This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertiser boo-boo

A very funny typo (at least I hope it's a typo) in today's Advertiser sports section, viewable at http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...29/1054/SPORTS .
    The first sentence in the third paragraph about Tiger Woods says "Woods' withdrawal is a serious blow to the star-depraved Mercedes Championships."
    DeprAved?!??

I hope they meant deprIved.
    But maybe they wanted better attendance or higher ratings.

In all fairness, I've gotta say the byline on the article was the Associated Press, not one of the Advertiser's writers. But still.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Advertiser boo-boo

I just saw that five minutes ago too! Thought I read it wrong at first!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
      In all fairness, I've gotta say the byline on the article was the Associated Press, not one of the Advertiser's writers. But still.
      Well, the Honolulu Advertiser wasn't the only news outlet to let the typo in the wire article out into the wild... but several others apparently caught it before publication.

Comment

You might enjoy this wrap-up of print media boo-boos of 2005:
        http://www.regrettheerror.com/2005/1..._05_the_y.html

Comment

Cute one this morning. On the front page of the Advertiser there's a teaser for an article inside, and it mentions a Buddist temple.
          Hmmmm. Rastafarians got a Buddist temple? Or, a Buddist temple for Pakaloloism?
          Oh. They meant a Buddhist temple. A BuddHist temple.
          Never mind.

Comment

buddist. har. good catch leek.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              buddist. har. good catch leek.
              Tanks, keem. Eh, can be one buddist if nevah inhale?

Comment

thank gawd for the h.a. and their breaking news stories.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br03p.html

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  thank gawd for the h.a. and their breaking news stories.
                  http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br03p.html
                  Hmmm. "Traffic moving well into town" sez the headline. I hope the well survived the move. And where did the well move from? Where did the well move to? I stay confused.
                  But Traffic is still one of my favorite old bands.

Comment

much of the water schloshed out.
                    See, Traffic is touring again, but due to their fanbase dying off as is the case with many of da ol kine, they are taken to supplementing their income by providing utility delivery service; dropping off water to those in need. carrying electricity across town in copper wiring... hey...

Comment

Re: Star-Bulletin boo-boo

Check out this one in today's Star-Bulletin. It's in the section about "New releases from Hawaii authors".
                      The headline is: "Gaijin Yokozuna: A Biography of Chad Rowen".
                      And the review notes "His book chronicles the life of Chad Rowen".
                      I'll tell ya what -- is there anybody in Hawai`i nei who doesn't know that Akebono's name is RowAn, not RowEn?!??
                      The Star-Bulletin gets a couple of Auntie Lynn's "whack whacks" for that one. Er, for those two.

Comment

Re: Star-Bulletin boo-boo

Check out this one in today's Star-Bulletin. It's in the section about "New releases from Hawaii authors".
                        The headline is: "Gaijin Yokozuna: A Biography of Chad Rowen".
                        And the review notes "His book chronicles the life of Chad Rowen".
                        I'll tell ya what -- is there anybody in Hawai`i nei who doesn't know that Akebono's name is RowAn, not RowEn?!??
                        The Star-Bulletin gets a couple of Auntie Lynn's "whack whacks" for that one. Er, for those two.
                        Whack Whacks!

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; June 18, 2006, 02:55 PM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hmmm. "Traffic moving well into town" sez the headline. I hope the well survived the move. And where did the well move from? Where did the well move to? I stay confused.
                          But Traffic is still one of my favorite old bands.

Maybe it should read: Traffic moving...well...into town at least
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Does the Advertiser have a grudge against Hoku Scientific?
                            They ran almost the same story about them twice today.
                            Section B, page 3 (The "Hawaii" local news section) and again in Section C, page 1 (the "Business" section). Same story, but appears to have been written by two authors. Apparently each section didn't know that the other section was doing the same story. How did that mistake happen?

Interesting that one of the two stories was already removed from their website. The only one left is the one in the Business section at this link.

Comment

It's not that malicious! Companies have their PR firms send their press releases to every department. City decides it will run a brief...Biz decides it will run a brief...And if they each talk to the PR firm, the contact will not say that the other department is also covering it. Newspaper departments don't usually discuss items that run in briefs columns, just the main stories. Maybe they should? Does it really hurt? Surely there are readers who read the metro section and not business and not sports but Island life. The redundancy is obvious to those of us who pore over every page, but it's a fact that there are readers who don't bother with one section or another.
                              There's another thing: PR firms measure column inches in client coverage, so this would essentially double what a PR firm can value for this particular coverage. Ka-ching.
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                              X