Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

Very true lensperson!
    I was lucky enough to be invited to Polynesian Voyaging Society navigator Ka’iulani Murphy giving a presentation on wayfinding in the Bishop Museum Planetarium and also outside of the Sky Compass. Happened 3/14/2012

Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Re: Tsunami Awereness Day

To mark the 66th anniversary of a tsunami that killed 160 people on the island of Hawai‘i, the Bishop Museum is hosting Tsunami Awareness Day with the generous support of NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and Hawai‘i State Civil Defense.

Learn about the dangers of tsunami and how to prepare for them April 1, 2012.

The museum and all of its galleries will be open and admission will be free.

Lots of learning and interactive activities going on too

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/special/tsunami12.html

Comment

Now on display 3rd floor of Hawaiian Hall. Come and see... it is beautiful.
        In the Hawaiian language nā hi ʻena ʻena means "the red-hot raging fires".
        Her father was Kamehameha I, known as Kamehameha the Great, conqueror of the Hawaiian islands. Her mother was Kalanikauikaʻalaneo Kai Keōpūolani the Queen consort with the most respected family background. She was born in 1815 at Keauhou Bay, South Kona, island of Hawaiʻi. Her two older brothers, hiapo (first born) Liholiho, and Kauikeaouli were to become Kings Kamehameha II and III. This sacred muli loa (last born) child was trained for the immense kuleana (privilege and responsibility) that would accompany someone of such high birth.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C4%81hienaena
        Last edited by Menehune Man; April 1, 2012, 02:29 PM.

Comment

There is finally a Bishop Museum TV commercial!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKyvvytVf7A

Comment

The Bishop Museum has no equal.
            Within are the secrets of many ages past.
            The Mana within is seen everyday
            with the rising and sinkings of the the
            natural tides.

Comment

5th Annual Grow Hawaiian Festival - 4/28/2012

Free admission to residents and military. Event runs 9 to 3 but open till 5pm.

In honor of Earth Day, Hawaiian Electric presents the 5th annual Grow Hawaiian Festival. Bring the entire family to the Bishop Museum and join us in celebration of Hawaii’s native plants and culture. Learn how you can help protect our island environment and contribute to a clean energy future for Hawaii.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                Transit of Venus Festival at Bishop Museum!
                On that day, for the first time since 1874, viewers in Hawai‘i will be able to see the black dot of Venus cross the bright face of the sun.
                This is the last transit of Venus till 2117, so this will be the only chance you will ever have observe this special event!
                Did anyone else see it at the museum or elsewhere's today?
                Great fun! Took this shot through a telescope.

Comment

Mars invaded on August 5

NASA’s Mars Science Laboratory, known as Curiosity, is scheduled to land on Mars at 7:31 p.m. Hawai‘i Standard Time on Sunday August 5. This is the largest and most complex rover we’ve sent to Mars, and arguably the most complex robot ever sent to any other world in the solar system. The rover, roughly the size of an SUV, will be able to take detailed high-definition images of Mars and to microscopically examine the soil. The mission will land in Gale Crater, which is about 5 degrees south of the Martian equator. Learn more on this mission from NASA.

There is a possibility that the Curiosity rover might take and transmit images of its Martian landing site soon after touchdown. Hawai‘i is well placed to take advantage of this landing, since Curiosity touches down fairly early in the evening Hawaii ‘i Standard Time, at 7:31 p.m. on August 5. (For folks on the east coast, by contrast, the landing occurs at 1:31 a.m. on August 6.)

Bishop Museum will present an Invasion of Mars night on Sunday August 5 from 6:30 to 10:00 p.m.
                  We’ll have a webcast of the landing in the event that we do get some early pictures sent back from the red planet. Of course these images are not 100 per cent guaranteed so we’ll surround the landing with other Mars events. We’ll have planetarium programs about the red planet; present a Science on a Sphere program on Mars; show a brief film about the landing of Curiosity; and view Mars and Saturn with telescope (weather permitting) from Bishop Museum’s grounds.

Admission for Invasion of Mars night is free for Bishop Museum members, $10 for adults and $5 for kids 4-12.

The planetarium, observatory and Science Adventure Center will be open that night.

Reservations are required. Please call 847-8203 or reserve online.

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/planetarium/mars2012.html

I won't be there that night due to being in Fiji with my wife, but if you can... the event sounds like a real blast!

Comment

Polynesian Hall is having a major renovation done.
                    After the old carpeting was removed this incredible wooden inlay of Oceania was found. The flooring has been saved and sealed.
                    Still more to go on the hall, but thought I'd share this photo I took.

More photos from today

Comment

Here are interesting things going on in November and December!

NOVEMBER 2012
                      Nov 4 Under a Jarvis Moon - Screening Maui Arts & Cultural Center
                      Nov 8 Traditions of the Pacific:
                      The Statues Walked - Revealing the Real Story of Easter Island
                      Nov 9 Exclusive Member Preview - HI Fashion: The Legacy of Alfred Shaheen
                      Nov 10 HI Fashion: The Legacy of Alfred Shaheen Opening Day
                      Nov 15 Traditions of the Pacific Lecture: Lāna‘i
                      Nov 17 An Evening of HI Fashion
                      Nov 25 Kanikapila - Free Hawaiian Music Jam

DECEMBER 2012
                      Dec 1 Member's Mahalo Day / Winter Arts Market
                      Dec 16 Bernice Pauahi Bishop's Birthday - Free Admission
                      Dec 21 Sky Tonight
                      http://www.bishopmuseum.org/calendar/#dec1

Comment

HI Fashion: The Legacy of Alfred Shaheen tells the story of how a Honolulu-based designer elevated the aloha shirt to the world of high fashion and made aloha wear a clothing trend that is here to stay.

The exhibit will be the largest collection of Shaheen designs ever shown. The extraordinary display of more than 200 pieces, including aloha shirts and the famous Hawaiian Bombshell Dress, represents Shaheen’s work over a 40-year period. The exhibit also features archival photos and ads that recall how his textiles were designed, manufactured and marketed. The collection comes from Shaheen’s daughter, Camille Shaheen, and her husband, William Tunberg, who have been collecting Shaheen's designer wear since the late 90’s as a way to document family history.

An Evening of HI Fashion
                        Join us on November 17 when the Museum will host a fashion show with looks created by and inspired by the unique vision of Alfred Shaheen.
                        Puchase your tickets online

I snuck my wife in yesterday to see and she loved the exhibit!
                        Flickr set

Comment

Xtreme Bugs!

Experience the invasion of Xtreme BUGS at Bishop Museum starting December 8th running through March 31, 2013. http://www.bishopmuseum.org/exhibits/
                          Mine: It is actually pretty cool! There are more than I share here. v
                          Flickr slideshow

Comment

Working...
                          X