Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing eating establishments

KITV reporting this week that Peppa's on King Street has closed for good after a brush with e.coli.

Comment

Bombay in Discovery Bay is pau. In it's place is Monsoon India. My guess is same owner and a name change. Half off coupon HERE.

Comment

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
        John Dominis to be demolished, but another eatery/wedding chapel to be built in its place:
        http://www.khon2.com/news/local/stor....cspx?rss=1803

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          Bombay in Discovery Bay is pau. In it's place is Monsoon India. My guess is same owner and a name change. Half off coupon HERE.
          Learned recently that it's a new owner. Haven't checked the menu yet...not that I remember the old menu!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Wonder if it's the same owner who has the Monsoon India in Kihei on Maui?

Comment

does anyone know when the Kuhio Grill that was at 2646 So. King Street in Honolulu wnet out of business or if they moved and are still in business. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by pocho808 View Post
                does anyone know when the Kuhio Grill that was at 2646 So. King Street in Honolulu wnet out of business or if they moved and are still in business. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
                I think it went out of business in the mid or late 1970s, or early 1980s. There is a Kuhio Grill in Hilo today, but it is no relation to this iconic Mo‘ili‘ili tavern.

I remember going there in the late 1960s when I was at UH. And I remember it was still there in the early 70s. Since Kuhio Grill was near the UH (very close to Puck's Alley), there were a lot of students who went there. It was almost like going to a Korean bar, except the waitress were more like your Mom. You didn't buy them drinks; you just left them a good tip to pay for the "free" pupus they served you, so that next time you come, they would served you something good (again). We always went there to "study" (yeah, we brought our books), but by the second beer, it was a losing battle.

Here's a link to artist Doug Young website (with text by Glenn Grant) to get more info (and a painting) on this most unique bar/restaurant. Click on the "details" at the bottom right hand corner to see where it used to be.

Comment

Thanks for the info...greatly appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by pocho808 View Post
                    Thanks for the info...greatly appreciated!
                    "pocho" is a Mexican slang word and I know what it means....wink, wink
                    Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                      I think it went out of business in the mid or late 1970s, or early 1980s. There is a Kuhio Grill in Hilo today, but it is no relation to this iconic Mo‘ili‘ili tavern.

I remember going there in the late 1960s when I was at UH. And I remember it was still there in the early 70s. Since Kuhio Grill was near the UH (very close to Puck's Alley), there were a lot of students who went there. It was almost like going to a Korean bar, except the waitress were more like your Mom. You didn't buy them drinks; you just left them a good tip to pay for the "free" pupus they served you, so that next time you come, they would served you something good (again). We always went there to "study" (yeah, we brought our books), but by the second beer, it was a losing battle.

Here's a link to artist Doug Young website (with text by Glenn Grant) to get more info (and a painting) on this most unique bar/restaurant. Click on the "details" at the bottom right hand corner to see where it used to be.
                      I wrote about KG in my The Companies We Keep book. It opened in 1945, was my info.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                        KITV reporting this week that Peppa's on King Street has closed for good after a brush with e.coli.
                        Peter Kim, the owner, tells me the tests for e. coli. came back negative. I find it upsetting that the DOH goes public before it knows what the scoop is. They put a good place out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1 View Post
                          Peter Kim, the owner, tells me the tests for e. coli. came back negative. I find it upsetting that the DOH goes public before it knows what the scoop is. They put a good place out of business.
                          Yes, that's off the chart bogus.

Look's like Satura Cakes in Ward Warehouse by Borders may be done, stuff is still inside but lights out for a week.
                          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

I don’t know if this is the end or if it’s just temporary, but Tanabe Superette on Keeaumoku Street is closed. There’s a sign on the door that says “Closed until further notice.” Usually (from past experience), this means the end. If that’s the case, then it’s the end of a 94 year old name. They’ve been around since 1917. Absolutely some of the best musubi on the island. Great convenience store. Like a local-style 7-Eleven.

But then again, they may come back in another form. Or not.

Comment

The Beard Papa Cream Puff Shop in the Salt Lake Shopping Center closed. I always wondered how many little cream puffs they had to sell to pay their rent. They tried to diversify with breakfast cream puffs and meat cream puffs but it just wasn't enough.

My guilt wouldn't allow my fat body to buy and eat those calorie-laden morsels. I liked them very much but hadn't had one in well over a year.
                              You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz View Post
                                The Beard Papa Cream Puff Shop in the Salt Lake Shopping Center closed. I always wondered how many little cream puffs they had to sell to pay their rent. They tried to diversify with breakfast cream puffs and meat cream puffs but it just wasn't enough.
                                Not surprising at all. If Beard Papa couldn't even make a go of it in Waikiki (with all of the Japanese tourists there), they didn't stand much of a chance anywhere else on this island.

Erika Engle provides some details on the abrupt closing of Pablo's Cantina in Ward Centre.
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X