Thoughts on plagiarism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on plagiarism?

Got this from a link from ilind.net. . .

Tim Ryan, a reporter with the Honolulu Star-Bulletin, has been revealed as a plagiarist by "sleuthing" editors at Wikipedia, the online encyclopedia. The Honolulu Reporter, an online publication, has also stepped in to make further accusations involving other sources.
    Tied up in this is the Reporter's displeasure at a recent Star-Bulletin ad campaign that says readers can only get the "truth" from the Star-Bulletin.

Seems that Ryan was fortunate with a month suspension.

Re: Thoughts on plagiarism?

Isn't Tim Ryan the entertainment guy who writes about three times more stories than anyone else and who constantly scoops the competition?

Comment

Originally posted by wikiwiki
      The Honolulu Reporter, an online publication, has also stepped in to make further accusations...
      woah. what da heck's that?!
      can ya give us a link to the Honolulu Reporter?!

can't seem to locate it.
      wait.
      ya mean "the Honolulu Court Reporter"?

Comment

personally, I am highly entertained by Mr. Ryan's work and impressed he can deliver with such a work load. Why not allow him to have his say in his column and we let him get back to work and do what he does best?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          woah. what da heck's that?!
          It's actually www.hawaiireporter.com

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            can't seem to locate it.
            wait.
            ya mean "the Honolulu Court Reporter"?
            Nah, they meant the Hawaii Reporter... http://www.hawaiireporter.com/ .

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

here's the thing: even this site:

http://www.regrettheerror.com/2006/0...rism_accu.html
              refers to the mythical nonfactual error "The Honolulu Reporter"
              (until I pointed it out and the dude sez; "well of course, i meant..." and changed it)

and further states; others in this big mess (that needn't
              be), have gotten many other things wrong, also.

let he who is without sin.. etc...

fer eg; Malia quizically refers to Wikipedia.org as a "community newspaper on the Internet."
              hmmmm.

now I like Zimmerman's hell raising as much as the next rebel rouser, but, wow laulau.... I mean c'mon, hold something back. no need shoot da bruddah fulla holes!

See; Ryan was conveying basic well known facts re; Aloha Airlines midair accident.

To my mind it is nowhere near a sin as if knowledge that only one other individual could know, would be passed off as his own.
              for eg;
              I had a very volumnous Hawaii 5-0 web site years ago.
              I put up lil tidbits of information that I learned and other things I came to the conclusion of, based on my direct on location experiences. I would often cut school to watch them film different eps of Hawaii 5-0.
              Some of these facts known only to me... and even my own conjectures... then ended up on other's Hawaii 5-0 fan sites and they were conveyed as their own. With no attribution to my site. Now, THAT would burn someone's ass.
              Last edited by kimo55; January 11, 2006, 12:15 PM.

Comment

If someone were ti heist any of my work, I too would be hacked. . . Perhaps the fact that Ryan is an entertainment writer is the reason for the suspension, rather than firing, like other papers have done with news reporters.

Comment

could be, could be...

Comment

After further reading some of the stories the Reporter used as an example, it seems pretty clear that Ryan was doing more than lifting facts. Some of the stuff is verbatim.

Comment

for shame, for shame...how can a professional journalist not know that anything even remotely resembling plagiarism will get picked up by zealous media watchdogs? puzzling!
                      Don't be mean,
                      try to help.

Comment

Two lessons here:

* Don't cut and paste ANYTHING, even facts. The Internet has made it too easy to do so. But it has also made it way easy to catch textcribbers.

* No matter what you do, no matter how benign, there are little trolls like Malia Zimmerman out there in the darkness, sharpening their knives and eyeing your back.

Comment

Originally posted by wikiwiki
                          After further reading some of the stories the Reporter used as an example, it seems pretty clear that Ryan was doing more than lifting facts. Some of the stuff is verbatim.
                          Why, Mr. Daysog, how nice of you to step in. As opposed to stepping in it, as you usually do.

The Hawaii Reporter ... now, there's a *fine* example of "journalism." Speaking of spreading vicious, baseless rumors. Oh, we weren't? Never mind.
                          Last edited by MadAzza; January 11, 2006, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Sorry to say, Tim Ryan should've been fired.

Entertainment reporters the same responsibility as news reporters to not lift things directly or even use sentences in the same structure from a published source.

I too have thought that Tim has done great work over the years, but this plagiarism is often an indication of burnout or depression.

I am not here to say bad things about Tim. I am more in tune with Ian Lind's thoughts in that I am saddened.

Comment

Yipe. Here's the Wikipedia article, and here's a side-by-side comparison of various alleged incidents of plagiarism. I agree that the NPR citation is the most damning.

Comment

Working...
                              X