No announcement yet.

Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starbucks has announced the latest stores to be closed. 5 of them are in Hawaii:

Aloha Tower Marketplace
    Waikiki Shopping Plaza
    Borders in Windward Mall(likely to become Seattle's Best Coffee)
    Kings Shops at Waikoloa
    Shops at Maunalani

Except for the Borders location all in tourist markets...and the Borders location is a contract store.

Complete list here:http://news.starbucks.com/images/100...N282009_v3.pdf

Comment

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Fro Yo on King St. is closed.
      (Sorry if this is redundant. I searched HT every which way and nothing turned up even tho' I learned about Fro Yo here!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        (Sorry if this is redundant. I searched HT every which way and nothing turned up even tho' I learned about Fro Yo here!!!)
        that place can't hold up against the new places like YL, red mango, and Menchies.

Comment

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
          yokozuna, that bento / sushi place at ala moana across from curry house was closed when i drove by today.
          Went to the Ala Moana Food Court yesterday. YOKOZUNA is open again.

Comment

that place can't hold up against the new places like YL, red mango, and Menchies.
            Must admit I've not heard of any of 'em but will check them out. Still, Fro Yo is a disappearing (actually, disappeared) establishment!

Comment

Went hunting for lunch today in downtown and my friend and I decided to check out Zaney's on Nuuanu. To our dismay and hot walk in the sun it was closed!!! No chairs, no tables, nada! Don't know when they closed up but they had a pretty good garlic chicken.

Comment

Yesterday, while driving some San Jose friends around, I drove up Waialae Ave to see if Kaimuki Chop Suey disappeared. It's not boarded up anymore & I saw a neon (yup, neon) sign that said OPEN.

This might be the wrong thread to use, but has anybody tried KCS since it re-opened? Still get the same cheap prices?

Clarification:
                I juss checked yelp.com. KCS reopened last year after my last visit. While prices look about the same, very mixed bag of food / service reviews, I must say.
                Last edited by Palama Kid; May 9, 2009, 04:55 PM. Reason: Clarification
                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

• You'll never eat here again...

...what used to be the 2nd original Honey's (Don Ho's Mom's place in Kaneohe at the corner's of Kam. Hwy. and Lilipuna Dr.) that went thru a series of eatery name/owner changes over the decades is soon to be a bank.
                  https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Man, I'm missing Brew Moon. Their beer was da bes local kine.
                    kiddori

Comment

Stone Cold Creamy at the Keeaumoku Wal-Mart has closed up since June 15. There will be another store called Tutti-Fruity (I think that's how it is spelled) taking it's place.

Comment

hi,i still miss my most favorite Japanese Restaurant Wisteria and they had the best tendon that i had and it was oishi!

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                          i'm not sure it's a matter of "holding up against" the new places. froyo was (1) late in being low-carb (at a time when anti-carb sentiment was declining), (3) placed in a bad location for the type of product (best to be in a strip mall at least), and (2) made a poor choice of targeted clientele (you rarely saw families in there. mostly import car model or former miss hawaii usa contestants and their boyfriends. no, i don't fit the description i just gave.) the ascendancy of self-serve yogurt shops was just the cherry on top.

but i will admit--i was a froyo fan.
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

My apologies if this was already mentioned.

The Famous Footwear at Dole Cannery is closing down.

Comment

I passed the Japanese bakery Bunmeido on King Street this afternoon and noticed that it's now semi-shuttered and nearly empty, and has two large hand-written signs that says it's closed. It used to sell Castella cakes. So sad to see the passing of a unique little establishment.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                                I passed the Japanese bakery Bunmeido on King Street this afternoon and noticed that it's now semi-shuttered and nearly empty, and has two large hand-written signs that says it's closed. It used to sell Castella cakes. So sad to see the passing of a unique little establishment.
                                The producers of Anthony Bourdain's 'No Reseverations' were going to feature Bunmeido on King street in a nationally-televised PBS show they were working on last year, but seemingly-tireless, perpetually hard-working owner (Akira) Sugiyama-san was absolutely resistant about being on TV. Oh well, I tried!
                                Last edited by Pomai; August 13, 2009, 08:52 PM.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X