall

Comment

Bob, are you going to publish a follow-up book to The Companies We Keep?!

It was sad when the last Castagnola restaurant closed shop in Waikiki in that 2 second floor location of a Hotel/Condo across Ft. DeRussy. At the time, he was the best Italian in town.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1

BTW, there's only one Spencecliff left. There used to be 50. Who can name it?
                          The Hawaiian Hut restaurant in the Ala Moana Hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                            Bob, are you going to publish a follow-up book to The Companies We Keep?!
                            I'm working on several concepts at the moment. All excite me, but I don't know which the public will respond to.

So I'm mocking up what they might look like and plan to show friends, bookstore owners and buyers and get their opinions.

What do you think?
                            1) The Companies We Keep - Volume 2 (I've collected more interesting Hawaii company stories, but need a lot more for a second book)

2) The Characters Behind the The Companies We Keep. (This would look at the lives, anecdotes and philosophies of well-known, interesting people in the islands).

3) The Companies We Keep Book of Games and Quizzes (there are 15 in my book now, and I've created almost 100 more for talks I've given. I've posted several here, such as Companies named for Movies, TV shows, Books and Songs)

4) Interesting stories about Hawaii Radio and TV stations (and the characters that have worked there).

5) Gift sized books about Hawaii Companies, Schools and Military. (These would be 5x7, maybe 70 pages long with lots of color pictures and short stories. Bookstores say they sell tons of these stocking-stuffers. I could probably come up with material to do one yearly for 10 or more years!)

Maybe I'll do all. I'm open to suggestions from all here at Hawaii Threads. What would YOU like to see? What would the public respond to best?

Aloha,

Bob Sigall
                            Last edited by Creative-1; June 10, 2006, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
                              [...]Maybe I'll do all. I'm open to suggestions from all here at Hawaii Threads. What would YOU like to see? What would the public respond to best?[...]
                              All of 'em!!! Really!

Comment

Working...
                              X