Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disappearing establishments

Originally posted by oceanpacific
    Other restaurantswhich have gone by the wayside: Pearl City Tavern (seeing a Cutter car dealership there just kills me);
    Our parents use to take us to Pearl City Tavern on special occasions. Like birthdays, graduations, etc. When I got married I use to do the same for the wife and the kids. Really miss that place and the monkey bar.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
      I miss pizza at Shakey's
      I also miss the Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Pearl City on Kam Hi. That was a hang out for the gang in high school and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by kdramafan
        I also miss the Shakey's Pizza Parlor in Pearl City on Kam Hi. That was a hang out for the gang in high school and beyond.
        Thanks for bringing Shakey`s Pizza Parlor up. I forgot all about this place.
        Talk about good fun times growing up.
        Pizza Hut WHO???
        oggboy
        bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Ok, I know this is a another "soul-less" corporate chain, but I gotta admit that I'm going to miss the 24 hr Jack in the Box at the corner of McCully and Kalakaua. It was extremely convenient for my fast food fix. Maybe I'll actually lose some weight without the temptation of having it so close by...nah...probably not.

Comment

And exactly WHERE do you need to lose weight, Ms Chaos? Inquiring, envious minds wanna know!

Comment

This is not an "establishment", though I was bummed to see it sooo changed.

I went to Dole Playground with my wife in the hopes of hiding a Geocache there. I spent many a day while growing up on Green Street playing there and even had a couple of "Summer Fun" summers too. The good news is that the building is now in use as a child daycare center, but the Pegusus swings in the back and the cool concrete play structure are now gone. They have erected a new fangled jungle gym in it's place.

Across the field and up some stairs is a beautiful Banyan Tree that I played around also. That has become a homeless encampment. Good for them, but no kids will be playing there anymore.

My wife said as I whined about it all, "The tide and time waits for no man".
              I didn't feel any better about it though. Sigh.
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Aloha All; Hope you're having a wonderful Labor Day Weekend. I'm going through nostalgia time again.

Does anyone remember a restaurant/nightclub in Waipahu called the Sty or Stye? This was during the mid 1970s; around 1973-1974. I also believe there was a sister establishment in Niu Valley by the same name and I think the owner was called Al Franco.

I'm trying to dig up information on the shooting that occurred around that time, 1973-74. The manager, named Brian ______ (forgot his last name) was killed that night.

The perps that entered the establishment that evening were there for a reason, to cause much pilikia, and ended up killing the manager instead. This was a pretty popular place during the weekends as I was there all the time. That particular night, Hal Bradbury was singing with his group, (not the Krush), but he was there.

Anyone remember this incident or even the club?? Mahalo

Comment

The Niu Valley "Sty" was home to "Country Comfort" in the early '70s.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                    Ok, I know this is a another "soul-less" corporate chain, but I gotta admit that I'm going to miss the 24 hr Jack in the Box at the corner of McCully and Kalakaua. It was extremely convenient for my fast food fix.
                    I too was surprised to see it boarded up when passing by this past weekend. Seeing an empty lot where the The Wave once stood just up the street is still kinda' weird. Jack in the Box has been a fixture on that corner location for as long as I can remember.

Eggs 'N Things right across the street might pick up some of the post-2am club crowd that relied so much on that Jack in the Box, but their seating capacity is rather limited. At least JB had a drive-thru window. Can't say the "upscale" Cheeseburger Waikiki at the former Sizzler right next door will be getting any of those 99-cent Jumbo Jack bargain hunters.

That's such prime property; anyone know who owns it? I'm really anxious to find out who or what will be there next. Personally I'd like to see another restaurant in there. The asking lease is probably so ridiculously high that likely only a large corporate chain would be able to afford the slim profit (or lack of) margin.

PBN article: Waikiki Jack in the Box Closed

SB:Fast-food chain sells 25 of its isle stores
                    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Krung Thai is gone. My friends and I used to go there on Fridays for their lemon chicken special

Comment

I just learned the other day that Donato's in Manoa closed....Bummer. Anyone know why???

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                          I just learned the other day that Donato's in Manoa closed....Bummer. Anyone know why???
                          Here's one article from Midweek explaining why...

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum..._in_the_towel/

Comment

i just talked to a cab driver who used to run me home from my wednesday night gigs...i called him for a lift yesterday, but he told me he just opened a thai restaurant in the space previously occupied by donato's...i liked it better when it was shipley's, as the owners were dear friends...i'm down for thai food, gonna have to check it out...
                            Don't be mean,
                            try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                              Here's one article from Midweek explaining why...

http://www.midweek.com/content/colum..._in_the_towel/
                              He doesn't sound happy with how things went. Can't blame him though.

Comment

It's been a while since driving up Kapahulu ave.. The other day I just discovered that the entire building (across Genki Sushi) where Subway, Regal Diner, Love's Discount Outlet, the post office and Diamond Head Video were tenants is now vacant. Looks like they'll soon demolish the building to make way for the new 60,000 sq. ft. Safeway Supermarket.

Diamond Head Video has already relocated to the corner of Kapiolani Blvd. and Kalakaua Ave., across the Convention Center.
                                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                                X