Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

These local restaurants closing so abruptly is a disturbing trend of late. Do their employees get up and put on their uniforms or whatever come to work to find the doors locked I wonder?

Rush Hour 3 is coming out soon maybe Jackie has too many other committments
    that he couldnt concentrate on this business interest. He did show up to the Grand opening.

Aj

Comment

We ate at Jackie's Kitchen the 2nd month they opened for business. The food wasn't that bad but nothing special, the prices a bit high, but what I didn't like was the wait help. They hovered around our table and asked 'how is everything?' every 2 minutes! It was impossible to enjoy the meal and talk. Do it to me once and never again will I patronize your restaurant.

Comment

A few fast food restaurants look to be razed in the next few days:

Taco Bell on King Street/Keeaumoku they have a bulldozer in place and were already tearing up the parking lot. Then a few blocks down on Keeaumoku Street the long time McDonalds is set to be torn down soon...but will re-open sometime in the winter of 2007. McDonalds seems to do this to other older restaurants after so many years they did this with the Beretania location recently as well as the Moilili location a few years back. Also the Liliha Street 2 story is not that old either.

Aj

Comment

Well, the establishment isn't disappearing (Thank goodness!), but we lost Aunty Helen Chock, proprietor of Helena's Hawaiian Foods. I'll miss you, Aunty Helen.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/04/news/story03.html
          Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMan View Post
            Well, the establishment isn't disappearing (Thank goodness!), but we lost Aunty Helen Chock, proprietor of Helena's Hawaiian Foods. I'll miss you, Aunty Helen.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/04/news/story03.html
            Condolences to the entire ohana of Mrs. Chock. She did what she loved to do for over 60 years and left her duties in peace.

Thankfully the ohana will continue Helena's in honor of her. Hopefully her spirit will live within them and they'll have the same inspiration and passion she had in serving authentic Hawaiian food. After all, they know all her techniques!

I need to pay a visit there soon when they re-open.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

not really disappearing (for long) but the foodland at ala moana is undergoing some serious renovations and when it opens, it'll have a coffee beans & tea leaves and a beard papas shop....
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                The Japanese place you're referring to must be IRIFUNE.

The shave ice emporium: is that the branch of WAIOLA STORE?

RAINBOW DRIVE-IN is an institution for me. I go there as often as I can when I'm in town for their BBQ Pork sandwich, Rainbow Special, and chili.
                Same here when I worked at Avis Rent A Car across from Pucks Alley as a lot boy. We use have one of the lot boys or rental agents who worked the small office on the street level grab a rental and buy lunch at Rainbows. They had some ono delicious food.

Comment

Aloha to Arts Hawaii...after 60 years in business. I bought many a beautiful wedding gift there.

Comment

Farewell to Flamingo's at Windward Shopping Center after 20 years:

http://starbulletin.com/2007/07/14/news/story02.html

Aj

Comment

The venerable Kwong On on Waialae will close next month. I just happened to stop in there this week for a snack. I guess that will most likely be the last time I enjoy one of their manapua. Nina Wu from SB has the story.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                        The venerable Kwong On on Waialae will close next month. I just happened to stop in there this week for a snack. I guess that will most likely be the last time I enjoy one of their manapua. Nina Wu from SB has the story.
                        Being that I work only 2 blocks away and I get my lunch there at least once a week, I have to say that I'm saddened to hear about this. I don't know what I'll do without my pint of chow fun and 3 pieces dim sum for less than $3!

A co-worker mentioned something about Kwong On closing last March but according to him, the owners decided to stick it out for the summer.
                        Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                        We're not here to mess around
                        Boston, you know we love you madly
                        Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                        Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                        You know we couldn't live without you
                        Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Thank you for the heads up re Kwong On. Used to be my regular brunch stop when I worked evenings. Their baked manapua, pork hash and chow fun will be sorely missed.

Anyone know whatever happened to New Campbell Chinese Restaurant in Kapahulu? They just closed one day and never reopened. No sign, answering machine message, etc.
                          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I just found out today New Eagle Cafe on Nimitz is under new ownership, apparently since March. The waitress told us the old Japanese lady owner wanted to take it easy and decided to sell. Looks like the new owners are Korean, maybe Chinese. About half the staff stayed on.

Anyway, I hope NEC doesn't go the way of Columbia Inn Kaimuki. When the new owners took over the quality and service went downhill. I did notice that the mahi mahi was cooked with egg batter, Korean style. Also, service was a bit slower.

Comment

Originally posted by ploal5333 View Post
                              I just found out today New Eagle Cafe on Nimitz is under new ownership, apparently since March. The waitress told us the old Japanese lady owner wanted to take it easy and decided to sell. Looks like the new owners are Korean, maybe Chinese. About half the staff stayed on.
                              Lemme see...the last time I went there was three weeks ago. The lady you're talking about is still serving. She was the original owner. Her son took over several years. They moved to the Nimitz location from Downtown. They also had another one which folded couple years ago. The new owners are Korean.

The prices have gone up. The food quality has changed. Hopefully, things will get better. They have competition across the street ~ Nicos and Uncles!

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

New Eagle Cafe has held a soft spot in my heart for being the "staging" area for the employees and families of those killed during the Xerox murders in 1999. I can't begin to imagine what that restaurant must've gone thru during the course of that day. I remember the news reporting how the restaurant opened it's doors to those affected on that fateful day.

Comment

Working...
                                X