X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Advertiser boo-boo

Another mildly amusing typo in one of today's Breaking News items:

"A Fire Department rescue crew and city lifeguards are at the Hale'iwa Small Boat Harbor checking on a report of a swimmer or surfer in distress.
    "Rescuers have launched a personal watercraft at the boat harbor and are checking the area in response to unconfirmed reports that someone may help."

Gotta love it. "Unconfirmed reports that someone may help." Don't ya just hate it when there are reports that someone may help?
    Obviously the item should read "that someone may need help."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The Tiser's own history of itself on their website sez:

"Mark Platte is The Adveritser's editor today."
      Burl Burlingame
      "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
      honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        The Tiser's own history of itself on their website sez:

"Mark Platte is The Adveritser's editor today."
        Yep, you're right (of course!). I found it near the end of this link. AdverTIser, AdverITser... I dunno. I kinda like the second one.
        Good catch, Burl. Wonder how long it'll take them to change it.

Comment

Maybe they're going so heavy into video so they don't have to spell.
          Burl Burlingame
          honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Yep, you're right (of course!). I found it near the end of this link. AdverTIser, AdverITser... I dunno. I kinda like the second one.
            Good catch, Burl. Wonder how long it'll take them to change it.
            Well, they've fixed it now. Mildly curious if they saw it here on HT or found it themselves. I'm guessing the former.

Also, a new boo-boo today. In a Breaking News item at this link we find the following:

"Updated at 7:15 a.m., Friday, February 9, 2007

Headline: Small-craft advisory in effect today for most marines

"Combined seas in excess of 10 feet have most marines under a small-craft advisory through this afternoon, the National Weather Service said."

(End of story.)

So not just once but twice we see that "marines" are under a small craft advisory, but apparently not any other military branch or any civilians? Only marines?
            A good chuckle for a Friday morning.

Comment

Making fun of "Breaking News" items is a bit unfair, since the whole point is that they're up there fast, not perfect. Verbatim press releases being my only serious gripe. The goofs, though, are so entertaining!

Here's a sad story of a community pavilion on Kauai burning down. But The Advertiser is apparently focused on a different angle in the case. Reads the caption:
              The Kamalani Pavilion in Wailua, Kaua‘i was destroyed in a fire last night. The pavilion was built by volunteers in Lydgate Park in 2004. The cause of the photo is under investigation.
              It may be premature, but I suspect a photographer.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                Making fun of "Breaking News" items is a bit unfair, since the whole point is that they're up there fast, not perfect.
                Gotta disagree with you on that one. Taking an extra few seconds to ensure accuracy should be mandatory at that level of journalism, especially for a giant like Gannett. Nobody will think less of the paper/writer if a story is a few seconds later, but folks will think better of them if the work is professional and error-free.

The goofs, though, are so entertaining!
                Indeed! Which is why I usually try to write that the mistooks gave me a chuckle, minor though the goofs may be.
                Loved the caption about the photographer, too. Good catch!

Comment

[...]Headline: Small-craft advisory in effect today for most marines

"Combined seas in excess of 10 feet have most marines under a small-craft advisory through this afternoon, the National Weather Service said."[...]
                  A good chuckle for a Friday morning.
                  Altho' my story has nothing to do with online breaking news it does have to do with a headline boo-boo by my little, hometown newpaper decades ago. There was an accident at sea not far off the coastline of the little beach community where I lived in SoCal. Those involved climbed into a rubber life raft awaiting rescue. It made front page headline news in our weekly rag: "...SAVED IN RUBBER LIFE FART"!!! A life raft took on a whole, new meaning that day! My dad and I were literally on the floor laughing. The next morning while in the center of town running errands, we saw an employee of the newspaper racing from stand to stand grabbing all the papers as a means of damage control. That took place during the late 1950s and I still laugh about it to this day!

I'm such a sucker for bloopers of any kind...including my own!

Comment

Journalism ain't writing, it's editing.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

TutuSue, that was priceless! I'll never look at a raft again without giggling. (And of course I'll have to explain why.)
                      In a somewhat similar typo vein... Back in my advertising days, Mitsubishi automobiles were one of our clients, and we were working on a huge brochure for a new model introduction. Huge budget, varnished pages, and a first run of 750,000 copies. We'd tinkered with it numerous times for several weeks and were finally ready to print it. It was around 3am at the printer, and the art director did a couple of extremely last-minute changes in some headlines and subheads, and at the drop-dead last read through, I noticed one headline had changed from mentioning the fuel-inJected engine and now read fuel-inFected engine.
                      Stop the presses!

Comment

So not just once but twice we see that "marines" are under a small craft advisory, but apparently not any other military branch or any civilians? Only marines?
                        The Navy has bigger boats, the Coast Guard runs rescue missions in that stuff so they aren't bothered by it. As for the Army and the Air Force, they don't go there. So yup, just the marines.

Comment

I noticed one headline had changed from mentioning the fuel-inJected engine and now read fuel-inFected engine.
                          Stop the presses!
                          Reminds me of a story I heard. Some place, I think it was in CA was all set to run their children seatbelt campaign. All was set to go when someone re-read the slogan and thought better of it: "Have you belted your kid today?"

As far as Advertiser boo-boos, the worst I saw was many years ago when my high school had a fire. It reported that the Media Center burned. No, it was the Lecture hall. Something must have gotten lost in the translation. But the worst of it was that it said that it was next to the pool. The school doesn't have a pool.

Comment

I have a question.

I clicked on the link of the article Mary Vosino wrote on MWH on July 5, 2006.
                            "Mayor Wright Homes residents feel besieged"
                            http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0345/1190/NEWS

However, I got an "error" message. I did a search on Mayor Wright Homes and Mayor Wright Housing but came up with nothing.

How come?

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Where did you find that link? It appears to have been shortanded from the true link (noticed the ... in the middle). That frequently is done to the displayed portion of the link while the underlying link is kept in tact. If you copy the displayed link, it will be defective.

Also the Advertiser seem to be trying to hide their archives over 2 months old and a way to get revenue. Too bad for them their security sucks.

Here is what you seek.

Comment

I got it when it was posted that day and put it on HT on the odda thread. I also put it on my Blog.

Someone also told me The Advertiser wants to generate money from their "Old News!"

Mahalo Gecko Geek!

Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X