Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

I don't know if the flap = skirt. The "skirt" is technically the diaphram muscle. But, you're right about the teriyaki flap meat a IGE's. DELICIOUS! It makes a popular pairing with their SHOYU PORK in a combo plate.

And Costco does sell "flap" meat in their cases. Also, DAIEI, nka "Don Quihote."

Comment

Originally posted by D'Alani View Post
      I believe skirt steak is the same as flap steak and Ige's in Waimalu makes a very good one, taste like the old style BBQ Beef. Costco usually have them.
      Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      I don't know if the flap = skirt. The "skirt" is technically the diaphram muscle. But, you're right about the teriyaki flap meat a IGE's. DELICIOUS! It makes a popular pairing with their SHOYU PORK in a combo plate.

And Costco does sell "flap" meat in their cases. Also, DAIEI, nka "Don Quihote."
      "flap" and "flank" steaks come from the same region of the cow, the "flank"--lower part of teats and below, i guess is how i'd describe it. "skirt" comes from the upper part of teats and above, called the "plate." or something like that.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

This afternoon while walking by the former Jack in the Box on the Corner of Kalakaua Ave. and McCully., there was an active renovation in progress.

Come to find out from the workers on site, coming soon will be a Chinese Buffet restaurant.

They refused to give the specific business name. We'll soon find out.
        Last edited by Pomai; May 4, 2007, 11:17 PM.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
          Wow! Das all after 7 pages? Here's a few more, many out thisaway. Maybe some too old?

Club Arirang. Remember Charlotte?
          Cigars, books of matches and a roll of quarters. Last time I saw her was at Gardenia Garden on Dillingham about 20 years ago. Wasn't Charlotte a Kalani grad?

Comment

Originally posted by na alii View Post
            Cigars, books of matches and a roll of quarters. Last time I saw her was at Gardenia Garden on Dillingham about 20 years ago. Wasn't Charlotte a Kalani grad?
            A very naughty Kalani grad. Wonder how her reunions went?

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
              I spotted a banner hanging from the old Forty Niner Restaurant in Aiea announcing that they will re-open. No date was provided, but it looks like they'll be back in business soon.
              Forty Niner opened on Wednesday. New owners, but they kept all of the most popular dishes (saimin, beef cutlet, hamburger) and Jenny, the waitress who has been there forever, is working there also. Hours are 5am-8pm daily for the time being. The new owner said the hours might change in the future. Phone number is 484-1940.

Comment

I was headed to Foodland Ala Moana this afternoon, but when I got there, it was gone! The entire area is boarded up. Did I miss something in the news? Is it closed for good or just for renovation?

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                  I was headed to Foodland Ala Moana this afternoon, but when I got there, it was gone! The entire area is boarded up. Did I miss something in the news? Is it closed for good or just for renovation?
                  The latter is correct. According to pacificbusinessnews.com, renovations will close the Ala Moana location for 12 weeks. Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Beard Papa's Cream Puffs are included in the plans.

Thank goodness. I shop there every now and then for last minute grocery stuff I need whenever I'm in the mall. I'd hate for it to become just another overpriced clothes boutique.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

That's a relief! I don't go there often, but it is a convenient location for me. And I like it that they're expanding their gourmet deli and bakery. And adding Beard's Papa!

Comment

Shung Chong Yuen, the Chinese bakery on Maunakea street, closed this week. They have been in business for a very long time.

Comment

Whatever happened to Bluebird Drive-In in Pearl City?
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

A rendering of Foodland's renovation project at Ala Moana Center.

Originally posted by Honolulu Advertiser
                          Foodland Super Market at Ala Moana Center is in the midst of a renovation that, when completed in early August, will include retail space for Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Beard Papa's operations. The store recently closed for the work. In addition to the coffee and cream-puff businesses, the Foodland renovation will feature new deli and bakery departments as well as expanded sections for meat, seafood and produce. Foodland's parent, The Sullivan Family of Cos., operates seven Beard Papa's and 14 Coffee Bean stores, many of which are inside or near the company's 29 Foodland and Sack N Save stores.
                          For a glimpse of what's-to-be, visit the Koko Marina (Hawaii Kai) location.
                          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                            Whatever happened to Bluebird Drive-In in Pearl City?
                            Was it located on the mauka side of Kam Highway across Flamingo Pearl City, Diamond Head of Pearl City Shopping Center (Leeward Bowl, Long's Drugs, Daiei, UnoCal gas station)? If so, it became Pearl City Nissan and is presently the site of Zippy's/Napoleon's.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                              Was it located on the mauka side of Kam Highway across Flamingo Pearl City, Diamond Head of Pearl City Shopping Center (Leeward Bowl, Long's Drugs, Daiei, UnoCal gas station)? If so, it became Pearl City Nissan and is presently the site of Zippy's/Napoleon's.
                              No, OP, you got it backward. Bluebird Drive-In was located in Pearl City on the MAKAI side of Kamehameha Hwy., across the street from SCOTTY'S Drive-In.

Bluebird was located where the Flamingo P.C. building is now. It was in the corner of the property, right next to the river.

Scotty's became Nissan, then became Zippy's. Scotty's had killer chocolate malts and big, fat, salty crinkle fries. Yummy!
                              Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
                                No, OP, you got it backward. Bluebird Drive-In was located in Pearl City on the MAKAI side of Kamehameha Hwy., across the street from SCOTTY'S Drive-In.
                                That's it. The only edible mac salad ever made.
                                Burl Burlingame
                                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                                X