"Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: "Lost" Season 2 Chapter 2

At the beginning of the episode I thought Jin was being an ass when he tore up Sun's garden.

The question now is did Sun tell the truth about not being with another man.

Comment

Please don't forget the spoiler tag....
      Last edited by mel; March 22, 2006, 10:29 PM.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

A good, character-focused episode (though perhaps a downer for the "mythology" folks). Our survivors continue to scheme amongst themselves, and we learn a bit more about Jin and Sun. I thought Jin's character got more depth, and Daniel Dae Kim shined. ("Daddy-o.") And the flashback and events with Sun on the island left things ambiguous when I was expecting another big reveal. We've always liked Ana Lucia, though she's not a fan favorite, and I thought this episode was also a good one for her.

The question from last week, as to whether Henry Gale is an "Other," remains open. I still vote "yes," even though it otherwise seems like an obvious setup for a twist. (And yes, I saw the teaser for next week, spoiler fiends. Now that episode will make the "mythology" folks giddy.) And speaking of spoilers:
        The big question from this week is obviously whether Jin's the father of Sun's baby. But we can't debate that outside of spoiler tags for a week. For what it's worth, I actually think he is... perhaps again putting me in the minority.

For those who saw the episode, the blog entry by Kilinahe and me is here. Lots more thoughts, observations, and questions.

For the flashback, I like that they used the opposite side of the same stretch of the Ala Wai as they did for the previous flashback where Sun and Jin first met. It was neat to see the back of the Hawaii Convention Center, and the unmistakable orange stripe of TheBus as it crossed the bridge at Kalakaua. Neat that you saw the filming, manoasurfer... next time you spot a film crew, you should post about it here!

I was originally going to be a "background extra" in that scene, believe it or not. I ended up in a shot for next week's episode instead. Since they film a lot that they don't use, I won't know 'til it airs whether they use it at all, and even if they do, I'm one of a dozen blurry smudges in the distance. That's the difference between "extra" and "background extra."

I was trying to figure out what buildings they used for the interior shots -- the hotel, and the doctor's office. Both views seemed to have a bit of CGI to make it less obviously Honolulu (including fake buildings and Korean signage). The hotel looked like it was in the vicinity of the Discovery Bay condos.

Comment

The cliff was another CGI bit. The look and feel of it seemed similar to the CGI images of Iraq a few episodes back.

And, Yoon-jin Kim in a negligee. Thumbs way up.

Comment

Ah, yes, the cliffs. They weren't the most convincing effects, but not bad for a weekly primetime show.

As "Lost" gets more comfortable with CG, and turns to it more and more to create landscapes and "mattes," though, I begin to wonder just how tied the show's production will ultimately be to Hawaii. If you don't need our spectacular scenery, you could do "Lost" in a warehouse with a few green screens.

Isn't some CG work being done by a local company, though? I recall reading something to that effect... it being part of the production's qualifications for some tax benefits or something.

(Just the thumbs, Glen?)

Comment

If I answered that one, PZ, then Aunty would give me a big WHACK WHACK.

Comment

Hehe, Sawyer called her "Sunshine." Cute.

My friends always seem to hate episodes like this that don't do anything but develop characters. Always complaining about how none of the mysteries ever gets answered. I like these episodes, though. Jin and Sun at the end were so sweet, awww.

My parents decided to watch American Idol instead of Lost (their loss...no, seriously), so when their crappy-VCR-that-I-told-them-was-a-huge-piece-of-junk malfunctioned and didn't tape Lost for them, they were pissed. I know they were already annoyed with all the breaks the show took...so I went and did some pirating. Got Nero 6 (which I've been avoiding because I just didn't wanna deal with that stuff), got the ep, and threw together a pretty shoddy (but purty to me...) Lost-themed DVD with NeroVision Express in about 45 minutes.

They're watching it right now and it's working nicely... I'm happy, they're happy, and I'm having a ball listen to my mom's whacko commentary...like when Charlie suggesting eating those green papayas.

she just keeps insisting that the bald English teacher is the baby's father, which I don't agree with, but it's still funny listening to her argue about it with my dad

Nice to see Rose and Bernard in that small scene, too.
                Last edited by kupomog; March 23, 2006, 06:30 PM.
                myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

To crib a line from AbsolutChaos above... not necessarily pertaining to "Lost Season 2," but perhaps of interest to "Lost" fans:

Some local "LOST" lovers are trying to start an informal, unofficial, Hawaii "LOST" fan club. There's a skeleton of a website at HawaiiLOST.com, and an e-mail discussion list. If you're a big "LOST" fan or know one, be sure to spread the word.

Can't wait for tomorrow's episode!

Comment

Matthew Fox is about to take us "behind the scenes in Hawaii" coming up Next on Oprah!

Turn to it now if you get a chance (4:37 pm March 28)

Comment

I know oprah didn't really mean this... but it was kind of a stinger...

"if you've never tried these... Chocolate Covered Macadamia Nuts are like Crack!.... Addictive" (also Oprah gave everyone in her audience a bag.... of um... Nuts)

I don't think she realizes the crack problem we have here and to have her compare them to crack seemed kind of ironic and harsh.

Overall the interview with Matthew Fox went fairly well... didn't say much about the show, however did comment on some of his routines...

I'm sure those routines will now have to change since he mentioned them on Oprah...

ie; he likes to go to Lanikai Juice in Kailua about 2-3 times a week in the mornings before work. I guess a lot of the cast members go there also.

Looks like Lanikai Juice might be getting some serious business in the next few weeks...

He also like to go to Kahala Mandarin to "escape from his kids with his wife" and he thinks the restaraunt there Hoku's is his favorite on Oahu.

He grew up riding a Horse before walking...(so he said)

and also said he had never met a mean person in Hawaii.

Over all came off pretty good.... Didn't say anything about the weather going on though...
                      Last edited by damontucker; March 28, 2006, 04:08 PM. Reason: more details

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                        Over all came off pretty good.... Didn't say anything about the weather going on though...
                        I was channel-surfing and happened to hit it right as she was introducing him, so I saw the same thing you did, and thought the same thing about Lanikai Juice and Hoku's at the Kahala Mandarin Oriental Hotel (or whatever its name is this week). The horseback riding scenes at Kualoa Ranch were beautiful.
                        Oprah said Hawai`i is the #1 vacation spot in the world. I don't know if she's claiming that as the truth or if it's just #1 to her.
                        But your question about not mentioning the weather? Well, his segment was at the very end of the show, and I noticed that after the credits scrolled the last line noted that that episode of Oprah was copyrighted in 2005. I'm thinking it was a rerun.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Yeah, it was actually a re-run.
                          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Have we ever learned how Locke got paralyzed?
                            'Cause I thought for sure he was gonna get his kneecaps smashed during tonight's episode.
                            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Well. That was a meaty episode for the conspiracy theorists. For those who saw it, Kilinahe and I blog our thoughts on "Lockdown" here. Yeah, they cut the scene I was a "background extra" in.

Man. I can't think of what to post about that isn't spoilery.

Glad to see Jack on the rise again. And hints about an interesting past (travel and tattoos). I could've done without the brief googly-eyes at Kate, though. And how about Locke's client? A familiar face -- very interesting. That long-standing theory about Anthony Cooper and "the real Sawyer"? Seems pretty likely now. (Is $700,000 actually $600,000 plus a con or two?) A few good lines, too. "Should I get a ruler?" "Somethin' was burnin' and it wasn't from the sunshine." "Put your mangoes where your mouth is."

Well, there's always location spotting. Locke and [REDACTED] met up at Murphy's Bar and Grill. Locke's client's house looked like Mililani (again) -- the address was 94-XXX. But where was that graveyard? Was it the one on S. King near One Archer Lane? It looked like it was in town, but I couldn't place it. And how about that hotel? Looked like Makiki, and there were fragments of city visible out the windows, but... again, I couldn't be sure.

Oh, by the way...

Love "LOST"? Live on "The Island"? Join the Hawaii LOST Fan Club!

Comment

I was wondering if the spoiler rule is discouraging people to post to this thread? Seemed to have worked before. Perhaps there are more Lost discussion boards and threads all over the net... Maybe a "read this thread at your own risk of spoilers" may be needed instead? Tell me what you think here.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X