Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bishop Museum Events & Exhibits

i heard there was some ancient chamorru artifacts at that museum.. like bones and galaides ... thats not cool
    Ebb And Flow

Comment

Originally posted by newroots
      i heard there was some ancient chamorru artifacts at that museum.. like bones and galaides ... thats not cool
      There's another thread concerning "Artifacts and the Bishop Museum"
      This is not the place for that. Though you may have a valid position.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Saturday May 27th, 2006 11:30am to 2pm

United States Postal Service "Wonders of America" stamp unveiling at the Bishop Museum's Science Adventure Center.

Come and see the 3 stamps with Hawai'i ties: The most active volcanoe - Kilauea, the highest sea cliffs - Moloka'i, and the rainiest spot - Mt. Wai'ale'ale.

Get First Day of Sale stamp Cancellations and see rare stamps from the Museum's collection.

Comment

Took the family to Bishop Museum today. I didn't even know it was Family Sunday (which we usually avoid, because of the crowds), but because we lucked out with parking, we checked it out anyway.

The current visiting exhibit is "Grossology: The Impolite Science of the Human Body." More than you ever wanted to know about burps, farts, zits, boogers... every kids' favorite parts of any kids' movie, packed into a bright, noisy, hands-on adventure!

Also got a gander at the new projection globe at the planetarium. (Can you tell us more about that thing, MM?) And among the exhibitors on the Great Lawn was the Waikiki Aquarium, ImaginAsian TV, and someone selling Bath & Body Works stuff. But Bank of Hawaii was the people's choice, with their free strawberry smoothie/floats.

Comment

Hello All,

From what I've been told by the higher-ups Sunday July 8, 2006 the Museum will be officially free to everyone, because they're shutting down Hawaiian Hall for renovations. That's all hope to see you all there, bummers I have to work.
            A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Na Hulu Ali'i : Royal Feathers

An exhibition of rare Hawaiian featherwork. The largest ever exhibited is being presented at the Bishop Museum , Castle Memorial Building. The exhibition showcases over 40 extraordinary pieces including Liloa's sash, considered to be one of the oldest examples of Hawaiian Featherwork in existence; Nahi'ene'ena's Pa'u, the largest featherwork piece known; the Elgin Kalani'opu'u and Kintore cloaks, and the capes of Princess Pauahi, Queen Emma and Kapi'olani Nui. Other rare pieces include two feathered deities of the nineteen that are known to exist worldwide and two stunning dark brown feathered cloaks from pre-Captain Cook's arrival in Hawai'i.

The exhibition is now open, 9 to 5 daily.

Comment

Took the family to check out the latest visiting exhibit at Bishop Museum's Castle Building: "Brain: The World Inside Your Head." Obviously they meant the typical person's head, because if it was my head, it'd be a pretty empty building. I've posted photos at Flickr.

My favorite display? The fake brain activity meter that had a disclaimer saying it was fake, but you'd have guessed that already since the fancy screen was covered up by a giant Windows 98 clock control panel. Heh.

Comment

Right on Ryan!
                  My favorite is the "Keeping your balance" test. I made it for 12 seconds! Not bad of a personal record. HaHa!
                  Must be my sea legs kicking in.

And BTW Folks...
                  The Halloween event is "on" again Wed. 10/31.
                  Here's a link.
                  http://www.bishopmuseum.org/special/...treet2007.html

I really love the museum. I get tired of having to work all the time (who doesn't?), but it's a Great place to be.

Comment

If you're a fan of indigenous art (come on, who isn't?), don't miss the Mai Ka PIKO Mai exhibition that opened this past weekend and runs until April '08...

http://www.bishopmuseum.org/

From the website:
                    In June of 2007, more than 100 indigenous artists from throughout the world gathered in Waimea, Hawai‘i to individually and collectively create works of art.

Organized by the Keomailani Hanapi Foundation, the gathering resulted in over 130 new artworks.

This exhibition is but a small reflection of these forces: diverse yet unified, physical yet spiritual, an ancient dialogue spoken in the language of today.
                    Toku toa, he toa rangatira ~ He whakatauki
                    My bravery is inherited from the chiefs who were my forebears ~ Maori whakatauki

Comment

The latest traveling exhibit is "Animal Grossology" is open.
                      http://www.bishopmuseum.org/exhibits/onexhibit.html

I love the new "Picture Gallery". The room was set up similar in 1891, went through changes and then recently remodeled back to it's original use and feeling. You may take (non-flash) photos in there!

Check out the photos below. Click on photo to enlarge and read.
                      Of the sign and one of me sans beard. HaHa!
                      Attached Files

Comment

As I said elsewhere, Mom, my sister and I were there Monday. BJ, DeSoto and Betty took us around. It's spectacular. It's got books of photos you can page through when you're done looking at the paintings on the wall and the exhibits in the cases, nice comfy benches, and wonderful interiors.

For those who need help with accessibility, there's even a lift to take wheelchairs down from the elevator level to the Gallery level.
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Here's an article about the rebuilding of the Hale Pili (Grass House) in Hawaiian Hall at the Bishop Museum. I've been watching the whole process and joking around with the people doing it. The original is over 200 years old.

Check out the links to video and photos too!
                          http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...ilAttribute1%%

Comment

Here's a link to an informational site put out by the Bishop Museum.
                            It's called "Hawai'i Alive"
                            http://www.hawaiialive.org/

Comment

Here's a very sad "Event" that has happened at the museum...
                              www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article

"In a startling shake-up yesterday at the Bishop Museum, Timothy E. Johns, president and CEO, said that 6 percent of the institution's staff — 14 positions — had been cut, including management and non-management personnel.

Two of the museum's top executives — its chief financial officer and its general counsel — also tendered their resignations, although it's not known if those departures were related to the layoffs.

Johns, who took over the top job in August, said the staff cuts were made because of the challenging economic climate facing the state and the community. (and more...)"

Comment

Hawaii State Farm Fair @ The Bishop Museum!

Saturday July 26th from 9am till 8pm (today)
                                and Sunday July 27th from 9am till 5pm (tomarrow)

Should be a lot of fun! Come and see if you can.

Comment

Working...
                                X