X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yummy Roy’s for my tummy!

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    If it’s true, that would be great news!
    It's true that Roy's is opening in Waikiki. But not at the old Jack-in-the-Box.

808Shooter was right. It'll be at the Waikiki Beachwalk.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
      If it’s true, that would be great news! Good for him. I thought Yamaguchi was concentrating his expansion on the neighbor islands and the mainland.
      Roy had a spot in Seattle at the Westin Hotel. The place closed down within a couple of years. I guess Roy was not destined to be a success in Seattle (but then again, neither was Wolfgang Puck...he opened up 2 restaurants here, both of which closed within a couple of years. Jeremiah Tower had a place called Stars in Pacific Place that went belly up, too). Seattle doesn't seem to be fertile ground for large corporate chain restaurants owned by big name chefs. But we do adore our local guys and have lots of great food.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
        neither was Wolfgang Puck...he opened up 2 restaurants here, both of which closed within a couple of years.
        You probably remember, Miulang, that a factor in the failure of one of them (Chinoise) was his wife's attitude when members of the Asian community confronted her regarding an old poster with an image of an Chinese man on it. They found it offensive, and she refused to remove it ("I have many Chinese friends, and none of them are offended!") - lots of negative publicity, and business plummeted after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
          You probably remember, Miulang, that a factor in the failure of one of them (Chinoise) was his wife's attitude when members of the Asian community confronted her regarding an old poster with an image of an Chinese man on it. They found it offensive, and she refused to remove it ("I have many Chinese friends, and none of them are offended!") - lots of negative publicity, and business plummeted after that.
          Yeah, and Wolfie is no longer married to Barbara Lazaroff, either! Saw him and his new chickie coming out of the Aureole Restaurant in Mandalay Bay the other year. His other place should have done better, because it was right at the top of Harbor Steps (where that Brazilian chiarroscuro restaurant is).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

• Re: Disappearing establishments

F-Y-I...

There's a brand new 7-Eleven in Niu Valley Shopping Center (east Oahu), in the former spot where 76 Service Station used to be. I was there this morning and it was bustling with (coffee & pastry sales) business. Reg. gas was $2.74/gallon. There was a coupon in the paper for a FREE Big Gulp, Manapua, Pork Hash and Big Bite hot dog, no purchase necessary.
            Last edited by Pomai; December 6, 2006, 07:43 AM. Reason: 2, not 7
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Another favorite to close its door. Expect massive lines for a last taste. After that, "no rice, no macaroni salad."
              http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...701050335/1071

Comment

Awwww...."Massive" was right - I could barely finish a mini-plate. Too bad to see them go, but if they were considering retirement anyway, then at least they are going out on a positive note.

Comment

Kyo-ya vs. Masu's: at least, you don't need reservations for Masu's, though you may have to hunt high-and-low for parking ........

Comment

Okay I wanna cry, I loooove Masu's so much

I love sharing the Aloha plate with my mom and still having some left over. Tastes so damn good. Heh, my friend in Arizona wants to come to Hawai`i just so he can eat at Masu's. Well he better get his butt here this month then
                    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      Kyo-ya vs. Masu's: at least, you don't need reservations for Masu's
                      Kyo-ya (Waikiki) vs. Masu's? Are you serious? You're not gonna' find 2 scoops of rice (rice, yes, but not in "scoops") and mac' salad on the menu at Kyo-ya, that's for sure!

Speaking of which, Kyo-ya Waikiki will soon be joining this thread as a "Disappearing Establishment".
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I know, I was so bummed to hear about Kyo-ya. They won Honolulu Magazine's Hale ‘Aina Award again this year for Best Japanese, Gold, and not sure if I am going to get there before end of March to accomplish my goal of visiting all the Hale ‘Aina Award winning restaurants. Has anyone heard if reservations are still even available for any reasonable times?

Comment

The coverage of Masu's impending closure was interesting. Early reports, like the Advertiser piece above, or the Star-Bulletin write up, gave the reasonable impression that Finance Factors' plans for the property accellerated Masuoka's retirement plans by a few years. (The assertion of the decision being "mutual" reeks of the "leaving to spend more time with his family" spin that goes with high-profile firings, especially since Masuoka's "I am looking to stay busy and enjoy retirement" quote comes from a Finance Factors press release.) He tells the Advertiser he was ready to go a couple more years, 'til he was 65, but the sense is that Finance Factors' needed the space now and gave him a nudge. Of course, he said he's tired and ready to go, anyway.

But by the time the TV cameras were crawling around, the Finance Factors role in the closure -- part of the lede in early reports -- was minimized or not mentioned at all, and it seemed more like Masuoka spontaneously decided it was time to hang up his apron. "It's time," he says, "Now is perfect." Though KGMB's report notes Masuoka's disappointment, the reports I recall from KITV and KHON were all smiles and sunshine.

Anyway, the guy has worked hard, and definitely deserves a break. Folks will line up to get some of that mac saland that Masuoka understandably says he'll be happy to leave behind.

Sounds like Finance Factors will keep the building, at least. The Star-Bulletin article linked above notes concerns over losing the architectural character and color of Liliha.

Comment

When did Mazal's Kosherland go out of business??? I admit that I had not been there in probably at least half a year minimum. Yesterday my friend and I got a craving for one of their lovely hummus-falafel sandwiches, washed down with the mint lemonade--but when we got there, there were only signs saying a tattoo place was going in there instead.

I can't say I'm surprised; I didn't think there was enough of a population to support the Kosher grocery store in such a hidden location, but I'm still disappointed.

A link to an old Star Bulletin article on the place:
                            http://starbulletin.com/2004/06/23/features/story1.html

And this one from the Advertiser kinda indicates many reasons the store probably didn't make it in the end:
                            http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../il/il13a.html

But I just want to know WHEN it left???
                            Last edited by AbsolutChaos; January 8, 2007, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                              When did Mazal's Kosherland go out of business??? I admit that I had not been there in probably at least half a year minimum. Yesterday my friend and I got a craving for one of their lovely hummus-falafel sandwiches, washed down with the mint lemonade--but when we got there, there were only signs saying a tattoo place was going in there instead.

I can't say I'm surprised; I didn't think there was enough of a population to support the Kosher grocery store in such a hidden location, but I'm still disappointed.
                              They've been gone for at least a month, maybe longer. No groceries available, but if you're craving Kosher deli-type food, there is a new spot in Manoa right next to Boston Pizza and It's a Beautiful Day Kafe called Yudi's Deli. Their website.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                                No groceries available, but if you're craving Kosher deli-type food, there is a new spot in Manoa right next to Boston Pizza and It's a Beautiful Day Kafe called Yudi's Deli. Their website.
                                Wow, interesting. Hopefully I can check that out some time.
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X