Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing eating establishments

Couldn't decide whether this belongs in "disappearing" or "new" eating establishments (altho' the venue is more a 'drinking' establishment):

Anna Banana's becomes Ann O`Neil's soon - according to this PBN article:

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...1/daily36.html

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
      Anna Banana's becomes Ann O`Neil's soon - according to this PBN article:
      At least it's a better name than Anna Banana Hammock.

Comment

hi,i do miss the wisteria it was the best for japanese place's that they had the best tendon and i enjoyed their tendon. umai.or good.

well thank's for your time

Comment

We were at Honuz in Kailua for Father's Day - best prime rib ever - and the place was packed - Hawaiian music night, etc. Drove by there last night and the place is totally dark/empty! No furniture inside, no sign on the door - wha' happen?

Comment

Noticed Carls Jr. @ Kahala Mall is gone, not sure if it is a temporary thing as they are doing renovations at the mall right now.....

Comment

Does anyone have any information on the sugar free bakery Sweet Nothings? When they closed I had heard that the owner was thinking of opening a store out in Kapolei.
              GO RAIL GO!!!

Comment

Perry Boys Smorgy bites the dust . . . the thing I remember from that place long ago is mountains of canned corn in the veggie section. Not sure why that is/was so memorable . . .

Comment

the thing I remember from that place long ago is mountains of canned corn in the veggie section.
                  Was it this place and not Flamingo Chuckwagon?

Comment

I'm pretty certain both places had mountains of canned corn. A little off topic but does anyone remember Waikiki Sands and where it was located?

Comment

• The thrill is gone...

That 2 block stretch of Kap. Bl. from the old Advertiser bldg. to where The Chuckwagon was is SO desolate now, and moreso at night when there are actually events happening in the NBC/Palace districts. Just another complete dead zone in what used to be a mildly exciting town.
                      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

If I recall (it's been MANY years), Waikiki Sands was right on the beach, n'est ce pas? Maybe not, but I kind of remember going there for more than sufficient grindz as a "growing boy."

Comment

The Waikiki Sands I am referring to was to my knowledge Oahu's first all you can eat place and was located on the Ewa side of King Theatre. There was King Theatre, an alley with a shoe shine guy, and then Waikiki Sands. If I recall correctly it was something like $1.25 and the menu was very similar to Perry's Smorgasbord which came later. This was in the late 50's and early 60's.

It may have moved to Waikiki later but I do remember the original being in town.

Comment

You're totally right - I wasn't even thinking about downtown, but I DO remember going there.

Comment

You're totally right - I wasn't even thinking about downtown, but I DO remember going there.
                              ================================================== ===
                              Wow! I neva know that the Waikiki Sands was ever on King Street. The only one I remember was the buffet on Kalaukaua in Waikiki. As a "small kid" my family used to go there since we could eat all you can. I used to like the fried chicken and spaghetti --- go figure. The only other place I remember next to King theatre was the long and skinny lunch place owned by the Yamagata family. One of the son's is still doing restaurant business, with two places in Vegas.

BTW, the Waikiki location of the Waikiki Sands restaurant was there during the mid to late 50's. I don't think there were there into the 60s.
                              Last edited by Expat Kamaaina; September 1, 2010, 08:05 AM. Reason: Added comment

Comment

You know we are probably referring to the same place because I do remember the place being long and skinny, or deep and narrow but I also am certain that it was an all you can eat place called Waikiki Sands...and maybe it started in the early 60's. I have friends that I used to go there with and they also agree that it was called Waikiki Sands, so I don't know. anyway right or wrong it was a winnah place to eat at back in the day.

Comment

Working...
                                X