Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
    Here's a rare one, you rarely see McDonalds close it seems...
    And when they do, they prefer to demolish the property or begin renovations on something new immediately. A community seeing the sight of a closed-down and boarded-up McD's is something that goes against their corporate grain, so they try to keep that status as brief as possible.

Comment

3 star is there now. I highly recommend the rib eye ($8), the salmon dijon and chicken francese (both @ $7). prices prolly went up since the last i ate there was last year tho. it's one of eric's discoveries.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

hi this is sansei and the saimin stand close to Mckinley high school has been closed for a while now and i recently noticed this is i went by this place and it seem's sad is when i was in high school,my ex-friend's and i ate there and they had good saimin so i thought to share this with everyone.Also i do miss my favorite Japanese restaurant,the wisteria,they had the best tendon yum!:O)

Well thank's for yoru time

Comment

hi this is sansei and may anyone remember the mochi shop next to the peanut shop on liliha,i also learned it was closing and that was my favorite mochi shop next to the peanut shop and i also visited the peanut shop and they had the best arare and shoyu peanut's and i hope they wont close as well. i know the saimin place on liliha that called golden coin and i hope they wont close the saimin place is they had the best saimin so i thought to share my memorie's with everyone.

well thank's for your time:O(

Comment

What's the deal on Petite Garlic? I've never even heard of the place, and I've lived in Waikiki for years!

I was hoping to check the place out now that I finally know about it, but an online search for more info on the restaurant yielded this:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/off/785830960.html

I'll try to call later PG this afternoon/evening and find out if anybody's answering their phones there. But I thought I'd see if the foodies in the know on HT could give me the inside scoop. Is the place closed until somebody leases it? Or is it in operation while it looks to change hands?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
              What's the deal on Petite Garlic? I've never even heard of the place, and I've lived in Waikiki for years!

I was hoping to check the place out now that I finally know about it, but an online search for more info on the restaurant yielded this:

http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/off/785830960.html

I'll try to call later PG this afternoon/evening and find out if anybody's answering their phones there. But I thought I'd see if the foodies in the know on HT could give me the inside scoop. Is the place closed until somebody leases it? Or is it in operation while it looks to change hands?

Thanks!

Just called them this afternoon. They are still operational.

Comment

• the old 'New Kapahulu Chop Suey' is pau

A classic chop suey house that rivaled it's many contemporaries like McCully CS, and gave a great bang for the buck dinner plate is now under new owners and... much different.

I knew this 'time capsule', next to Ono, would be gone at some point, but what a drag.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

• Last call at Compadres - Friday

Compadres says ADIOS on Friday

Compadres Bar & Grill at Ward Centre will close Friday night.

The restaurant, which has been in business for 24 years, will close due to the rising costs and declining sales due to the dip in Hawaii’s tourism industry, owner Rick Enos said in a statement.

The Mainland locations in Palo Alto and Oakland, Calif., both closed earlier this week, the company said. The Compadres in the Lahaina Cannery Mall on Maui closed last week.

The restaurant said its Compadres BRio Grille, a separate corporation from Compadres Bar & Grill when it moved from Yountville, Calif., to Napa, will continue to operate.
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Very sad to see Compadres go. Ward Center just won't be the same without them. Even sadder is that with the dark economic clouds hanging over the horizon, other longtime eateries may soon be on the endangered list.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Yep, as the middle class disappears, so go the places the middle class enjoy.

Soon, it'll be just fast junk food and $$$ joints.
                      How soon before the last of the venerables like The Flamingo on Kapiolani closes?

Comment

Originally posted by Palama Kid View Post
                        Driven on Waialae a couple of times since I've been home. Noticed Kaimuki Chop Suey locked up with windows boarded up.

No can park, so been assuming that they're on vacation or sumpin like that. Anyone know if they're still in business?

Ominous: phone is "disconnected or no longer in service."
                        This place looks like it's being rebuilt and will be reopening in the future. It's surprising because old establishments are closing.
                        Last edited by Walkoff Balk; September 25, 2008, 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

hi this is sansei and i do miss my most favorite restaurant wisteria is they had the best tendon or shrimp tempura on rice and it was yum! i truly loved this dish when we went there and this and one other place in kapahulu, hee hing,not sure if it's open? They also had the best tendon and i enjoyed their's also.Also CS mart on liliha is open with their small sign and the building look's good since being fixed up after the fire.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

• Here today, gone yesterday

The new Kimmies Kantina accross from the Varsity Theater vacant lot is a was now.
                            The new is is a Red Lion 'University'.

Comment

Shoots. Flamingo on Kapiolani to close for good on Sunday:

The landmark Flamingo Restaurant on Kapi'olani Boulevard will close for good Sunday, the restaurant's owner announced today.
                              Jean Shimabukuro, vice president of Flamingo Enterprises, said rising costs and the inability to secure a new lease led her to the decision to close the restaurant after 49 years in business. The Kapi'olani restaurant is the last of the chain of restaurants opened by Flamingo founder Steven Nagamine.
                              The Pearl City Flamingo restaurant, which is owned by a partnership that includes Nagamine family members, will remain open, Shimabukuro said.
                              The Kapi'olani Boulevard restaurant's closure means 37 employees will be without work. Shimabukuro said the Pearl City restaurant will be able to absorb one or two of the laid off workers.
                              Erika Engle also has the story, at this link.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Well, that's it, the last of the original Flamingo's. Oahu won't be the same for us who've been around a good while, for sure.
                                Until it was torn down, I used to frequent the Flamingo Cafe on Ala Moana Bl. in Kaka'ako (where Restaurant Row is now) from the mid 70s on early Sunday morning's to get breakfast and my fix of banana pie while sitting at the bar watching my team, the LA Rams.
                                But the Kapiolani site had even more old style, and it's neon sign at night, beckoning a good meal, will always be a good memory.

This suck's...

Comment

Working...
                                X