Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Advertiser boo-boo

Talking Advertiser boo-boo

A very funny typo (at least I hope it's a typo) in today's Advertiser sports section, viewable at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...29/1054/SPORTS .
    The first sentence in the third paragraph about Tiger Woods says "Woods' withdrawal is a serious blow to the star-depraved Mercedes Championships."
    DeprAved?!??

I hope they meant deprIved.
    But maybe they wanted better attendance or higher ratings.

In all fairness, I've gotta say the byline on the article was the Associated Press, not one of the Advertiser's writers. But still.

Default Re: Advertiser boo-boo

I just saw that five minutes ago too! Thought I read it wrong at first!

Quote Originally Posted by LikaNui
    In all fairness, I've gotta say the byline on the article was the Associated Press, not one of the Advertiser's writers. But still.
    Well, the Honolulu Advertiser wasn't the only news outlet to let the typo in the wire article out into the wild... but several others apparently caught it before publication.

You might enjoy this wrap-up of print media boo-boos of 2005:
    http://www.regrettheerror.com/2005/1..._05_the_y.html

Cute one this morning. On the front page of the Advertiser there's a teaser for an article inside, and it mentions a Buddist temple.
    Hmmmm. Rastafarians got a Buddist temple? Or, a Buddist temple for Pakaloloism?
    Oh. They meant a Buddhist temple. A BuddHist temple.
    Never mind.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

buddist. har. good catch leek.

Quote Originally Posted by kimo55
    buddist. har. good catch leek.
    Tanks, keem. Eh, can be one buddist if nevah inhale?

thank gawd for the h.a. and their breaking news stories.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br03p.html

Quote Originally Posted by kimo55
    thank gawd for the h.a. and their breaking news stories.
    http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br03p.html
    Hmmm. "Traffic moving well into town" sez the headline. I hope the well survived the move. And where did the well move from? Where did the well move to? I stay confused.
    But Traffic is still one of my favorite old bands.

much of the water schloshed out.
    See, Traffic is touring again, but due to their fanbase dying off as is the case with many of da ol kine, they are taken to supplementing their income by providing utility delivery service; dropping off water to those in need. carrying electricity across town in copper wiring... hey...

Default Re: Star-Bulletin boo-boo

Check out this one in today's Star-Bulletin. It's in the section about "New releases from Hawaii authors".
    The headline is: "Gaijin Yokozuna: A Biography of Chad Rowen".
    And the review notes "His book chronicles the life of Chad Rowen".
    I'll tell ya what -- is there anybody in Hawai`i nei who doesn't know that Akebono's name is RowAn, not RowEn?!??
    The Star-Bulletin gets a couple of Auntie Lynn's "whack whacks" for that one. Er, for those two.

Default Re: Star-Bulletin boo-boo

Check out this one in today's Star-Bulletin. It's in the section about "New releases from Hawaii authors".
    The headline is: "Gaijin Yokozuna: A Biography of Chad Rowen".
    And the review notes "His book chronicles the life of Chad Rowen".
    I'll tell ya what -- is there anybody in Hawai`i nei who doesn't know that Akebono's name is RowAn, not RowEn?!??
    The Star-Bulletin gets a couple of Auntie Lynn's "whack whacks" for that one. Er, for those two.
    Whack Whacks!

Auntie Lynn
    Last edited by 1stwahine; June 18th, 2006 at 02:55 PM.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna

Hmmm. "Traffic moving well into town" sez the headline. I hope the well survived the move. And where did the well move from? Where did the well move to? I stay confused.
    But Traffic is still one of my favorite old bands.

Maybe it should read: Traffic moving...well...into town at least

Does the Advertiser have a grudge against Hoku Scientific?
    They ran almost the same story about them twice today.
    Section B, page 3 (The "Hawaii" local news section) and again in Section C, page 1 (the "Business" section). Same story, but appears to have been written by two authors. Apparently each section didn't know that the other section was doing the same story. How did that mistake happen?

Interesting that one of the two stories was already removed from their website. The only one left is the one in the Business section at this link.

It's not that malicious! Companies have their PR firms send their press releases to every department. City decides it will run a brief...Biz decides it will run a brief...And if they each talk to the PR firm, the contact will not say that the other department is also covering it. Newspaper departments don't usually discuss items that run in briefs columns, just the main stories. Maybe they should? Does it really hurt? Surely there are readers who read the metro section and not business and not sports but Island life. The redundancy is obvious to those of us who pore over every page, but it's a fact that there are readers who don't bother with one section or another.
    There's another thing: PR firms measure column inches in client coverage, so this would essentially double what a PR firm can value for this particular coverage. Ka-ching.

Does the Advertiser have a grudge against Hoku Scientific?
    They ran almost the same story about them twice today.
    Section B, page 3 (The "Hawaii" local news section) and again in Section C, page 1 (the "Business" section). Same story, but appears to have been written by two authors. Apparently each section didn't know that the other section was doing the same story. How did that mistake happen?
    What, are you kidding? I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often! For local stories, it's either a simple lack of communication, or someone taking a different angle on the same story and not realizing that someone else is working on an extremely similar story. This shouldn't happen (with local stories, I mean), but it can if people just aren't talking to each other enough. Sometimes we get tunnel vision. Or it's a simple misunderstanding. "I thought I was supposed to use that story!" "No, I said I was going to use it!"

Here's how it happens with non-local stories:

Similar stories, different slugs, moving on different wires. Or even ... SAME story, moving on different wires. Let's say I'm a wire editor (national desk). I don't look at the Biz wire, EVER. I grab the story on the National wire, unaware that it's moving on another wire because 1. I'm in a hurry and don't notice the "also moving on business wire" tag, or 2. it's not the exact same story as on the biz wire, it's just similar, so there is no notation -- the stores came from different sources (AP and NYT, perhaps).

Someone else takes the story that moved on the Biz wire. We're on deadline, we don't have time to run around the newsroom broadcasting every story we're running. We find out the next day when we get an outraged phone call from a reader who, nine times out of 10, blames our mistake on our liberal slant, our taking orders from the Bush administration or our pro- or anti-business/military/Hawaiian/nuke/animal rights position. Depending on the reader.

Also ... yeah, what Lavagal said.
    Last edited by MadAzza; July 12th, 2006 at 12:37 PM. Reason: just read Lavagal's post

I'm not saying that it was "malicious" or that it was done intentionally!
    What I am saying is that I'm surprised it wasn't caught, that's all. Settle down, ladies.
    It would seem that a major newspaper would have software that could catch the dual item. Or copy editors that would catch it. Doesn't someone look through it before it's sent off to the printing plant?
    Sheesh...
    [/sigh]

(And I apologize for saying earlier "Does the Advertiser have a grudge against Hoku Scientific?" cuz it was meant tongue-in-cheek but obviously didn't come out that way.)

Doesn't someone look through it before it's sent off to the printing plant?
    Sheesh...
    Not until it's printed....
    Various departments meet constantly to compare what each is up to. But one editor's description may not fit another editor's perception of the story.
    On the other hand, shit happens. Putting out a newspaper is like publishing a new phone book EVERY DAY. It ain't magic. It's work.
    Last edited by buzz1941; July 12th, 2006 at 10:19 PM.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

I'm not saying that it was "malicious" or that it was done intentionally!
    What I am saying is that I'm surprised it wasn't caught, that's all. Settle down, ladies.
    Huh? I didn't notice "ladies" getting excited or upset. Am I missing posts?

I offered an explanation. Nothing to get excited about there. Sorry if my response bothered you for some reason, but I don't see why I would have to "settle down."

It would seem that a major newspaper would have software that could catch the dual item. Or copy editors that would catch it. Doesn't someone look through it before it's sent off to the printing plant?
    Nope. You send each page to prepress as you finish it, generally. You don't print the entire thing out and then have someone check each story on every page. Come by sometime and I'll explain it better, if you want.

(And I apologize for saying earlier "Does the Advertiser have a grudge against Hoku Scientific?" cuz it was meant tongue-in-cheek but obviously didn't come out that way.)
    I thought it came out as a joke. Wouldn't bother me if it weren't a joke, though. I don't think it warrants an apology, but then, I don't work at the Tizer, either. My "What Lavagal said" comment was directed at her explanation of how two departments might type up the same news brief item from different angles.

Are you feeling sensitive tonight, LikaNui?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAzza
    Are you feeling sensitive tonight, LikaNui?
    I think it was, as with Scriv, a temporary membership in the "Wild Hair" Club for Men.

j/k

Settle down, gentlemen.

I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Engle
    I think it was, as with Scriv, a temporary membership in the "Wild Hair" Club for Men.

j/k

Settle down, gentlemen.

what you doing on this thread Erika???

Wrong paper

Quote Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
    what you doing on this thread Erika???

Wrong paper
    I just had to chime in, not about the Tizer -- but because I had a punch line (of sorts) that I had to get out.

Is it just me... or are others having this same problem today... or did I just now notice something there? Or is my calendar a few months off...?

Hawai'i's Newspaper Online Tuesday, February 7, 2006

This is what todays online edition says on my browser...
    (Top left?)

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com

Funny.
    I clicked on your link and saw the Feb. date. I then clicked on "refresh" and it was still there ...
    I have no idea how that sort of thing happens.

Headline in today's 'Tizer:

Slayings indicate many woman need help escaping violent men

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0336/1010/NEWS

How many editor are working there, and how long before they catch this one?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast