Thread: Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

Sesame Street presents "The Body"
    Starting January 7th through April 2nd.

It's an amazing new educational attraction about the workings of our bodies. The kids are going to love it. I saw the staging and some of the exhibits getting set up. Full Sesame Street "look" and will be featuring Elmo, Oscar, Grover, and the rest of the gang.

Family Sunday is January 8th.

Here's a LINK to the Bishop Museum website.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Thumbs up Re: Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

Family Sunday at the Museum! Jan. 8th from 9 to 5. See ya's

Default Re: Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

My kids really wanted to see the new Sesame Workshop "The Body" exhibit in the Castle building. There was the usual "Member Preview" on Friday, but as ridiculous as it is, these are held in the evening. So it sounded like today's "Family Sunday" was the big day to go.

Of course, we love "Family Sunday," but it means huge crowds, long lines, no parking, and the occasional collsion or scuffle between kids.

We ended up going yesterday. And to our surprise, it wasn't that busy (at first). So our kids got to try every hands-on goodie at "The Body" exhibit without us getting lost in a crush of people. It was definitely a good decision.

But, if you want to see a little of "The Body" exhibit, I posted some cameraphone photos here.

i lament the placing a new building on the great lawn. blocking out the fab view of Honolulu and waiks...
    ah well, to teach more to more people, suppose it justifies it...
    but; the body? arachnoids? dinosaurs?
    wait. Isn't this museum the one that procaims: "Our mission is to record, preserve and tell the stories of Hawaii and the Pacific"

Museums everywhere are facing the same identity crisis, where market forces and public whims force many of them to devote significant resources to "infotainment," hands-on stuff, brand names like Elmo and Disney, etc. If they want to preserve and educate people about a culture, they're also going to have to try to pack them in... and while even I see how the scientist and archaeologist is going to wince at the new "theme park" feel of many museums nationwide, butts in seats (and crowds of kids) is part of the game.

And my kids love this stuff.

Of course, if there's a "real" museum exhibit at Bishop Museum worth a look (the rotating art exhibits in the Watamull Building are often forgotten gems), you can post them here too. But before Kimo helps derail another thread, I'd like to suggest a separate thread if anyone want to debate further the overall mission of Bishop Museum (certainly a hot topic, given other current events).

Thumbs up Re: Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

Howzit Kimo! Yeah I miss the great view of Hawaiian Hall from the freeway too. Oh well. The Science Adventure Center (New building on the Great Lawn) is all about Natural Science of Hawaii. So it is teaching more to more people about Hawaii. The Castle building on the other hand has the temporary exhibits that pass through. Usually nothing to do persay with Hawaii. For the past three months ended on Dec. 18th, the second floor had a photo gallery exhibit called Archipelago. Terra/Flauna/Flora of the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands. Not many people are lucky enough to go there, so I thought that was a pretty good exhibit also. Any way, The Museum does need to bring in the visitors to help support the rest of what the Museum does and the travelling exhibits do just that.