Disappearing eating establishments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disappearing establishments

House of Janus: as I recall, it was a block west (Ewa) of Ala Moana Shopping Center, next to the old KITV (Channel 4) offices.

Comment

I disagree about Liliha Street, a favorite haunt of mine since I went to school one street over and half a mile up. Yes, lots of small businesses have gone, and more are sure to follow, but that's always been the case there. Look at what kind of places have moved in: other small, locally owned businesses. It's a nice, nice, nice mix of businesses and services, with big hospitals, little dentistry offices, some high-tech firms, a couple of bakeries, a horse brush store, the original L&L, a big supermarket and several small produce markets, restaurants of several different world cuisines, small mom & pop multi-purpose stores, and auto mechanics.

Longs is hitting that corner at Liliha and Kuakini, and yes, some small businesses were forced out, but I think Longs has the right idea; it's going to put up a small neighborhood pharmacy -- something that area really needs. If it builds it right, that intersection is going to be the new heart of Liliha Street, and all those small businesses in the area are going to benefit. It would be nice if Longs would put in a decent-sized, low-rise parking structure behind the new building, so people could park their cars and do all their errand-running on foot. Even if it doesn't, there's so much pedestrian and bus-rider traffic in that area already that I think the place is just going to wake up and hum.

Wider sidewalks and some nice trees here and there, and we could have the next Waialae Avenue, only better.

I think it's worth noting that Kamehameha Shopping Center has a Star/Jamba, but Nuuanu, Liliha, and Puunui still do not.

I'm excited about what's going on in the Liliha area, and look forward to smart development. IF.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
        So, the restaurant at the corner of K-Bay Shopping Center in Kane`ohe - used to be Ko`olau Ranch House, seems to change hands every 2-3 years - what is it now?
        It's a Times Coffee Shop now.

Comment

some of you seem of an older generation. anyone remember what ala moana used to look like 20 years ago? i remember going to mcdonalds and overlooking shoppers in foodland. farrells. how the place used to be local but now its all shops that i will never go into.

someone mentioned that helens has new owners and were unhappy about it. businesses sell all the time, i know that for the 2nd time in 3 years hungry lions has changed hands.

on the flip side, i just shut down my shop. you all probably have never heard of it, tho it was open for 4 years. but thats another story. all i can say is that if you enjoy somewhere, try to support it by shopping there as much as you can.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

I rarely shop at Ala Moana now. They've gone the way of the mainland malls, especially with their own rendition of "Rodeo Drive." Liberty House is gone, replaced by Macy's. No more O'Tahite, Ritz, Sato's, Honolulu Bookstore, India Imports, Hotei-ya, Byron II, etc. Much of the "aloha spirit" has disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
              I disagree about Liliha Street,
              how does one disagree about liliha st?
              if you mean you are in favor of redevelopment, esp. there, you simply have no idea what they are planning. The destruction of the strecth of businesses and the building up of gentrified ugly cheap characterless new buildings. So all those shops you mention will be gone. jane's fountain too. gone. bakeries. gone. L&L orig. Gone.
              The street will no more resemble our liliha. It will look like anytown mainland USA.
              damn shame.
              damn shame about the apathy too.
              damn shame young uns want a starphux and jambajooz on every block too.
              ya want that kinda instant gratification convenience. go to the mainland.

Comment

I recently got a phone call from an unidentified market research co. doing, well, call-out research.

I was asked if I am a local resident and at least 18 years old, which, of course, I am.

The questions were more detailed than this, but this is the gist of the survey:

The caller asked where I'd gone to shop in the past 6 months, and when I relayed my Windward-centric answers, she said those choices didn't appear on her sheet, so she would check "other." Hmm.

She asked which of these stores I had visited in the past 6 mos, and she started rattling off names of a bunch of haute couture and high-end retailers and I just laughed and said "no," with each one she listed.

I hope my honest answers (and others like mine) give whoever is doing the research -- a large, flashing dayglo CLUE about local residents' shopping habits.
                I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
                  I hope my honest answers (and others like mine) give whoever is doing the research -- a large, flashing dayglo CLUE about local residents' shopping habits.
                  won't stop the onslaught, erika. tho we are optimistic. Prolly was market research for
                  "Smaht Magazine"

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    won't stop the onslaught, erika. tho we are optimistic. Prolly was market research for
                    "Smaht Magazine"
                    So in one thread you tell HT to support the Weekly, because it's a local business and they need it.

In another, you bash Smart Magazine, because they're too worldly for your taste.

Two local publications, two different attitudes.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                      Ok. I'm sure nobody cares about the Goodyear franchise in Waimalu, but you might be interested in seeing what's replaced it.

I've forgotten the exact names, and I wasn't close enough to get them all, I suspect, but anyway: on the far left, a police storefront; then the Mail/pkg place that had been next to Subway; Mashies (or something like that); a Great American Bread store; Jamba Juice; Starbucks.
                      The Jamba Juice is now open even though it still looks like a construction site on either side. I wandered into the wine store (no unfermented juice for me!) and learned that they are doing wine tastings every Thursday evening that will feature five or six different wines. Our neighborhood is movin' on up. Wine Tasting Info

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                        So in one thread you tell HT to support the Weekly, because it's a local business and they need it.

In another, you bash Smart Magazine, because they're too worldly for your taste.

Two local publications, two different attitudes.
                        I am an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a puzzle like a pig wrapped in a blanket.

Comment

Ok, I'm a big fried chicken fan, so I got to thinking of places that I liked that no longer exist:

Pioneer Chicken in Salt Lake and Kahala.(i know there were other locations)

Church's Fried Chicken on Piikoi where the used car lot is now.

Chicken Alice's off of Kapiolani

Hana Chicken near the old Pearl Ridge theatres.

I mentioned Chico's in an earlier post.....they had good chicken too!

Speaking of fast food, anyone notice the Taco Bell on King and Keeaumoku shut down and the location up for lease? Wasn't thast one of the first Taco Bells in Hawaii?

Comment

Azeka`s Ribs and Snack Shop, calling it quits....
                            Azeka`s Store was one of only two stores in Kihei, the other being Suda Store
                            Both these store`s we`re popular for their grinds. Azeka`s its Ribs and Suda for the Chow Fun. Talk about plenty ole time shop`s closing down. Lucky still get Takamiya Market for get local kine grinds......

OGGBOY
                            bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

[QUOTE=tvguy]Ok, I'm a big fried chicken fan, so I got to thinking of places that I liked that no longer exist:

Chicken Alice's off of Kapiolani
                              QUOTE]

There is an interview with Chicken Alice here ... as well as the recipe.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/02/16/features/story1.html
                              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy

Speaking of fast food, anyone notice the Taco Bell on King and Keeaumoku shut down and the location up for lease? Wasn't thast one of the first Taco Bells in Hawaii?
                                Yeah, it closed a month ago, I talked to the manager said they had been at that location for 30 years, reason they had to close, their monthly rent tripled in value which they could not afford, so they closed. She said a medical facility is rumored to take over that spot, notice how the old KC Drive Inn is now a 4 to 5 story medical facility under construction. Heard rumors about the Medical Arts Building demise for years also, (perhaps this is its replacement?) so who knows maybe the old Taco Bell property we all ate tacos, instead you get your blood drawn there!

KalihiBoy

Comment

Working...
                                X