X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Advertiser boo-boo

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
    "A 38-year-old man riding a motorcyclist was transported to The Queen's Medical Center (...) "

Well, yeah, anybody who jumps on "a motorcyclist" and tries to ride him (or her) will certainly end up in a hospital!!!

Well...I hope the motorcyclist was a woman for the sake of the rest of hetrosexual men out there..."A 38-year old man riding a motorcyclist"? Yeah I'd rather be riding her than the bike.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      However, I have long preferred the S-B's website over the Advertiser's; I now have reason to question the wisdom of that choice.
      Their Web site has a couple of dozen people, ours has 1.5 employees. They are the big dog. And they did seem to get the information ahead of us. It's possible that they threatened HARA the same way they threaten others, like the symphony.
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        Their Web site has a couple of dozen people, ours has 1.5 employees. They are the big dog. And they did seem to get the information ahead of us. It's possible that they threatened HARA the same way they threaten others, like the symphony.
        It's called competition, man. You either fight back with the troops you have or give up the battle. Your continued whining about the Advertiser being the "big dog" is lost on me. The S-B won! You're still publishing.

Just admit you lost this little Hoku skirmish and move on.

Comment

Just for a flip to the other side...and since there's no S-B boo-boo thread...
          Pssst... yes there is.
          [/whisper]

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Their Web site has a couple of dozen people, ours has 1.5 employees.
            Yeah, but...but...you've got BLAINE! He has powers beyond human comprehension. Isn't he worth ten Gannett-ers?
            And they did seem to get the information ahead of us. It's possible that they threatened HARA the same way they threaten others, like the symphony.
            Ouch. Tell us more...you can't leave it hanging out there like that.
            Pssst... yes there is.
            [/whisper]
            Hmmm...25 posts there, versus 140 here.

Comment

Originally posted by mediababy67 View Post
              It's called competition, man. You either fight back with the troops you have or give up the battle. Your continued whining about the Advertiser being the "big dog" is lost on me. The S-B won! You're still publishing.

Just admit you lost this little Hoku skirmish and move on.
              Uh, I think we'll live.

I wasn't whining, just pointing out a fact. They will beat us when they use muscle and money. We will beat them when we use talent and taste. The town is better with two newspapers in competition, not a single Gannett paper trying to screw the citizens.

BTW, we do have the Hoku noms online.
              Burl Burlingame
              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Complete with mistakes, I fear.

Burl, I still hope you'll provide more facts about the accusation regarding the symphony that you made here earlier.

Comment

It's just a measure of the extreme ruthlessness exhibited by Gannett executives. We run across it all the time in Features. Essentially, Advertiser editors threaten organizations and businesses that they will not cover their event unless they deal exclusively with the Gannett paper or provide the info in advance of release to other news organizations (not just the Star-Bulletin). When there's a deadline embargo on a press release, they consistantly break it in order to "beat" the competition. They are placing all their eggs in the Breaking News online section. That's a current Gannett initiative, not just the Advertiser.
                  It's just competition, man, and they're not afraid to throw their weight around. Those are the breaks.
                  When the symphony was about to announce the new creative director, a top editor at the Advertiser was making continuous calls to symphony officials telling them to give the information exclusively to the Advertiser so they could announce the news the day before the press conference, otherwise, the Tizer would not cover the symphony in the future. It was a hollow threat, and to their credit, the symphony folks called their bluff.
                  That's a fair amount of bad karma to spread on something that will be public knowledge, not investigative work on the part of their staff.
                  And so, when you see that stuff appears in their online edition ahead of other news organizations, or if you see an interview with a visiting artist or entertainer who doesn't interview elsewhere, it's often because they were intimidated or bullied.
                  While it's nice to get an exclusive, our attitude in the Features section of the Star-Bulletin is that we don't care if these folks also talk to the Advertiser, because our stories are invariably more entertaining than theirs.
                  Please note that while the writing staff of the Advertiser is often compelled to bully their sources, this initiative comes from above.
                  Didn't anyone wonder why the Ho family wrote the Advertiser's coverage for them, and yet none of the family were quoted in the Star-Bulletin?
                  Burl Burlingame
                  honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Complete with mistakes, I fear.
                    After some off-board discussion, I withdraw this comment - it's all in the definitions, and I accept how it was explained to me. Sorry to cast aspersions on anyone.

Comment

• Re: Advertiser chuckle

It's not a "boo boo" but more of a chuckle. If you read this Breaking News item, it includes the following:

"A 38-year-old elementary school resource teacher pleaded guilty this morning to federal drug and firearm charges and agreed to give up her Kailua home in connection with drug trafficking."
                      (...)
                      "Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Kawahara said Kugle was arrested after authorities intercepted a parcel going from California to her Kailua home that contained more than 2 pounds of cocaine and nearly 989 tablets of MDMA, also known as Ecstasy."

"Nearly 989 tablets"??? So, what, exactly 988 tablets? Exactly 990? Why "nearly 989" if it was, you know, exactly 989?
                      I know, I know. Someone here will say that the Advertiser was in a big hurry or some other excuse. And of course it's an extremely minor "oops" on their part, which is why I titled this post a chuckle and not a boo-boo.
                      I'm not bit**ing about it; just got a minor chuckle out of me, that's all. Hope you do too.

Comment

"Nearly 989 tablets"??? So, what, exactly 988 tablets? Exactly 990? Why "nearly 989" if it was, you know, exactly 989?
                        I know, I know. Someone here will say that the Advertiser was in a big hurry or some other excuse.
                        Chances are that was the original wording in the press release. They don't edit these things.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Chances are that was the original wording in the press release. They don't edit these things.
                          Then for them to avoid looking foolish, I'd suggest one of two options:
                          1) Put the questionable item in quotes. For instance, they could've added these first seven words -- "According to sources at Honolulu Police Deparment, Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Kawahara said Kugle was arrested after authorities intercepted a parcel going from California to her Kailua home that contained more than 2 pounds of cocaine and nearly 989 tablets of MDMA, also known as Ecstasy." That puts the onus on HPD, not the newspaper.
                          2) If they see something questionable, make a quick call to HPD's Press Liaison person, point out the problem, and have them re-word it. Might take a whole minute.
                          Whatcha think?

Comment

If they take a whole minute to confirm some facts, they won't get it up a minute earlier on the Breaking News. It's about being first — even with stuff most papers wouldn't run — than with being accurate.
                            Burl Burlingame
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

It's about being first — even with stuff most papers wouldn't run — than with being accurate.
                              Which just goes to prove that their priorities are bass ackwards.
                              "Dumbing down" journalism just... sucks.

Comment

..."Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Kawahara said Kugle was arrested after authorities intercepted a parcel going from California to her Kailua home that contained more than 2 pounds of cocaine and nearly 989 tablets of MDMA, also known as Ecstasy."....
                                That did give me a chuckle but maybe it was 988 tablets and one smooshed one?

Comment

Working...
                                X