Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Today was the last day for Ma's Place on Kauai.
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Palomino is going away soon. They decided not to renew their lease. The good news is that George Mavrothalassatis of Chef Mavro will open a casual restaurant in the spot called Cassis Honolulu. The cuisine will be classic French bistro fare with Hawaii Regional influence. This news is really exciting to me as I'm a fan of classic French bistro food.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
        Palomino is going away soon. They decided not to renew their lease. The good news is that George Mavrothalassatis of Chef Mavro will open a casual restaurant in the spot called Cassis Honolulu. The cuisine will be classic French bistro fare with Hawaii Regional influence. This news is really exciting to me as I'm a fan of classic French bistro food.
        What is french bistro food perzactly? And where's SusieMisajon to help clarify it?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          What is french bistro food perzactly? And where's SusieMisajon to help clarify it?
          Steak, French fries, roast chicken, creme brulee, sweet tartes, savory tartes, French onion soup, nicoise salad (basically tuna salad with olives and vinaigrette), cream puffs though of course they are called profiteroles. Simpe, everyday food. I'm getting hungry just writing it down. Some of the example dishes I saw in the press release were a tarte tartin with li hing mui flavors and a tako-green papaya salad. Octopus is a typical French ingredient, but papaya is not so I guess that's where the HRC "spin" comes in. And, indeed, where is SusieMisajon?

Comment

ok...one mo for the books....Marukai 99 Cents store in Waipahuuuu! On Saturday, I went to go shop at the town center....I thought I was seeing things...but no ways! windows covered with paper, leasing sign...sad to say, was all pau....nice thing about dis store, had choke stuff for almost every household need...oh well

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
              And where's SusieMisajon to help clarify it?
              According to the Members listing, her last post was on November 4, but the last time she looked in here was January 29.
              Hope she's okay...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by hifotog View Post
                ok...one mo for the books....Marukai 99 Cents store in Waipahuuuu! On Saturday, I went to go shop at the town center....I thought I was seeing things...but no ways! windows covered with paper, leasing sign...sad to say, was all pau....nice thing about dis store, had choke stuff for almost every household need...oh well
                Perhaps the Waipahu folks felt they were being ripped off by the higher $1.49 price on most items and stopped going there.

Their inventory is often a toss-up of either crap that isn't even worth a penny, to items that belie its bargain-basement price. I've gotten pretty good mileage out of some of their 99 cent Chef's Knives. They sure are sharp right out of the package. Eventually rust sets in to its so called "Stainless Steel" blade and you just toss 'em.

I once found a postcard in there that simply said "Night time in Honolulu" on the back. The photo on the front wasn't even a photo. Just a BLACK, unexposed void of NOTHING. Now THAT'S truly "night time in Honolulu"... with no power or moonlight! I was gonna' send it in to Jay Leno, but never got around to it.

I sure miss the Tesoro Gas Station that was replaced with Wahoo's/Star##cks/Jamba Juice/Video Store on the corner of Auahi and Ward (fronting 99 Cent Store). It was so convenient for gas on my way to work, plus they were cheaper than the Shell up the street.

Note that the Chevron Gas Station across K-Mart on Nimitz Hwy. (just before Sam Choy's BLC) recently closed down as well. Anyone know what will replace that?
                Last edited by Pomai; February 6, 2007, 08:28 AM.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[QUOTE=glossyp;130044]Palomino is going away soon. They decided not to renew their lease.QUOTE]

I used to like Palamino, but they changed their menu and the food sucked. The aged meat, the kiawe wood smoked prime rib or whatever it was is gone. Even the Calamari Rings didnt taste the same.
                  Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    Note that the Chevron Gas Station across K-Mart on Nimitz Hwy. (just before Sam Choy's BLC) recently closed down as well. Anyone know what will replace that?
                    Whats the deal with the Chevrons closing? First Nuuanu, then the one by Redline, now another one?
                    It kind of looks like Nuuanu one might reopen again, not sure tho. They apparently did some remodelling in the repair bays, but cant really tell from outside.
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                      Whats the deal with the Chevrons closing? First Nuuanu, then the one by Redline, now another one?
                      It kind of looks like Nuuanu one might reopen again, not sure tho. They apparently did some remodelling in the repair bays, but cant really tell from outside.
                      Answer somewhat solved on the Nimitz (near K-Mart) Chevron location: there's a FOR SALE real estate sign up. The building itself has already been demolished. I can only imagine how much that property is worth. God Forbid the new buyer doesn't put up (or allowed) another condo there. I don't think the property area is large enough for another big box retailer.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Here I am...didja miss me?

French home cooking with Hawaiian flavour, or Hawaiian home cooking with French flavour?. Laulaus made with fatty duck. Li hing mui powder in the sorbets. Macadamia nut wafers. Portuguese sausage in the garbure soup. Mango and papaya mousse. Raw fish in the crudité platter. Ginger zest in the crepes suzettes. Watercress in the omlettes. Pot au Feu with taro chunks. Sweet potato and cream soup. Creme brulee with ohelo berries. White chocolate and macadamia Nutella. Roast chicken rubbed with char siu spice. Bayonne ham in sushi.
                        http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
                        http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                          The Nuuanu and Waiakamilo Chevrons were both owned by Richard Awakuni. Since they had the same owner, I wouldn't call it a rash of closings; you could really think of it as one closing. Awakuni runs an auto detailing business downtown now.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                            Here I am...didja miss me?
                            Yeah...where you been?

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I was saddened to learn that The Bistro at Century Center has closed. Didn't get to eat there often, but our dining scene is less complete now that The Bistro is no more.

Comment

other places I remember:

Tanoue's in Kaimuki, I remember my Kalani classmate Wendy Tanoue's family owned it and she worked there. It was a saimin place.

Swiss Inn in Niu Valley. It had very different food.

9th Avenue Snack Shop. I remember they had good teriburgers.

King's Bakery McCully. I loved the Chili with Cube Steak, some old Filipino cook made it. in the late 80's it changed after he retired.

My Family owned the following:
                                Chun Hoon Everybodys supermarket in Nuuanu

Wing Coffee Co. on Pauahi St. Famous for the Crack Seed barrels and Fresh Roasted Peanuts and Kona Coffee. My Great Grandfather (Chong Sum Wing) was responsible for starting Mun Lun Chinese School. He put up the $5000 in the early 1900's to start the school. My Grand Aunt (his daughter Marietta Eng) is one of the advisers of the school and she has written a few books on old Hawaii and Chinese families. (you can find her books on Amazon.com)

Chang & Sons (gone in the 60's) Chinese Merchants.

I went to Masu's last week and bought 4 Lau Lau Plates, still $3.95 or $5.20 for the works. Me and my son ate 1 the first day and ate the rest the next day. They have frozen Lau Laus for those of you who want to hold on to the flavor.....maybe sell it on ebay later!!! gotta get somemore before next week!
                                Last edited by speedtek; February 19, 2007, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X