This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertiser boo-boo

Taking a quick lunch break right now ... and I had to chime in about Ala Moan, Ala MOAN, etc.

Back in the 70s there was a long-running TV spot for some Honolulu business that was located, according to the X@##%!! announcer, on Ala (like the first two syllables in Alabama) Mow-AY-nuh Boulevard.

Grr!

(And I believe SB style omits the Blvd. as redundant.)
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle
      (And I believe SB style omits the Blvd. as redundant.)
      Yep, "Blvd." is redundant. "Ala" means "Way, path, road".
      Last edited by Composite 2992; August 3, 2006, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Calling Kimberly Kim (the 14 year old golfer that won this weekend) from HILO when she is actually from PAHOA....

Is like calling someone from Honolulu when they are actually from Waianae!

Too complete different zip codes.

BOTH papers are listing her as from Hilo.... when it should be PAHOA!
        Last edited by damontucker; August 14, 2006, 12:39 PM.

Comment

FWIW, someone from Waianae is from Honolulu... and I'd imagine someone making headlines on the national level would probably be listed as being from Honolulu (or just Hawaii) for simplicity's sake.

I've seen Kim listed as being "from Pahoa," too, in both papers (or was it born in Hilo, lived in Pahoa?). But her "home course" -- where she built her golf chops -- was in Hilo, and she went to Waiakea High, so that works, too. Of course, she then moved to California, and is now a resident of Arizona... so I'll settle for "local girl."

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            FWIW, someone from Waianae is from Honolulu... and I'd imagine someone making headlines on the national level would probably be listed as being from Honolulu (or just Hawaii) for simplicity's sake.

I've seen Kim listed as being "from Pahoa," too, in both papers (or was it born in Hilo, lived in Pahoa?). But her "home course" -- where she built her golf chops -- was in Hilo, and she went to Waiakea High, so that works, too. Of course, she then moved to California, and is now a resident of Arizona... so I'll settle for "local girl."
            I confess to not reading the Tizer's coverage of her today, but Dave Reardon at the Star-Bulletin did refer to Pahoa in his "Press Box" column.
            We Pahoa people gotta represent! But as a writer, I understand the need to keep things not too complicated. This would be too much: "Kimberly Kim, the young female golfer who transferred to Waiakea High School from Pahoa High and Elementary (it's not even called that anymore, I think), who earned her chops playing at Seamount at Punalu'u ...." Only get so many column inches, yeah?
            I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

We Pahoa people gotta represent!
              I thought I might be hearing from you in this thread...

My wife says that while growing up in Pahoa... It was considered a special treat to drive "ALL THE WAY INTO HILO!"

I'm waiting for the Waianae people on HT to say... "Hey... we Waianae... not Honolulu!"

Comment

While consistency would be nice, the point is, Hilo or Pahoa works (I'll bet Hilo and Waiakea High folks are just as proud of her). It's hardly a boo-boo.

Now that she's distinguishing herself on the national stage, all of Hawaii can cheer.

Comment

the point is, Hilo or Pahoa works
                  No... The point is, the paper made no mention of her Home location of Pahoa. They simply state:

The 14-year-old player from Hilo took the advice and beat former bank clerk Katharina Schallenberg of Germany, 1 up, in 36 holes of match play yesterday to become the event's youngest champion.
                  I'm not saying it's a boo boo!

I just think they should mention that she's from Pahoa!

Let me tell you... if she was still residing in Pahoa instead of AZ... then it would be Pahoa having the Parade for her... Not Hilo.

And why she went Waiakea? Pahoa no more Golf Team! I'm assuming!
                  http://www.sportshigh.com/page_serve...E675B27B3.html

I realize that in the advertiser... its written completely by the (AP)

However, in the Bulletin it's
                  From staff and news reports
                  sports@starbulletin.com...The Hilo girl finally seemed to understand the gravity of the situation as she stood over a 5-foot putt to win the U.S. Women's Amateur tournament at Pumpkin Ridge yesterday.
                  And I did have boo boo's listed attributed to both papers in all fairness... I dunno what happened to the post I made regarding the Bulletins Kim coverage

The more frustrating thing is the Big Islands own Tribune Herald had no mention.... It will be interesting to see where they call her home town... since that is one of the Big Islands Paper... If they even mention it all.

But, Yes... all of Hawaii should be proud... of this PAHOA girl...

(Statistically, Pahoa get's the grunt of a lot of stuff written about them... so any time something good comes from there... I like to emphasize it obviously!...What's that joke you tell to students when do your speaking engagements Erika?)
                  Last edited by damontucker; August 14, 2006, 08:42 PM. Reason: personal touch

Comment

I'm sure this will get changed quickly, but as of right now you can go to a Breaking News item on the Advertiser website at this link and see the following:

"Police are responding at this time to a report of a stabbing near the Gold Gate Lounge at 16 N. Hotel St.
                    The suspect was described as being about 6 feet tall, and wearing a T-shit, long pants and a dark baseball cap."

Um... he was wearing a t-WHAT?!?!!!

Gee, that oughta make him easy to find. By sight or by smell.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      I'm not saying it's a boo boo! [...] And I did have boo boo's listed attributed to both papers in all fairness...
                      So are you or are you not saying the omission of Kim's Pahoa link in both papers is a "boo boo" or not? Like I said, both papers have mentioned her Pahoa ties in the past. Perhaps it's not neccessary to list her whole C.V. every time they do an article about her? Perhaps "Hilo" is perfectly fine with the Kims, or may even their preference? Either way, I say it's not a mistake.
                      Statistically, Pahoa get's the grunt of a lot of stuff written about them...
                      You're funny, Manoa. I, personally, wish the stuff written about me had more grunts.
                      Originally posted by LikaNui
                      Heh. I guess that word is in their spell-check dictionary...

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                        I'm sure this will get changed quickly, but as of right now you can go to a Breaking News item on the Advertiser website at this link and see the following:

"Police are responding at this time to a report of a stabbing near the Gold Gate Lounge at 16 N. Hotel St.
                        The suspect was described as being about 6 feet tall, and wearing a T-shit, long pants and a dark baseball cap."

It's still there, four hours after they posted it.
                        Gud thang thay ewesed they're spellcheeker, Ryun!

Comment

It's still there, four hours after they posted it.
                          Maybe it's not a boo boo Just like Pahoa is Hilo

But it's sure is a grunt!

I want a t-shat!

Comment

Maybe it's not a boo boo Just like Pahoa is Hilo
                            If you're not going to drop it, Manoa, just answer the question: Do you still think failing to mention Pahoa in a Kimberly Kim piece, and saying she's a Hilo girl, is a mistake?

Who said Pahoa is Hilo? The Advertiser and Star-Bulletin said Kimberly Kim was from Hilo in recent articles. They've also said she is from Pahoa in earlier articles. I imagine we'll see both mentioned in the future, as well as her Arizona residency. It would be nice for folks with Pahoa pride to see Pahoa mentioned every time Kim is covered, but it's not a mistake to omit it.

You say, in the same message, that omitting Pahoa is not a boo boo, and then that it is. If you're going to complain, be clear.

But congratulations on appropriate apostrophe usage in "it's."

Comment

It's not a boo boo... it's an oversight

Comment

I want a t-shat!
                                I love those recent commercials for the upcoming show roasting William Shatner. They're getting a lot of use out of "Watch the Shat hit the fan!".

Comment

Working...
                                X