Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kendall Grove!

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    and knocking people out in Chinatown when they when irk you is any better?

j/k
    Das a completely different situation. I knock out people as a Community Service! It doesn't go ten rounds either.

Further more...I've have yet to be knocked out - by someone myself! The streets and ring are apples and oranges. One you get paid. The other you don't.

For amateurs in both divisions it is a great risk. Like I always say, "I might be pUpUle but I not DUMB!"

No sense in explaining why I dislike Boxing or any contact sport. It was already done in another thread.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
      Auntie...this is a testosterone laden thread. The guys love this stuff! <heeeyaaa...thump...whack!> Maybe LeiKaina can start a new thread about her birth experience <hehewho...hehewho> and post some baby photos <ho, da cute!>...for the estrogen-laden crowd!
      oK. oK. I leave it alone.

It just makes me angry and brings back too much memories. As you are aware...my late husband was a Former Boxing Champ. He died of Lou Gerigh's Disease at the age of forty-seven.

I miss him so much.

Auntie Lynn

P.S. My apologies guys. Carry on.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/dance045.jpg
      Bantam Weight Championship Belt of The Philippines 1974

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/dance059.jpg
      Super Bantam Weight Championship Trophy of California! Santa Nino was given to us by Laura Elorde, Widow of Flash Elorde, World Champion ~ upon our visit to the Philippines with our children.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/dance062.jpg
      Promotional Poster For Blaisdell Arena - Main Event "Vasquez vs Hong"

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...e/dance060.jpg
      Boy Vasquez

Christy-Lynn being held up. Me and Boy on our 13th Wedding Anniversary Celebration in Tagum Davao del Norte, Philippines. We were married 20 years. We would have made 30 years September 13, 2006.
      Last edited by 1stwahine; June 25, 2006, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        [...]We were married 20 years. We would have made 30 years September 13, 2006.
        Great photos, Auntie. Thanks for sharing. I did realize you had a vested interest in this thread. I grew up with my dad watching Monday night boxing every week...he was a huge boxing fan. I had to give up 'I Love Lucy' in our one TV household! The 2 shows were on simultaneously. I've never understood boxing, super brawls, etc. Way too much physical destruction goes on. Just look at Mohammad Ali. But, still, the guys love it so no harm in them discussing it.

BTW...my anniversary was also Sept. 13!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          BTW...my anniversary was also Sept. 13!
          I knew there was something about you. It was ment the Tapa be given to you. It was a gift to my late husband and I.

Auntie Lynn
          Last edited by 1stwahine; June 25, 2006, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Auntie;

I understand now. No more MMA posts from me.
            You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
              Auntie;

I understand now. No more MMA posts from me.
              Nachodaddy, Like Tutusue said, "this is a testosterone laden thread." It is I, who is apologizing to you and the other gentlemen. My husband loved the sport as you all do.

Please carry on.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

We all choose our own paths to make a living or to make life better.

Congradulations to 'Da Spyder' from Maui, Kendall Grove!! I was cheering him on. He should go far with Team Punishment. But, he needs to learn to use his size and his reach. Kendall's good on the ground, but going against someone who is just as good, and with no stand up, he could have had a more decisive victory.

But it's a good win.
                I usually follow the crowd .... except, when they're going the WRONG WAY!

Comment

Re: Ultimate Fighting

I stay on the mainland (Utah Specifically) and I was interested (spectator only) in mixed martial arts ever since I saw this skinny dude (Royce Gracie) take down Kimo. Little did I know that the skinny dude would start a trend of Ground fighting like Bruce Lee did with his Intercepting Fist.

As to the morality of hand to hand combat, well, it's a choice that these fighters make and a lifestyle that they have accepted, risks and all. Fist and Kick fighting is very damaging, that's a fact. But, what also changes mixed martial arts is the submission fighting; which in my opinion is not nearly as damaging as a boxing contest (as mentioned in the previous post). The safety and health of the fighters in mixed martial arts falls on the Referee. Big John McCarthy, referee of the UFC, actually commented that in the early days of the UFC, he wished that he could stop fights to prevent long term or permanent injury to some of the fighters (http://www.knucklepit.com/mixed-mart..._mccarthy.htm). Now in Pride and UFC Mixed Martial Arts fighting the referees do stop the fight once the fighters are KO'd or doing the 'chicken dance.' Which I think is better then the REF counting to 10 and giving the boxer an opportunity to continue fighting. Once the dude is KO'd or dazed, the REF stops the fight to prevent further injury. That's what I like about MMA. I know fighters possess a 'no surrender' attitude, but there's always a next time to get that guy back. Anyways, that's my thoughts on the issue. So MMA to me is way safer (I know, this could be argued) than boxing.

Now thoughts about MMA from a spectator view point. Every day I go to work, exercise, spend time with the wife and kids. Watching MMA (especially UFC) gives me an escape from myself and to enjoy 2 trained 'gladiators' of our day. I could never do that kind of stuff, but I like to watch it and I have get enjoyment from watching. Watching MMA also motivates me to stay on my diet program and exercise, since I have a tendency to overeat (thanks kanak attack -- nah, jus joke). In fact, MMA actually got me started on exercise and dieting. I lost 30 pounds in 2 to 3 months and am very pleased with the results. So, it's definitely an escape for me and a motivating factor for my life. When it’s over, I go back to my mild mannered self.

Well, that's my thoughts. Thanks Manoa for the oppportunity to wala'au. What do u think about what I posted here? I'll be interested to hear your views.

Comment

Re: Ultimate Fighting

Originally posted by kealiinaauao
                    ...I was interested (spectator only) in mixed martial arts ever since I saw this skinny dude (Royce Gracie) take down Kimo. Little did I know that the skinny dude would start a trend of Ground fighting like Bruce Lee did with his Intercepting Fist.
                    Man, that was something. Felt bad for Kimo that day but it wasn't just Kimo that Gracie neutralized in those early UFC's. Nobody could handle him.
                    “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                    http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Re: Kendall Grove &amp; Ultimate Fighting

I'm still curious who you guys are picking for July 8.
                      I say Tito will beat Ken Shamrock and Tim Silva will beat Arlovsky.
                      Whatcha think?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

With the training regimes shown on the last UFC...

I would have to say TITO will hurt Shamrock... Especially with the
                        so called hatred between them.

I've also got Silva beating Arlovsky

Comment

Tito cuz Shamrock really wanted the yellow car.

Arlovsky cuz he won't make the same mistakes twice.

Jens Pulver is back, who wants a rematch between him and BJ at 155? 170 I say BJ. 155, this would be a heck of a fight. I heard Jens is doing a lot of work in Hawaii as well, GF is from Kauai.
                          You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Tito is gonna put the hurt on Shamrock. Tito just has more skills, longer reach, strong stand-up, and has great ground skills. Shamrock has good leg locks and some what of a good stand up , but he can't keep up with Tito. Shamrock was good back in the old days, but his time is definitely over. In the last 5 fights that Shamrock had, he lost all of them except one. I don't even know why they put Shamrock in the UFC Hall of Fame. In my opinion, I think it was more of a pity recognition.

Now the induction of Randy Couture was definitely well deserved. He's had some major accomplishments and defeated several big name dudes. So it's natural that "The Natural" get's inducted, definitely a Hall of Famer competitor.

As for Arlovski and Silvia, I definitely think Arlovski is going to win this fight . I think Arlovski learned from his last fight to be patient and not to just go charging in blind. What I think we’ll see is a huge overhand right that knocked out Silvia the last 2 fights and then we’ll probably see Arlovski either apply another leg lock, or let Silvia Stand up again so Arlovski can hit him again with that same right. The last fight, I think Arlovski helped Silvia knock him out. If you watch the fight, Arlovski went into Silvia’s right hand. More than anything Arlovski got to overanxious when he knocked Silvia out.

As for Team Dagger, I think Kendall’s the only one holding up his end . ‘nuff said.

Comment

the husband and I love watching the UFC fights. I can't handle watching the first two rounds though, because I just wanna see who wins! I was cheering like mad when Kendall won on saturday. came to work and announced it in sales meeting!

BTW, I'll take Ortiz for the win anytime. Shamrock's a wuss in my opinion. I just wanna see Ortiz shut him up so I don't have to hear Herman saying, "he didn't pick me" anymore.

Comment

kendall Grove is the HAWAIIAN CHAMP

wow did you see the ultimate fighting finale between ed herman and kendall grove?omg it was crazyness..kendall ws in atleast to arm bar submissions...and got out of them..hes hawaiian and hes strong...but what kinda ticked me off was that kendall won to a split decision but dana white gave a ed a contract to.kendall was not happy...but we gotta give it up to our fellow hawaiian...KENDALL GROVE
                                Either your mentally tough or, mentally weak, which one are you? i know what i am..........

Comment

Working...
                                X