Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Ahhh the shredded mango from Wing coffee. I still get visions of that yellow VW with with the water bumpers.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

[quote=speedtek;133258]other places I remember:

Swiss Inn in Niu Valley. It had very different food.

Swiss Inn had a very ono Osso Bucco(sp.?) I think it later became "Sty's" or was that before it bacame Swiss Inn?...too long ago.

Comment

I don't think anyone mentioned Chunky's in McCully?

Jolly Roger's in Kahala. Home of the real Suzy-Q (Teri Burger with American cheese)

Comment

FYI: The Wolfgang Puck Express at Ward Entertainment Center is now closed. They opened there along with the rest of the center in 2002. They featured California style gourmet pizzas, pastas & sandwiches.

The Ward Big City Diner next door must have been too much competition for the local clientele with its broader family friendly appeal and price point.

It'll be interesting to see who'll fill that now-vacant prime location.

The proprietor of that location also owns and operates the Wolfgang Puck Express located at the Aston Waikiki, as well as Chuck's Steakhouse and Chuck's Cellar in the Outrigger hotels, which are all still in operation.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

[QUOTE=D'Alani;133352]
            Originally posted by speedtek View Post
            other places I remember:

Swiss Inn in Niu Valley. It had very different food.

Swiss Inn had a very ono Osso Bucco(sp.?) I think it later became "Sty's" or was that before it bacame Swiss Inn?...too long ago.
            I believe it was THE STY, where the original Country Comfort gigged, then SWISS INN, and now SWISS HAUS.

JOLLY ROGER also featured the TERI BEEF KING, BEEFY BOY, CHEESY GAL, and PORKY BOY sandwiches.

Comment

WHOA!

I jus read that COLUMBIA INN suddenly closed its doors without notice according Star Bulletin's Website.

They indeed was a favorite of mine. I always ordered their Teriyaki while I was still on the island. Visited mostly the Kapiolani location b4 it went buh bye 6 yrs ago which left their only location in kaimuki. I did go down to that location and the last time I went there was when I was goin to KCC at the time to meet up with my professor and a couple of fellow students from a class on what subject I foget but was good time while it lasted though.

Comment

I spotted a banner hanging from the old Forty Niner Restaurant in Aiea announcing that they will re-open. No date was provided, but it looks like they'll be back in business soon.

Comment

Must be new management for the FORTY-NINER. The owners were well past retirement age.

Comment

Wow! Das all after 7 pages? Here's a few more, many out thisaway. Maybe some too old?

Hong Kung that used to be on Harding. Used to eat there at least once a week with my ex.

Flamingo Chuckwagon. Love the fried chx.

Pearl City Tavern. Had the best won ton appetizer and cute monkeys.

Yamada's in Waialua. Family style Okinawan/Japanese food.

Marigold Market. Used to stop by after school for a nickle wax covered dill pickle.

Kastner's that was on Kamehameha. Bought our school clothes there.

Topper Drive-In. Another hang-out after school.

UH Shakeys. Only place I knew that served Primo dark.

Kapiolani Cafe. Yeah, I know they moved to Kalihi, but the food was never the same. Oxtail soup got junk as well as the fried rice.

Wo Fat on Hotel St. Had our wedding reception there and went to Oasis after, for the show.

Club Hubba Hubba! They still around? Used to have......more mature strippers during the daytime shows.

Club Arirang. Remember Charlotte?

Mongolian BBQ. Are they still there in Kaimuki? Used to go there all the time when they had the "buffet". Later visits to their new place was dissappointing.

Big Way Burger. 5 for a buck. Was hard to beat that sale.

Wahiawa Bus Station cafe. Now Sunnyside on Kilani Ave.

Maroni's Pizza. A once a week event. They made a brief comeback, but didn't last a year. Maui Mikes is now there and seem to be holding up. Tried them a couple weeks ago and don't understand the popularity. Chicken falls off the bone and served with different dipping sauces. Personally, they overcook their chx to the point it's "powdery" and disintegrates in the mouth. Not melts. Some pieces, there's nothing left to chew.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                      [...]Mongolian BBQ. Are they still there in Kaimuki? Used to go there all the time when they had the "buffet". Later visits to their new place was dissappointing.[...]
                      I was just thinking of Mongolian BBQ last week and wondering the same thing. I ate there more often when it was in Chinatown...the "buffet" days! But, I also enjoyed it after it moved to Kaimuki. Hmmm...it's gone (scroll to the bottom of the page for the reference)! I didn't think it was terrible at all!!!

Comment

If the author is referring to M BBQ in the last few years, I'd have to sort of agree, although, I wouldn't put it as strongly as he/she did. We first went to M BBQ when they were in Chinatown, also, then followed them to Kaimuki when they opened right on Waialae Ave. The last few years was at a location next to that taxi stand behind that "fancy" bakery and it never was the same again. Too bad, so sad.

"...or a skirt steak marinated in Korean kim chee (a familiar taste for Islanders of all ethnicities)."????? Hah? I've never heard of it. Family's never heard of it. Friends have never mentioned it. I thought it kinda silly to assume that "Islanders of all ethnicities" know what this dish is. We'd have heard more about it by now, yes?

Comment

I'm going to try the skirt steak ("harimi") prepared at 12th Avenue Grill the next time I go there. I don't believe that it's marinated in kim chee there. Kim chee, I know. Skirt steak, I'm familiar with. Together ...... no.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                            I'm going to try the skirt steak ("harimi") prepared at 12th Avenue Grill the next time I go there. I don't believe that it's marinated in kim chee there. Kim chee, I know. Skirt steak, I'm familiar with. Together ...... no.
                            It is marinated in kim chee base and it is really quite good, but not my favorite dish at 12th Ave Grill - that would be the desserts! I read the Epicurious article to mean that kim chee is a familiar flavor here, not kim chee marinated meat, but can see how it could be interpreted that way. I think I know who wrote the blurb and that person wouldn't make such an inaccurate generalization. And, no, it was not me!
                            Last edited by glossyp; March 17, 2007, 08:02 AM. Reason: add info

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. Now, I know that I'll be ordering it. I usually consume their pork chop entree ........ along with a light dessert.

Comment

I believe skirt steak is the same as flap steak and Ige's in Waimalu makes a very good one, taste like the old style BBQ Beef. Costco usually have them.

Comment

Working...
                                X