Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    According to news tonight, The Crouching Lion restaurant in Kaa'awa (Oahu N. Shore, just before Kahana bay), which opened in 1957, will be closing doors tonight.
    Ian Lind had that on his blog today and steered us to KHON's story at this link, which includes:
    Another landmark restaurant on Oahu is closing.
    Tonight is the last night for the restaurant at the Crouching Lion Inn ... in Kaaawa.
    Although the owner says he plans to re-open in the future, employees fear that it's closed for good.
    The Crouching Lion Inn was built in 1927 as a coach stop for circle island travelers, named after the legendary rock formation.
    It's restaurant opened in 1957.
    The restaurant was re-named Michael's at the Crouching Lion when owner Michael Abreu took over.
    Last week he told his employees he's closing the restaurant...although he hopes to re-open it next year.
    Michael's at the Crouching Lion closes tonight at ten.
    The gallery at the Crouching Lion Inn, which is next to the restaurant, will remain open for business.
    Geez, I had dinner there just a couple of months ago with a friend who was visiting from the mainland, and I was pleasantly surprised that dinner was quite good. (CLI had gone downhill in the past, as they focused more on drawing in tourist buses, but a few months ago they'd improved.)
    I hope they do re-open...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      [...]I hope they do re-open...
      Me too. Would be so nice to see a La Mariana/Tahitian Lanai/Don the Beachcombers decor in that location. It's a perfect spot for it. That, and good food! Just my 2¢!

Comment

I called my friend who owns the restaurant, "Tropicaina" in Punalu'u today. He asked me if I heard of Crouching Lion closing which I did due to this thread. LOL...

My friend said he's in negotiations with Crouching Lion to buy their tables, and possibly other paraphernalia. Tropicaina used to be, "Maliko's" which in turn used to be "Paniolos". Here are some pics from the grand opening last June 30, 2007. This is the front of the restaurant.

This is part of the extensive grounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau View Post
          I called my friend who owns the restaurant, "Tropicaina" in Punalu'u today. (...) My friend said he's in negotiations with Crouching Lion to buy their tables, and possibly other paraphernalia.
          Hmmmm. Selling their furnishings isn't a good sign for Crouching Lion re-opening. Unless their plan is to buy all new furnishings. Hmmmm.

Tropicaina used to be, "Maliko's" which in turn used to be "Paniolos". Here are some pics from the grand opening last June 30, 2007.
          Thanks for posting those, Beau. I've eaten there under its various names over the years, but haven't been to the newest incarnation yet. That'll move higher up on my To Do list!

Comment

According to news tonight, The Crouching Lion restaurant , will be closing doors tonight.
            Well that sucks. A landmark is right.

Comment

Well, now the owner is claiming strongly that the place will re-open in just a few weeks!
              You can read this article in today's Star-Bulletin, which includes:
              The nostalgic Crouching Lion restaurant, nestled beneath the Koolau mountains on Oahu's North Shore, has shut down after being ordered to remove its cesspool or face millions of dollars in federal fines.
              Both the landowner and tenant voluntarily closed the 50-year-old eatery -- now known as Michael's Restaurant and Sports Lounge at the Crouching Lion -- on Sunday while a new sewage system is installed to replace the existing cesspool. Cesspools have been banned by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, which inspected the property in October.
              The owners hope to reopen the restaurant in early 2008...
              Much more at the link above. And it's also at this link in today's Advertiser, including:
              Abreu said he expects the closing to be temporary and hopes to reopen the restaurant in a "matter of weeks."
              (...)
              Abreu said he does not have a specific date since the bulk of the work will involve replacing an aging cesspool with a septic system as required by the federal Environmental Protection Agency. He said he plans to rehire the laid-off employees but gave no firm date.
              (...)
              A sign on the door reads: "The landowner will be installing a new commercial grade septic system as required by the EPA in the near future. We will take that time to complete the renovations of our facility and will reopen early next year."
              Apparently, then, we can be cautiously optimistic.

Comment

Beau, mahalo for that. I was just going to ask what was now located at this that Punalu'u locaton. When I lived out that side way back when, it was Paniolo Cafe, then a popular stop for Harley riders circling the island.

It's gotta' be tough staying afloat as a restaurant in such remote locations like Crouching Lion and Tropicaina in Punalu'u. They surely must rely heavily tour bus stops. Without that, just the casual passersby seems would hardly be enough.

I also vaguely remember (we ate there a few times) Pat's at Punalu'u Restaurant in the namesake' apartment building out there, which had a fine dining format overlooking the ocean.

I'd like to hear more about Tropicaina (is that spelling correct?). What's on the menu? Is it good? If so, perhaps on my next drive out N. Shore I'll stop by.
                Originally posted by Beau View Post
                I called my friend who owns the restaurant, "Tropicaina" in Punalu'u today. He asked me if I heard of Crouching Lion closing which I did due to this thread. LOL...

My friend said he's in negotiations with Crouching Lion to buy their tables, and possibly other paraphernalia. Tropicaina used to be, "Maliko's" which in turn used to be "Paniolos". Here are some pics from the grand opening last June 30, 2007. This is the front of the restaurant.

This is part of the extensive grounds.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'd like to hear more about Tropicaina (is that spelling correct?). What's on the menu? Is it good? If so, perhaps on my next drive out N. Shore I'll stop by.
                  Hmm...being biased of course because my friend owns the restaurant, I would say the food is pretty good. They offer mostly American Style Continental Cuisine(and some asian fusion stuff). Things like crab cakes, taro fried chicken.

However, what is breathtaking are the grounds, which my friend has extensively renovated. In the back area, they have cut down the trees so now there's a panaromic view of the mountains. And in part of the front area of the restaurant there is now a fresh water pond. My friend has also landscaped with thousands of plants. I would say it's definitely worth it to stop by and check the place out.

Comment

Let's add to the list of disappearing establishments, I'm sure many of you read in today's Star Bulletin that after 25 years, Patisserie Kahala Mall will be closing at the end of the year. Owner's are looking for a new location, in the meantime they're products are sold in Sam's Club.
                    ___
                    "Be god to each other."

Comment

Not sure what this counts as, but I'll put it here. I was sad to learn that The Cellar Waikiki, formerly The Jazz Cellar, is no more.

You can read more about it here. In the Mix: New Year’s Eve 2007

Comment

• R.I.P. Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon and The Cellar

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                        Not sure what this counts as, but I'll put it here. I was sad to learn that The Cellar Waikiki, formerly The Jazz Cellar, is no more.

You can read more about it here. In the Mix: New Year’s Eve 2007
                        Wow. That's news for me. It's odd that, now that Lewer's Beach Walk is all done and bustling with foot traffic, only NOW does The Cellar decide to call it quits.

This leaves only two other long-standing Honolulu nightclubs remaining: Scruples on Kuhio Ave., which is now over 24 years old, and Rumours in the Ala Moana Hotel.

Speaking of which, what's going on with Ocean Club? The sign is still up and the furnishings are still in there. Are they waiting for a new owner to buy and take it over under the same name and decor? That's what it seems like.

Regarding the closing of Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon, I spoke with someone who knows one of the Tsukenjo folks, and they said the restaurant competition at nearby Ward Center and Warehouse took a toll on the Tsukenjo's lunch wagon business, which is what made them decide to call it quits.

I also spoke with Doris over at Tsukenjo Lunch House, and she said they started the business back in 1960, with the lunchwagon starting around 1970. They shut the wagon down and sold it just this past November '07. Of course, you can still get the same grinds over at the Lunch House on Cooke street.
                        Last edited by Pomai; January 5, 2008, 01:24 PM. Reason: Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon pau
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

• Re: R.I.P. Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon and The Cellar

Speaking of which, what's going on with Ocean Club? The sign is still up and the furnishings are still in there. Are they waiting for a new owner to buy and take it over under the same name and decor? That's what it seems like. street.
                          per erica engle's piece in october, liz watanabe, owner of o lounge, bought the space. sometime in november or december, eric & i were driving by around 7 pm and all the lights were on with the old OC stools perched on the tables like how they would be when OC was still in business but closed for the night. maybe they were doing some work in there? *shrug*
                          superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

• Re: R.I.P. Tsukenjo Lunch Wagon and The Cellar

Speaking of which, what's going on with Ocean Club? The sign is still up and the furnishings are still in there. Are they waiting for a new owner to buy and take it over under the same name and decor? That's what it seems like.
                            Given that it's so visible, right on the ground floor and right by the bar and the theaters, Restaurant Row is probably letting it stay like that rather then turning it into a vacant spot that wouldn't reflect well on RR.

Comment

The competition for dining dollars in Waikiki claims another victim. Golden Dragon in the Hilton Hawaiian Village will close after dinner service on February 3. I never dined there, but I'm sure there are many HT folks who did. I did look inside once and it was very beautiful.

Comment

It hasn't been in Hawai'i that long but d.e.m.o. in both Pearlridge and Windward malls are closing on March 31st. I wandered in there because there as a 20% - 40% off the entire inventory. After I completed my purchase, I asked if they were clearing things out to prepare for a Spring clothing line (most of the items were jackets and hoodies) and that's when she shared the store was closing. RE: They're a sister store of Pacsun, and the company will be focusing on that store instead of d.e.m.o.

She also mentioned a rumor, Macy's will no longer be carrying "Urban-wear" (Ecko, Rocawear, Enyce, etc.) all of the brands you could find at d.e.m.o.

Not sure where the clothing trend is headed, Urban wear may have seen it's day, but I believe they're just too overpriced for a Hawai'i economy. A hat, similar in style that you could purchase at Lids but an Urban brand was $54!

I am disappointed because I liked some of the clothing, for now the only other options is Macy's (if the rumor is just a rumor) or Urban Flavor (a locally owned store with locations in Waipahu and Kalihi) but the prices have become outrageous. $48 for a t-shirt anyone?
                                ___
                                "Be god to each other."

Comment

Working...
                                X