Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on plagiarism?

Good point. . . however. . .

What I think we here in Hawaii are actually more guilty of... Is being a Media illiterate society and relying too much on the written word for information.

"Whilst, methinks, us folks laying about in hawaii, are actually more guilty of. . . . is being a media (M) illiterate sociiety and relying (TOO) too much on the written word for information. . .

Comment

Sounds like Ryan was originally suspended for the unattributed facts — he didn't make things up — but the highly public outing gave the newspaper no choice. A newspaper's credibility is everything. The paper acted quickly and responsibly, seems like.

Comment

Unless I missed something, it seems that the Advertiser took the high road and did not use this situation as a chance to slap down their competitors at the Star-Bulletin. No mention of it at all in the Advertiser, that I'm aware of. Good for them.
        (applause)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

No the Advertiser just had one of their own leak it to Hawaii Reporter

Comment

Originally posted by FreaknHaole
            No the Advertiser just had one of their own leak it to Hawaii Reporter
            I'm curious -- are you guessing, or are you claiming that as a fact?

Comment

This person was also calling up legislators past and present and dishing Wikipedia's beef on Ryan. That's how I found out.

Comment

We did not leak anything. I suggested to Mark Platte that he run the story and argued that it was "news". He thanked me for my opinion, sent me back to advertising to sell some more ads and took the high road.

Comment

no offense Jeff, but who are you again?

it's actually more confusing when people identify themselves...

Comment

Originally posted by sin
                    no offense Jeff, but who are you again? it's actually more confusing when people identify themselves...
                    Jeff is the Advertiser's "Senior Vice-President of Advertising & Marketing".
                    And I'm curious -- Why do you say it's "more confusing when people identify themselves"?

Comment

This article is not about the Ryan situation but about plagiarism as it relates to a journalist friend of the writer (retired journalist) who was fired for plagiarism. He also writes about the reality of deadlines, background, attribution, etc. David Simon for the Baltimore City Paper Online

Edited for accuracy!
                      Last edited by glossyp; January 19, 2006, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Green
                        We did not leak anything. I suggested to Mark Platte that he run the story and argued that it was "news". He thanked me for my opinion, sent me back to advertising to sell some more ads and took the high road.
                        Easier to take the high road, I guess, when staffers work the phones getting the gossip out. And it WAS news. Not big news, but something.

Comment

First, Wikipedia is not a reliable source. It is not on "online encyclopedia" as it claims itself to be. Anyone can change information in any Wikipedia listing. I'm surprised Ryan used it at all actually and for all we know, the text in the Wikipedia block could have been changed AFTER Ryan's article. Unfortunately - there's no obvious disclaimer on Wikipedia that the information could have been altered by any of the millions of people who use the site. As for their editors - they need to do a better job of keeping the site's information accuate before they go jumping on anyone for using the information posted on the site. Plagerism is bad - no doubt. But plagerism constists of stealing someone else's words and ideas. Taking facts is not plagerism. He should have sited it for his own protection - since Wikipedi is an unreliable source and often provides inaccuate information - but if he's simply using FACTS collected by a ligitimate encyclopedia - he doesn't have to site it. If he's stealing someone's idea - that's different story. Tim Ryan's a great writer and writing an entertainment column isn't easy. Also, a longtime Baltimore Sun columnist was fired this month for plagerism. He fought the charges saying he takes notes when researching - and when he'd go back to write - he didn't know the notes were written verbatum. I can relate. We take notes and write our stories from those notes. Of course plagerism isn't acceptable, but you don't have to castrate the man for accusations of it - especially when those accusations come from Wikipedia. PS, if you have kids doing research papers, make sure they don't use it as a source. It shouldn't even be on the Web as far as I'm concerned. That is the injustice.

Comment

Are you guys sleeping? How can you defend a guy like Tim Ryan, free tickets to all events, free wine and dining at film and tv events, invites to production parties and one of the only writers in town with this kind of access and what's he do?
                            He has to lift someone else's writing and you want to excuse him because he's done some good work in the past? This is what's wrong with this society in the U.S.
                            Very messed up.

Comment

Hey Melisa,
                              If you think Tim Ryan is a "great writer", no wonder.
                              "Plagiarism" is not spelled "plagerism".

and "writing an entertainment column isn't easy" -- for godsakes
                              it ain't brain surgery, especially here in the islands.
                              We're not talking too much entertainment news going on here
                              except to report yet another young dumb tv "actress" got busted for
                              a DUI or maybe Chuck Boller raised another batch of asian money
                              in exchange for front row seats at a Louis Vuitton fashion show
                              for a bunch of old guys and their illiterate wives.

There is no excuse for stealing someone else's art.
                              Like the guy who wrote A Million Little Pieces. He's saying it's not that
                              bad. I'm not that bad. Critics are only citing 18 pages of ...so many more.
                              Paleeze.

Comment

Kahalabrah, Sindahrella808, meet Candyglass.

Comment

Working...
                                X