Ultimate Fighting & MMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate Fighting & MMA

I can't get enough of Ultimate Fighting.... I haven't ever paid for a ticket or pay per view... however, I think all of us guys are just loving this insurgence of Ultimate Fighting.

Has anyone noticed how much coverage Spike TV has been giving time to Ultimate fighting?

Today, they mentioned B.J. Penn out of Hilo.

Also out of Hilo, Cabbage will be Fighting Butterbean in the next Rumble on the Rock.

This new fad sure beats the scripted "Pro" Wrestling that has been around for sometime.

And less yet... the sportsmanship between two people that have just beat the crap out of eachother just amazes me...

Anyother thoughts on Ultimate Fighting?

Some say it's violent... I say it's controlled and less violent than boxing.... I must say why for that matter.... An opponent is allowed to tap out...and that is not a disgrace... however in boxing...if an opponent were to quit..it would be a disgrace...therefore they continue to fight eachother until they have brain damage...Well at least in the long run....

A standing 8 count allows a Boxer to retain his thoughts and stand up again so that his brain will be pummeled again... up to 3 times in one round less yet... compare that to Ultimate fighting....

One Knockdown/Knockout/tap-out/etc...the ref steps in and the match is over.... much more technical and less luck with the lucky swing in my oppinion also.

Thoughts???

Re: Ultimate Fighting

yeah.. mixed martial arts is really fun. its sports at its rawest. on guam.... it got pretty big over the years. but , of course , its not on the same level as hawai'i.. guam has yet to produce a fighter to enter ufc or any other thing like that.. theres local mma tournaments like , pacific xtreme combat , and fury. its pretty cool. cabbage corriera fought manny chong. cabbage beat him by referee stoppage.
    Ebb And Flow

Comment

Next Hawaii TV star??? UFC's Kendall Grove from Maui

Just noticed another local boy on Television

Kendall Grove is a competitor on the next UFC reality show.

Anyone got any scoops on him...

and please use the spoiler tags.

Comment

Re: Next Hawaii TV star??? UFC's Kendall Grove from Maui

Interesting quote from a Haole boy on the show...

"Kendall is a crazy kid from Hawaii"

Comment

Kendall had a fight and represented Hawaii well by beating a fighter from the UK. Kendall was pretty impressive. I was surprised not at his win, but at how smart he fought. His opponent didn't know how to take kendall down. I think the UK fighter thought that Kendall would be scared out of his boots once he started punching and kicking. But much to his disappointment, it didn't affect Kendall at all.

Nice Win!!
          I usually follow the crowd .... except, when they're going the WRONG WAY!

Comment

Kendall just won a fight against a guy from british columbia because he broke his ribs.i think that he is called spider for a reason and he really proved it thursday night during the fight.i also think that he is going to be hawaiis next star there is no way that anyone can beat his reach its 7.5''8 thats crazy.in the finals i think it is going to be him and ed.eds a crazy guy from britian.and kendall is the crazy hawaiian....so that will be very interesting....
            Either your mentally tough or, mentally weak, which one are you? i know what i am..........

Comment

I agree. Kendall has a long reach and I'm cheering him on this saturday. Ed Herman is a pure grappler. He doesn't have much in the stand up game. I think that's where Kendall needs to focus. Kendall has a decent stand up game to keep out of reach of his takedown attempts. I think Kendall also hits hard, not hard for a knock out, but hard enough that Ross and Kalib didn't want to strike with him long.

I say lots of Kicks, Knees, Jabs and uppercuts will win this one for Kendall. If Ed gets on the ground, Kendall still has a decent ground game to stay alive. Go Kendall!!
              I usually follow the crowd .... except, when they're going the WRONG WAY!

Comment

Kendall Grove!

Congratulations to local boy Kendall Grove!

The Maui fighter just scored himself a 6-figure contract with the UFC, and the title of Ultimate Fighter. Kendall got the decision after 3 action-packed rounds in Las Vegas tonight.

Way to represent the Aloha State and the Valley Isle!

Plus, if you were following the show this season, Falaniko Vitale and Wesley "Cabbage" Correira got plenty of screen-time as well. Their huge posters were on the walls of the UFC training facility and were hard to miss.

Exciting fight, too. If you missed it, look for a replay if possible.

Comment

Re: Kendall Grove!

I don't like Boxing or any Contact Sport! I have my reasons.

Many amateur and professional fighters past, present and future are only a punch away from death or major disability due to brain injury. Also, the contionous blows to the head makes them a primary candidate to brain diseases.

"The American Association of Neurological Surgeons say that 90% of boxers sustain a brain injury."

"Being hit on the head can cause fractures to the bone of the head and face and tissue damage in the brain. A blow can damage the surface of the brain, tear nerve networks, cause lesions, bleeding and sometimes produce large clots within the brain." http://menshealth.about.com/od/fitness/a/boxing.htm

From http://www.parkinson.org/site/pp.asp...JLPwB&b=164717

Boxing and The Brain

"In his article Dr. Ira Casson a prominent New York neurologist and an expert on boxing discusses boxing and Parkinson disease. There's been much interest in this because of Muhammad Ali. The following can be said: It's uncertain if there's a relationship between Ali's Parkinson and boxing. Boxing when it causes brain damage results in an Alzheimer like disease This is not what Ali has. Ali's mind is sharp. It's rare for boxing to result in only Parkinson disease. And most boxers do not develop Alzheimer or Parkinson. George Foreman is on television doing a fine job selling his grill. And he fought longer and took more blows than Ali."

Nope. No congratulations from me tonight or any other night to any Boxer from Hawai'i or anywhere else in the World.

Auntie Lynn
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; June 25, 2006, 12:05 AM. Reason: Clarification for Manoa!
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

shouldn't this have been merged with my first post before he won???

Didn't Manoa call it before tonight?
                    Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    I don't like Boxing. I have my reasons.
                    Auntie... ufc is not Boxing...it's Mixed Martial Arts...

And the referee attempts to step in most of the time before brain damage can be inflicted....fyi

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                      Auntie... ufc is not Boxing...it's Mixed Martial Arts...

And the referee attempts to step in most of the time before brain damage can be inflicted....fyi
                      Manoa, the last I heard...Mixed Martial Arts is a Contact Sport! Making it the worse of the it's kind.

Most of the time? Plzzzzzzzzz.

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Attaboy, Kendall! Loved seeing all the Hawaiian flags in his corner and in the crowd. The match was close, but I think the decision was right.
                        The whole night was good. But now... waiting for July 8! If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Tito Ortiz and Tim Silva. Whatcha think?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

"Da Spider" representing!!!!! Well done. Another redhead from Team Quest forced to reevaluate his game. I like Kendall's humility and the respect he showed after the fight. It looks like he is going be Tito's protege'. He has a playful side but he also has a deadly serious side. Nice balance.

Auntie, they use 4 oz. gloves which at first seems barbaric but the damage is seen immediately (acutely) and not allowed to pile up which some say can be correlated to Parkinson's disease.

Paul, where is BJ's picture? LOL
                          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Manoa, the last I heard...Mixed Martial Arts is a Contact Sport! Making it the worse of the it's kind.

Most of the time? Plzzzzzzzzz.

Auntie Lynn
                            and knocking people out in Chinatown when they when irk you is any better?

j/k

Comment

Manoa, the last I heard...Mixed Martial Arts is a Contact Sport! Making it the worse of the it's kind. [...]
                              Auntie...this is a testosterone laden thread. The guys love this stuff! <heeeyaaa...thump...whack!> Maybe LeiKaina can start a new thread about her birth experience <hehewho...hehewho> and post some baby photos <ho, da cute!>...for the estrogen-laden crowd!

Comment

Working...
                              X