"Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Another character-heavy episode with few mythology elements. And some interesting twists. "The Long Con," like the last new episode "Fire + Water," had a very dark tone, and together definitely signal a significant shift in the direction of the show for the rest of this season.

I was genuinely surprised at the end of Sawyer's flashback, and the reveal that followed as to his co-conspirator. On the other hand, in some cases, I wasn't sure if I was seeing deliberate character development or things being done out of character in service of the story. Lots of open questions about motives, I thought.

So, we know Sawyer and Cassidy shacked up in a Mililani Mauka model home, and that Sawyer and Gordy met at Bob's Big Boy in Mapunapuna (saw Moanalua Freeway out the window!). Anyone recognized the gas station, or the industrial area where Sawyer and Cassidy assembled their jewelry con?

Comment

That looked to be Waialua again. It looks like part of the sugar mill. Then the gas station is the gas station Waialua Soda works is at.
      just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Well, I'm utterly useless when it comes to locations, but that gas station where they pulled the scam reminds me of this one little gas station thing I always see when we drive home to Honolulu from the Sam's Club in Pearl Highlands (I think, we haven't been there since the one by Ala Moana opened, but the "JD Race Cars" thing looks familiar to me). But the other sign said "Eric's Expert Service" and there is an "Eric's Service" in Waialua which would make more sense given jkpescador's post.
        myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

What I found that was kind of funny during the gas station scam scene was that the background noise had doves cooing, which also happens from time to time when they film the island's beach scenes.

Comment

Wasn't there also the sound of a train in the distance in that same scene?
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I re-watched parts of it tonight. Yeah the train whistle was at around start of the con where Sawyer was marking the jewelry.

Also noticed that when Sayid and Hurley was listening to the radio at the end of the episode there was the call letters of WXO. Is that a hint to satellite radio or something from the World War II era (giving what music was being played)?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                I re-watched parts of it tonight. Yeah the train whistle was at around start of the con where Sawyer was marking the jewelry.

Also noticed that when Sayid and Hurley was listening to the radio at the end of the episode there was the call letters of WXO. Is that a hint to satellite radio or something from the World War II era (giving what music was being played)?
                I'm not sure when the government started going to 4 letter call signs, but it was quite some time ago. Many 3 letter stations are still around though. WRC in Washington, DC and WOR in New York are two that immediately come to mind. And of course, generally speaking, "W" call signs are east of the Mississippi River and "K" call signs are west. What this means in terms of the "Lost" mythology is anyone's guess! The producers have repeatedly hinted that even the most trivial seeming details "could" have serious plot implications at some point in the story.
                No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

Some of this is off topic but actually when one goes further west there is at least one "W" call sign -WVUV-Leone, American Samoa- Sadly WRC, Washington is now WWRC. The station at 930 in Los Angeles was the original KHJ and when sold became KKHJ. The new licensee petitioned the Commission to return the call signs KHJ to the station because in Spanish-the format of the station-the double K when spoken is slang for # 2. The call signs KKHJ ended up in American Samoa as the FM sister to WVUV.
                  Could there be a wormhole on the Island so that radio signals from the past are coming through and people such as "The Others" can come and go at will?

Comment

When Sayid said the radio transmission could be coming from anywhere, Hurley said: "...or any time. Just kidding, dude." To me, it sounded more like a specific jab at over-imaginative fans who've obsessed about the timeline since the show began. He's delivered many such "insider" lines this season.

Then again, folks are saying the call letters were WXR, which were the call leters used for Coast Guard Radio in Kodiak, Alaska, in 1945. Oooeeeooo!

I never noticed the dove calls, nor the train whistle. (I wonder if the latter was from the Waialua train that they decided to leave in, or added in specifically to be a non-Hawaii sound?) And I completely missed the sound of the plane in the Charlie "the baby's in danger" dream sequence in the previous new episode (apparently if you had HDTV, you actually see the Beechcraft drug plane crash into the forest in the background). I've gotten so comfortable watching TV with Closed Captioning, I've stopped being so sensitive to audio clues!

Comment

I was just about to go listen to The Transmission for the newest ep when I remembered it was over...

Comment

Originally posted by maximumradio
                        Some of this is off topic but actually when one goes further west there is at least one "W" call sign -WVUV-Leone, American Samoa- Sadly WRC, Washington is now WWRC. The station at 930 in Los Angeles was the original KHJ and when sold became KKHJ. The new licensee petitioned the Commission to return the call signs KHJ to the station because in Spanish-the format of the station-the double K when spoken is slang for # 2. The call signs KKHJ ended up in American Samoa as the FM sister to WVUV.
                        Could there be a wormhole on the Island so that radio signals from the past are coming through and people such as "The Others" can come and go at will?
                        I wasn't aware of the call sign change for WRC radio. It wasn't a station that I ever listened to when I lived there. I was more into "DC-101" (WWDC). The TV station, however, is still WRC. But as you said, we're getting off-topic
                        No, I'm not the Larry Price, I just happen to have the same name.

Comment

One thing I couldn't figure out is why Ana Lucia got confused over the Scott/Steve name mix-up. Scott died at least a couple of weeks, before she showed up.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                            One thing I couldn't figure out is why Ana Lucia got confused over the Scott/Steve name mix-up. Scott died at least a couple of weeks, before she showed up.
                            Mostly, to be funny. The Scott/Steve is one of many running gags. Then again, if the whole "fusies" camp remains confused over those names, it seems reasonable that Ana Lucia would get it wrong, also.

In other news, looks like "Lost" was filming at Murphy's at the top of Merchant Street this morning.

Comment

Ah. They've moved down Merchant to Alakea. The old City Bank location, I think... now the Southland Savings Bank.

It's a Locke flashback!

Comment

Heeeey, did you guys ever see that thing on the counter for the bunker and what happened with it during the preview?

Some people are saying it's possibly an evil trick...

Lost -- One of Them: Less than zero?

Thanks to Oli_Salmon for pointing this out:

In the "LOST -- One of Them" promo (airing 2/15) we are once again teased with the counter reaching zero. However, this is not the same counter as the one in the hatch. Observe:

http://www.thetailsection.com/uploa...11nq-703345.jpg

Counter from "LOST -- One of them", notice the spaces between the digits.

http://www.thetailsection.com/uploa...nter-779751.jpg

Counter from "LOST -- The Long Con". Different sized tiles, and no spaces between individual digits.

Is this a clever misdirection? Perhaps it is a prop from Sayid's flashback? Something to do with his interrogation?

...or a really sick continuity error.

Comment

Working...
                                X