Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Spot's Inn Closing on Dillingham

My friends Jonn and Seiko are closing Spot's Inn on August 23rd 2008. If you have never eaten there the food is good and some of the specials are the bomb!

They are not closing due to lack of business but they are tired and with the rent renewal going up they have decided to take a break after 13 years. Maybe they may reopen on a smaller scale (HOPEFULLY!)

Comment

The lovely Petals 'n Beans has disappeared from its long-time location at the Airport Trade Center. However, according to its website, it is reopening in August in the Hokua building, which is kind of a neat thing, since the Starbucks in that building is one of the stores scheduled for closing. I think it's a great thing that they'll be in town, because I think they'll get more business there, but I'm sad about their leaving the Airport area, where I work.

Did you know Dennis is an HBA grad? Eagles represent!
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

While driving down Ward Ave. yesterday I noticed a sign on the marquee of Tio's (the old Dixie Grill) indicating that last Sat. night was "last call" for them. There was a moving truck out front. Egads, that restaurant lasted only about 9 months.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          While driving down Ward Ave. yesterday I noticed a sign on the marquee of Tio's (the old Dixie Grill) indicating that last Sat. night was "last call" for them. There was a moving truck out front. Egads, that restaurant lasted only about 9 months.
          Interesting. I wonder who's moving in?
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Yep, goners! Other than the Happy Hour Margarita's and the lunch menu it wasn't all that great, and the crowd versus from when it was Dixie Grill was much smaller.
            Passed by this afternoon and sign now says "New Restaurant Coming Soon".

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
              Spot's Inn Closing on Dillingham

My friends Jonn and Seiko are closing Spot's Inn on August 23rd 2008. If you have never eaten there the food is good and some of the specials are the bomb!

They are not closing due to lack of business but they are tired and with the rent renewal going up they have decided to take a break after 13 years. Maybe they may reopen on a smaller scale (HOPEFULLY!)
              SPOT'S made an excellent hamburger steak plate lunch. A lot more parking than the place several blocks away ewa of Kalihi Street.

Comment

I did go to the Dixie Grill. Was this the same restaurant with a different name? They had the 5(I think it was 5)pound hamburger that if you can eat it all in one sitting. It's free.
                Last edited by Walkoff Balk; July 29, 2008, 06:27 PM. Reason: add

Comment

eric heard today that kam bowl, some time ago displaced from its bowling alley location to city square on dillingham, is closing.

makes sense to me. when they moved to city square, either the portions got smaller or the prices went higher, and the service became disinterested at best with the food leaning toward lackluster. eric and i stopped going there when they refused to make a kim chee fried rice hamburger steak plate even tho (1) they have both the fried rice and hamburger steak on the menu and (2) kim chee fried rice hamburger steak was something they made regularly and (3) we were willing to pay extra but not for two separate plates. even the cops just down the street forsook the place. used to be that at a certain time of the morning, half a dozen blue & whites would be in front. not anymore, apparently.

if you're worried about your oxtail soup mix, asahi grill on ward has the jam bowl recipe. too bad they don't do the pigs feet soup, too.
                  superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

The other location of that restaurant is in the Waimalu Shopping Center. No idea if the quality has slid there, too. But the sign claims still to be the home of the famous oxtail soup.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by cynsaligia View Post
                      eric heard today that kam bowl, some time ago displaced from its bowling alley location to city square on dillingham, is closing.

makes sense to me. when they moved to city square, either the portions got smaller or the prices went higher, and the service became disinterested at best with the food leaning toward lackluster. eric and i stopped going there when they refused to make a kim chee fried rice hamburger steak plate even tho (1) they have both the fried rice and hamburger steak on the menu and (2) kim chee fried rice hamburger steak was something they made regularly and (3) we were willing to pay extra but not for two separate plates. even the cops just down the street forsook the place. used to be that at a certain time of the morning, half a dozen blue & whites would be in front. not anymore, apparently.

if you're worried about your oxtail soup mix, asahi grill on ward has the jam bowl recipe. too bad they don't do the pigs feet soup, too.
                      [B]I assume you're referring to the KAPIOLANI COFFEE SHOP operation which used to be adjacent to the old Aloha Motors (site of the Convention Center). As also mentioned, there is a Kapiolani Coffee Shop in the Waimalu Shopping Center and the oxtail soup is on the menu at Asahi Grill on Ward.[/B]

Comment

is it? i guess eric and i always referred to it by the name of the bowling alley it was in before said alley became destined for a walgreens.
                        superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Speaking of Kapi`olani Coffee Shop, this is from Erika in today's Star Bull:

http://starbulletin.com/2008/07/31/business/engle.html

Coffee Shop moving (again!) and pizza moving in...

Comment

That Chuck E. Cheese is totally going to change that complex. How interesting; I'm having difficulty picturing it. On the other hand, I kinda like the pizza there and welcome it to the 'hood. There are a lot of small, local businesses there that I hope will receive some kind of benefit from more traffic coming through there.
                            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oh great, Chuck E. Cheese now within walking distance from my house. My kids will want to go there everyday. The one in Aina Haina used to be Showbiz Pizza correct? I wonder when the Aina Haina location is closing, was just there last week.

Here's a rare one, you rarely see McDonalds close it seems, the one in Waikiki near Lewers was replaced by Roys and just yesterday I was near the old post office on Richards Street. At the corner of Richards and Queen Streets there was a small McDonalds as you walked up some steps. It's gone, much to my surprise I expected to order something off the McDonalds menu and then realized it was now a gourmet restaurant, I think #16 on the menu will get you a cheeseburger. >;-0

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                                Oh great, Chuck E. Cheese now within walking distance from my house. My kids will want to go there everyday. The one in Aina Haina used to be Showbiz Pizza correct? I wonder when the Aina Haina location is closing, was just there last week.
                                Showwwwwbiz Piz-za. Where a kid can be a kid!

I'm pretty sure the Aina Haina location used to be Showbiz Pizza. I don't know for sure because growing up in Kalihi, we never made it out that far! We frequented the old Chuck E. Cheese on Kapiolani where 24 Hour fitness is now.

We go to the Aina Haina Chuck E. Cheese with the 3 year old. The pizza's pretty good and all games only cost 1 token. The new location in Kalihi's only 5 minutes away from the Boy's apartment!
                                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                                We're not here to mess around
                                Boston, you know we love you madly
                                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                                You know we couldn't live without you
                                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Working...
                                X