Clear All

Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by tutusue
    All of 'em!!! Really!
    Ok . . . which one first???

Comment

I'll vote for this one:
      2) The Characters Behind the The Companies We Keep. (This would look at the lives, anecdotes and philosophies of well-known, interesting people in the islands).
      Best of luck to ya!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
        The Hawaiian Hut restaurant in the Ala Moana Hotel.
        The Hawaiian Hut was sold long ago when Spence Weaver was still alive. I think to an employee.

There's just one restaurant left. Any more guesses?

Comment

Originally posted by Creative-1
          What do you think?
          ----->5) Gift sized books about Hawaii Companies, Schools and Military. (These would be 5x7, maybe 70 pages long with lots of color pictures and short stories. Bookstores say they sell tons of these stocking-stuffers. I could probably come up with material to do one yearly for 10 or more years!)
          I'd go with this one. It excites me. The flexibility of subjects and photographic creativity would work well as time and history of business in Hawaii unfolds over the coming years. I'd buy it.

Your first book covered most of the topics well enough in the other 4 concepts you proposed. The quiz concept does sound like a possiblility though.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ok . . . which one first???
            Which one is closest to being ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
              It was sad when the last Castagnola restaurant closed shop in Waikiki in that 2 second floor location of a Hotel/Condo across Ft. DeRussy. At the time, he was the best Italian in town.
              Castagnola's went down the tubes after he moved from Manoa Marketplace. It was a good restaurant.

And when did Deb's close? I ate there like, last month.

Comment

BTW, there's only one Spencecliff left. There used to be 50. Who can name it?
                Funny my friend is the guy who bought Spencecliff and change it. Long story. I dont think he would be too happy if I wrote about it. Example of the shock is when he changed the Ranch House into the Metro. oops! I told him it was a BAD IDEA! all the others hanging around him were yes men. how sad.

Man I loved Deb's ribs! she always gave me an extra ribs. I was just going to go there yesterday! I hope she opens somewhere else. Maybe I will go bug her daughter!
                Last edited by speedtek; June 10, 2006, 07:55 PM.

Comment

BTW, there's only one Spencecliff left. There used to be 50. Who can name it?

Bob Sigall
                  Fisherman's Wharf

Comment

Deb's in Kailua closed about a month ago. I loved her smothered chicken with cheese grits and macaroni & cheese. Oh, my God.

Yes, it was more expensive than some cheap-ass little plate lunch place (as someone mentioned awhile back) -- 'cause it was *real* food, soul food, something unique among all the boring rice-and-generic-fried-crap fare offered everywhere else.

Why, Deb? Whyyyyy?

Comment

Originally posted by na alii
                      Fisherman's Wharf

Ding-ding-ding. We have a winner!

Yes, Fisherman's Wharf (opened in 1952) is the last of the chain started by Spence and Cliff Weaver in 1939 with Swanky Franky.

By the 1960's, Spencecliff was the biggest chain in town. Some of their places included: Coco’s (1960), Kelly’s, the Ranch House, Yacht Harbor Towers, Queen’s Surf (1949), South Seas, Tahitian Lanai (1956, served 16,000 orders of Eggs Benedict a year).

Comment

Growing up in Kaneohe, our family used to frequent a Spencecliff coffee shop that was open in Windward City Shopping Center for years. I can't remember what the exact name of that location was, but I do remember it had a Tiki theme. Was it Tiki Tops?
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                          Growing up in Kaneohe, our family used to frequent a Spencecliff coffee shop that was open in Windward City Shopping Center for years. I can't remember what the exact name of that location was, but I do remember it had a Tiki theme. Was it Tiki Tops?

Yes, Tiki Tops is where Flamingo is today. It opened in 1959, according to my information.

I have photos of Lex Brodie having meetings of his gas station crew there. He used to be the manager of the Chevron station at Tiki Tops before focusing on tires and moving to town.

Bob Sigall
                          Last edited by Creative-1; June 11, 2006, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                            Helen's Chinese Food in Kapahulu to close Sunday, April 30.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/04/29/f...s/story01.html
                            Thanks, no wonder when I went in the other day it looked different! There was a young couple running it, but they still had the huge gold fish! I just thought they were family who took over the business and renovated. I ordered the shrimp fried rice, different but good. They still carry the name and phone number, is that fair to unknowing customers? Same name and phone number, yet different style of cooking according to the article.

Comment

Originally posted by I<3mydoggies
                              They still carry the name and phone number, is that fair to unknowing customers?
                              no! i wonder what legal recourse unknowing customers have?!

Comment

Ding-ding-ding. We have a winner!

Yes, Fisherman's Wharf (opened in 1952) is the last of the chain started by Spence and Cliff Weaver in 1939 with Swanky Franky.

By the 1960's, Spencecliff was the biggest chain in town. Some of their places included: Coco’s (1960), Kelly’s, the Ranch House, Yacht Harbor Towers, Queen’s Surf (1949), South Seas, Tahitian Lanai (1956, served 16,000 orders of Eggs Benedict a year).
                                Don't forget Popo's!

It was pretty lousy Mexican food, but it was the only Mexican food west of Kaimuki other than Mama's Mexican Kitchen on School and Mama's in Moanalua Shopping Center.
                                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Working...
                                X