X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertiser boo-boo

Originally posted by LikaNui
    Does the Advertiser have a grudge against Hoku Scientific?
    They ran almost the same story about them twice today.
    Section B, page 3 (The "Hawaii" local news section) and again in Section C, page 1 (the "Business" section). Same story, but appears to have been written by two authors. Apparently each section didn't know that the other section was doing the same story. How did that mistake happen?
    What, are you kidding? I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often! For local stories, it's either a simple lack of communication, or someone taking a different angle on the same story and not realizing that someone else is working on an extremely similar story. This shouldn't happen (with local stories, I mean), but it can if people just aren't talking to each other enough. Sometimes we get tunnel vision. Or it's a simple misunderstanding. "I thought I was supposed to use that story!" "No, I said I was going to use it!"

Here's how it happens with non-local stories:

Similar stories, different slugs, moving on different wires. Or even ... SAME story, moving on different wires. Let's say I'm a wire editor (national desk). I don't look at the Biz wire, EVER. I grab the story on the National wire, unaware that it's moving on another wire because 1. I'm in a hurry and don't notice the "also moving on business wire" tag, or 2. it's not the exact same story as on the biz wire, it's just similar, so there is no notation -- the stores came from different sources (AP and NYT, perhaps).

Someone else takes the story that moved on the Biz wire. We're on deadline, we don't have time to run around the newsroom broadcasting every story we're running. We find out the next day when we get an outraged phone call from a reader who, nine times out of 10, blames our mistake on our liberal slant, our taking orders from the Bush administration or our pro- or anti-business/military/Hawaiian/nuke/animal rights position. Depending on the reader.

Also ... yeah, what Lavagal said.
    Last edited by MadAzza; July 12, 2006, 12:37 PM. Reason: just read Lavagal's post

Comment

I'm not saying that it was "malicious" or that it was done intentionally!
      What I am saying is that I'm surprised it wasn't caught, that's all. Settle down, ladies.
      It would seem that a major newspaper would have software that could catch the dual item. Or copy editors that would catch it. Doesn't someone look through it before it's sent off to the printing plant?
      Sheesh...
      [/sigh]

(And I apologize for saying earlier "Does the Advertiser have a grudge against Hoku Scientific?" cuz it was meant tongue-in-cheek but obviously didn't come out that way.)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Doesn't someone look through it before it's sent off to the printing plant?
        Sheesh...
        Not until it's printed....
        Various departments meet constantly to compare what each is up to. But one editor's description may not fit another editor's perception of the story.
        On the other hand, shit happens. Putting out a newspaper is like publishing a new phone book EVERY DAY. It ain't magic. It's work.
        Last edited by buzz1941; July 12, 2006, 10:19 PM.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

I'm not saying that it was "malicious" or that it was done intentionally!
          What I am saying is that I'm surprised it wasn't caught, that's all. Settle down, ladies.
          Huh? I didn't notice "ladies" getting excited or upset. Am I missing posts?

I offered an explanation. Nothing to get excited about there. Sorry if my response bothered you for some reason, but I don't see why I would have to "settle down."

It would seem that a major newspaper would have software that could catch the dual item. Or copy editors that would catch it. Doesn't someone look through it before it's sent off to the printing plant?
          Nope. You send each page to prepress as you finish it, generally. You don't print the entire thing out and then have someone check each story on every page. Come by sometime and I'll explain it better, if you want.

(And I apologize for saying earlier "Does the Advertiser have a grudge against Hoku Scientific?" cuz it was meant tongue-in-cheek but obviously didn't come out that way.)
          I thought it came out as a joke. Wouldn't bother me if it weren't a joke, though. I don't think it warrants an apology, but then, I don't work at the Tizer, either. My "What Lavagal said" comment was directed at her explanation of how two departments might type up the same news brief item from different angles.

Are you feeling sensitive tonight, LikaNui?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            Are you feeling sensitive tonight, LikaNui?
            I think it was, as with Scriv, a temporary membership in the "Wild Hair" Club for Men.

j/k

Settle down, gentlemen.

I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
              I think it was, as with Scriv, a temporary membership in the "Wild Hair" Club for Men.

j/k

Settle down, gentlemen.

what you doing on this thread Erika???

Wrong paper

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                what you doing on this thread Erika???

Wrong paper
                I just had to chime in, not about the Tizer -- but because I had a punch line (of sorts) that I had to get out.

Comment

Is it just me... or are others having this same problem today... or did I just now notice something there? Or is my calendar a few months off...?

Hawai'i's Newspaper Online Tuesday, February 7, 2006

This is what todays online edition says on my browser...
                  (Top left?)

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com

Comment

Funny.
                    I clicked on your link and saw the Feb. date. I then clicked on "refresh" and it was still there ...
                    I have no idea how that sort of thing happens.

Comment

Headline in today's 'Tizer:

Slayings indicate many woman need help escaping violent men

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0336/1010/NEWS

How many editor are working there, and how long before they catch this one?

Comment

• Windward O'ahu feels 5.0 earthquake off Koho'olawe
                        Where in the heck is this place?

Breaking news... New CITY in Hawaii?

Comment

Where in the heck is this place?

Breaking news... New CITY in Hawaii?
                          Koho'olawe? What's wrong with it. It's correct.

Kohoolawe, also known as Koho'olawe with Maui in the background.

Auntie Lynn
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; July 27, 2006, 10:46 AM.
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

they have now quickly corrected their breaking news to read....

Kaho'olawe

And Auntie... you getting me on my spelling

Comment

they have now quickly corrected their breaking news to read....

Kaho'olawe

And Auntie... you getting me on my spelling
                              Das da same ting when it came out!

I give up.

Auntie Lynn
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Das da same ting when it came out!
                                Nope... they changed it within the last few minutes!

It was spelled Koho...not Kaho

Comment

Working...
                                X