you know how to cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you know how to cook?

After reading this article about how people pass ready made meals as their own, I like know who can cook?

And I mean someting else instead of rice, eggs, hotdogs, and saimin.

I no can cook if my life depended on it (actually, maybe I can if I get the camping equipment).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: you know how to cook?

small kine stuff. nuff to survive...me makule already!

auntie lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

My issue is not cooking the stuff but rather cleaning it up afterwards.

Comment

I have some favorites I like to make and people like to eat:
        African beef curry
        Chicken picatta
        Chicken with olives and lemons
        Beef Stew
        Grilled boneless leg of lamb
        Grilled steaks, chicken, salmon, shrimp, burgers
        Roast salmon
        Spaghetti sauce with Italian sausage and/or meatballs
        California rolls & guacamole with our avocados
        Italian sausage sauted with rapini and red chili flakes
        Stuffed cabage, stuffed peppers
        Spaghetti Carbonara

Stuff like that. I love the Greek sandwich at Safeway because it's as close as you can get to a good East Coast hoagie as possible.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          I have that same issue. I love cooking and most of the time homemade taste best and is healthiest. Yet lots of time the prepping and clean up wear me out. I usually cook a lot for special occasions but for everyday I tend to cook simply, go to costco and pick up take out.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
            I like know who can cook?
            Not me. Thank goodness my boyfriend can! His specialty is Italian and desserts.

If I can't put it in a microwave oven/toaster oven or have it ready in five minutes, I am not interested in making it. I'll gladly pay others to do it for me.

Comment

I am of the firm belief that if you can read, you can cook. It helps to have something of an adventurous spirit and a little bit of creativity, but even those are really just gravy.

I don't consider myself to be awesome in the kitchen, but I'm confident enough to have cooked for dates, and my friends often call me on the phone for advice on fixing dishes that didn't go quite as planned (somehow, I have a bit of experience with that).

One embarassing problem I have is that I don't know how to select dishes that keep well for potlucks, picnics, and get-togethers, so stuff that's terrific coming out of my oven ends up kinda unimpressive when it's time to eat.

Some of my favorite dishes:
              wine chicken
              hummus
              black bean chili
              beef stew
              pepper steak
              roasted tomato soup
              squash soup

And this isn't exactly cooking, but one of my favorite inventions is kim chee English-muffin pizzas.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                I have some favorites I like to make and people like to eat:
                African beef curry

Do you use ZEBRA or ELEPHANT in that?
                Just kidding ....post the recipe please.

I am a great cook . I have an AS degree in Food Science and that helps.
                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                Flickr

Comment

I know how to cook! Not gourmet style but fast and tasty! I refuse to cook for one, tho', so tend to cook 'in bulk', loading up the freezers at home and in the office. Yikes...I have to get back to work but 3 of my faves are:

Breakfast brownie
                  Crustless quiche...it's not a quiche but I don't know what else to call it!
                  Turkey soup

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                    I'm the opposite. I had two older sisters, so they learned how to cook and I learned how to clean up.
                    My deal with girlfriends has always been that they cook and I'll do all the cleanup. It always seemed to be a very popular deal.

When asked if I can cook, my usual answer is "No, I don't even know how long to boil my corn flakes in the morning."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear

There's a great Ethiopian beef stew called sik sik wat that I've made (a cousin to the more familiar doro wat, which is made with chicken) . There's a Gambian beef stew called shoko. There's also a beef stew from Senegal that's made with peanut butter called Mafe.

I've sampled both the siksik wat and mafe because at one time I was working for a world relief organization and we had projects in Ethiopia and Senegal. I like a lot of Ethiopian ethnic foods.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Boiled Corned Flakes.. he he. Yeah.. I "cook" a mean Cup-o-Noodle too.

I agree about what was said earlier - if you can read, you can cook.

Understanding the basics of culinary arts & food science is also a plus. Mother sauces, cutting and food prep. Proper cooking temperatures and storage. That kinda' stuff.

Also, if you watch the Food Network often enough, that just may help too. It certainly has for me.

Cooking can be a fun and creative process once you have the basics down.

Now ask me to bake? No way. That's a science I prefer not to learn. I'm not one for pastries and desserts anyway. Need bread? IMO it's more practical to choose from a variety that are readily available at the supermarket deli.
                        Last edited by Pomai; January 12, 2006, 11:25 AM.
                        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                          I am of the firm belief that if you can read, you can cook.
                          sort of agree. it does take some understanding of chemistry whether its naturally learned or from school or from tutu tutelage.

practicing and experimenting helps for some people. for others, its just repeated opportunities for calling on emergency personnel to tour your home.

i knew how to cook since i was a keiki but i learned a lot more over the years. only recently, i would consider my grub as food that would not embarass me. well at least as not much. i understand more about how heating this and mixing that will taste later.

i am reading a lot more cookbooks now. it helps to get more ideas. some of those dummies recipe books can be pretty plain or borderline bad though.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear

Darlin' it's BEEF. Here's the recipe. It's from Sunset Magazine. I'm not proud. I see something that's worth trying my hand at and I do it. This recipe has incredible wow factor. And not only that, leftovers are incredible. Meld factor.

South African Beef Curry

When Nancy Sephton lived in South Africa in the '50s, lamb curry was as ubiquitous there as hamburgers and hot dogs are in the United States. On a return visit a number of years later, she came across the curry made with beef, which has become a favorite with her family.

3 pounds boned, fat-trimmed beef chuck
                            2 onions (1 lb. total), peeled and chopped
                            1/4 cup curry powder
                            2 tablespoons mustard seed
                            1 tablespoon minced garlic
                            1 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
                            2 cups fat-skimmed beef broth
                            1 1/4 pounds Roma tomatoes, rinsed, cored, and chopped
                            2 tablespoons minced fresh jalapeño chilies
                            2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
                            1 firm-ripe banana (about 5 oz.), peeled and thinly sliced
                            About 1/2 cup mango chutney
                            About 1/3 cup sweetened shredded dried coconut
                            Cucumber yogurt sauce
                            About 6 cups hot cooked rice
                            Salt

1. Rinse beef, pat dry, and cut into 1-inch chunks. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine beef, onions, and 1 cup water. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Uncover, turn heat to high, and stir often until liquid evaporates and meat and onions are lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Spoon out and discard any fat.
                            2. Add to pan the curry powder, mustard seed, garlic, and turmeric; stir until spices are more fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, tomatoes, chilies, and ginger; stir to free browned bits. Return to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until meat is very tender when pierced, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

3. Put banana, chutney, coconut, and cucumber yogurt sauce each in separate small bowls.

4. Ladle beef curry over rice on plates. Add banana, chutney, coconut, cucumber yogurt sauce, and salt to taste.

Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
                            CALORIES 559(26% from fat); FAT 16g (sat 5.8g); PROTEIN 40g; CHOLESTEROL 111mg; SODIUM 337mg; FIBER 4g; CARBOHYDRATE 63g

Nancy Sephton, Kensington, California
                            Sunset, FEBRUARY 2001
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Thanks ....sounds yummy. I like the fact that it has a exotic blend of flavors.
                              I'll give it a try
                              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                              Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X