This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advertiser boo-boo

Six hours later, the Tiser's Breaking News Boo-Boo is still up. Apparently they don't obsessively monitor this newsgroup.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941
      Six hours later, the Tiser's Breaking News Boo-Boo is still up.
      Ten hours now, and counting.

Apparently they don't obsessively monitor this newsgroup.
      Their loss.
      I wasn't gonna tell 'em, cuz I was curious to see how long it would stay up and also to let other folks find it and get a giggle.
      But if I call 'em, I'm gonna invoice 'em. Billable hours, don'tcha know.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Dang! How did I miss dis today? Gold Gate is my friend's Michelle's place. Lucky, I stopped drinking.

Wat is a T-shit?

Hmmmm...Maybe it's a new style of shirt the Micronesians wear?

Gold Gate patrons are 90% Micronesians.

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

NOW they've fixed it.
          Hey Burl, maybe only their night shift reads HT?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Or maybe employees there not allowed to read HT at all while on duty...thus only catching it once they went home.

Comment

This just in:
              The robber then grabbed the cashier off the counter and walked out of the store with it.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...261379504.html
              Just as long as the money was left behind

Comment

We've been over this before. Breaking News items, by their very nature, will be unpolished and may very frequently contain typos and other errors. It'll probably get revised several times throughout the day, and eventually made right.

If the story makes it into the print edition the next day with the "boo-boo" intact, fire away. Otherwise, give it a rest.

Comment

I was thinking about the breaking news thing you mentioned earlier...

however, this one was just too cute, that I had to make light of it!

I mean heck... the guy grabbed the cashier and ran off with him/her...
                  That's cute...and it could have happened

AND now I'm seeing another boo boo... this time in a breaking story headline
                  Temblors with magnitudes of 4.0, 3.5 hit Big island (Updated at 11:38 a.m.)
                  http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap....dll/frontpage

What's a Temblor?

I know their just typos... but hey... if everyone can jump on me over mine... can't I jump over a Major Publication over thayres (sp)
                  Last edited by damontucker; October 17, 2006, 12:06 PM. Reason: Another Typo found

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                    What's a Temblor?
                    From a thesaurus:
                    Noun 1. temblor (from Spanish):
                    shaking and vibration at the surface of the earth resulting from underground movement along a fault plane or from volcanic activity

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                      From a thesaurus:
                      Noun 1. temblor (from Spanish):
                      shaking and vibration at the surface of the earth resulting from underground movement along a fault plane or from volcanic activity
                      Thanks Leo -

If it was correct... then why did they remove it, because they took it down shortly after I posted what I saw?

Funny huh?

Comment

Thanks Leo -

If it was correct... then why did they remove it, because they took it down shortly after I posted what I saw?

Funny huh?
                        For God's sake, Manoa!

"Temblor" is a word. It is a common, ordinary word that anyone who has ever read a news story about an earthquake is familiar with.

Yes, IT WAS CORRECT. No "if" about it.

Nobody changed anything because they saw your post. Breaking stories and headlines change all the time.

Nobody has ever changed a news story, online or off, because of something you posted to Hawaii Threads. Nor will they, ever. None of those people EVER look at Hawaii Threads when they are working on a breaking story, if ever.

Will you please get over yourself just a little bit?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                          For God's sake, Manoa!

"Temblor" is a word. It is a common, ordinary word that anyone who has ever read a news story about an earthquake is familiar with.

Yes, IT WAS CORRECT. No "if" about it.

Nobody changed anything because they saw your post. Breaking stories and headlines change all the time.

Nobody has ever changed a news story, online or off, because of something you posted to Hawaii Threads. Nor will they, ever. None of those people EVER look at Hawaii Threads when they are working on a breaking story, if ever.

Will you please get over yourself just a little bit?
                          Maddie -

As I first said to Leo... thanks for correcting things on the tremblors definition...

Come on now... I'm not trying to give myself any sort of a pat on the back... but how come for the last 2 -3 weeks everytime I've seen an error in the spelling and never reported about it on HT... it doesn't get corrected.

Today, I was bored.... I post a notice regarding the errors on HT.... it gets corrected or removed etc ASAP.... every time I have posted a "boo boo" it does seem to get corrected...unlike the last month or so when I just watched them fly by....

I could have posted to this boo boo thread a few times in the last few months... however I chose not to.... and most of those boo boo's never got corrected.... Todays first boo boo was cute... regarding the possible heist of a cashier instead of a cash register....So I mentioned it...

Then they went on to use the word Temblors... which isn't even an American word.... something I've never heard about and then asked about it online.... then a few minutes later.... no post is seen regarding it...on the Adver. website..

Gee... coincidence.... I don't think so...

As PZ said... breaking news is breaking news..... no matter to me... sheesh... that's the last thing I could care about.... i just get a kick out of reading mistakes now and then....

Some days I point them out some days I don't.... today, I caught a couple and felt pissy and reported them... dang... amazing how fast they were corrected.... They getting paid to post the news.... I enjoy reading what they put out... I just wish that me.... as the most fricking weeeeeeaaakest speller on HT.... wouldn't get criticized for noticing something that is considered mainstream...Everyone on HT knows I suck at spelling.... however you would expect the Newspapers to at least publish things w/out errors...

I dunno... when I worked as a lay-out editor for a School paper... once the thing went to the presses....there was no "online" changes...etc.

Once it was printed.... we lived or died by our mistakes.
                          On a personal note... Could care less if they read HT or not.... I just post my observations....
                          I would hope that not everyone would agree with them.

Comment

Then they went on to use the word Temblors... which isn't even an American word....
                            WHAT??

And when you did layout for your school paper ...

ROTFL ... Damn! Get me some oxygen!

OK, here's the truth, Manoa, but don't tell anyone 'cause it might create an uproar: The newsrooms of both daily newspapers in Honolulu are set up so that a newsroom-wide alert is sounded anytime you post. This is how we keep on top of spelling errors in news stories, goofs in breaking-news headlines and other gaffes.

(A recent example: "Is 'temblor' a word?" aaaaOOOOOgah! aaaaOOOOOgah! All stations! Alert! Alert!)

We thank you for your service. I probably shouldn't say this too soon, but we are trying to persuade the mayor to give you some kind of civil service award.
                            Last edited by MadAzza; October 18, 2006, 12:34 AM.

Comment

I dunno... when I worked as a lay-out editor for a School paper... once the thing went to the presses....there was no "online" changes...etc.
                              So... are you saying that once something is posted as a breaking news item ONLINE, that no one should fix it if there is a typo?

Printing a paper yes, you live and die by what's printed. But then again, if you've done your job right you'll have more than a few pairs of eyes looking at the copy before it gets printed.

Publishing online? It's a matter of getting something posted ASAP knowing that you can make fixes later.

With the technology that's avail. today, the publishing rules of yesterday are being rewritten every day.

Comment

What I'm saying is that they are a major paper.

Mistakes happen.... no biggie.... I think it's funny that someone with such poor english skills like me would be a person to catch them before someone who get's paid to write for them would.

such as this one I just found:

Berlin spent his summer traveling the globe with Punahou School senior from Honolulu
                                wheres the "THE" after "with"?
                                http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...754613982.html Posted at 7:20 a.m., Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I really don't care whether they make mistakes or not....
                                However, if they want to pick up a p/t proof reader and pay me by the mistakes I catch they can.
                                Last edited by damontucker; October 18, 2006, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X