X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by integlspwr View Post
    Was taishoken was on koreamoku?
    Yeah, that was the one. Closer to King Street.

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
      Sad to say, Taishoken (rated as one of the best ramen places in Honolulu by many) is no longer there. It shut its door in December. I never had a chance to try it.

thanks for confirming what i feared. i took a friend who is here from st. louis for a special project last friday because she'd never had ramen in her life. all the lights were dark and there was a paper sign on the door to taishoken. unfortunately, we couldn't read it because there is an outer door that taishoken shared with a salon/spa business which was closed, and the inner taishoken door is several feet away. we ended up going to ala mo to shop and having apps and cocktails at morton's instead.

bummer. i once went there four times in one week because i liked it so much (later visits were spaced about once a quarter). the thick chicken broth at tenkaippin is supposedly addictive, but to my taste, not as compelling as the miso broth at taishoken. their curry, gyoza and fried rice were yummy too.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

and it looks like the Ilikai will also be closing down as a hotel

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...acilities.html

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
          Yeah, that was the one. Closer to King Street.
          oh i remember that place. i ate there once and it was aite.

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          and it looks like the Ilikai will also be closing down as a hotel

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...acilities.html
          wow that depressing about the illikai

Comment

You can add another one to the list. This one in Kaneohe. The building at the corner of Haiku Rd/Lilipuna Rd and Kamehameha Hwy across from Windward Mall is gone. Demolished.

Not sure what it was called last, but I think it was a Times Coffee Shop at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
              You can add another one to the list. This one in Kaneohe. The building at the corner of Haiku Rd/Lilipuna Rd and Kamehameha Hwy across from Windward Mall is gone. Demolished.

Not sure what it was called last, but I think it was a Times Coffee Shop at one point.
              I'll be in Kaneohe this coming week, and if it's what you said it is, that would be the original FARRELL's Restaurant location, which was erected after replacing Don Ho's mother's place called HONEY'S. I have a very vague, yet indelible memory of HONEY'S bright neon sign. If Uncle Don were still alive, he would know what I'm talking about.

Ironically, Farrell's is now located in Windward Mall across the street.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                HONEY'S
                I think that's it.

Comment

Yama Chan looked closed last week when I walked by across the street (King near Piikoi).

A Grubb & Elis sign was in the window. Anyone know
                  what's up?

Comment

Breaking news has it that Nick's Fishmarket in Waikiki is joining this list.

This adds to Brew Moon in Ward Center who closed their doors yesterday.

KHON2's (video) news report.

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

You beat me by six minutes, Pomai.
                      And man, if both Brew Moon and Nick's Fishmarket can't survive in this economy, then... yikes!!!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I didn't do the most thorough of searches, so my apologies if these have already been mentioned:

--Drove by India House on King St. It definitely looks closed.
                        --Had a Taco Bell craving while at Ala Moana Center last week, but it's gone too.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
                          Had a Taco Bell craving while at Ala Moana Center last week, but it's gone too.
                          Oh bummer, it was there in January tho. I wondered if got moved to the Food Court area?

Comment

Zaneys restaurant in Downtown has closed also.

http://onokinegrindz.typepad.com/ono..._restaura.html

http://www.yelp.com/biz/zaneys-restaurant-honolulu

Comment

I Love Sushi in Kaimuki has closed..

1126 Koko Head Ave
                              Honolulu, HI 96816
                              (808) 737-3999

http://www.yelp.com/biz/i-love-sushi-honolulu

http://media.www.kaleo.org/media/sto...-3415671.shtml

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                                Oh bummer, it was there in January tho. I wondered if got moved to the Food Court area?
                                I was wondering that same thing. So I actually went to the Food Court right after realizing Taco Bell wasn't in its usual place, and I was saddened to learn there was no Taco Bell there...

:-(

I even checked the little mall map, in case I was delusional...yup...Taco Bell's gone from that place, and so far hasn't relocated elsewhere in the mall.

Comment

Working...
                                X