• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kendall Grove & Ultimate Fighting

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
    only Lika and myself guessed right on these two fights
    Great! What do we win?
    I picked Royce Gracie to lose UFC 60, too, so I earn extra prizes.
    And by the way, did anyone else notice our Maui boy Kendall Grove in Tito's corner last night?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kealiinaauao
      Yah, I caught that one, good fight.

But then BJ lost to St. Pierre in USA vs Canada. I was wondering like what he was doing this year.

Also, I was just thinking... it's all Ken's fault for not defending those elbows.
      Title: BJ Penn Seminar
      Description: BJ Penn Seminar will be held on July 8, 2006 in Eugene, Oregon... More information on this will be posted soon.

Is this recent enough?

www.bjpenn.com

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
        Title: BJ Penn Seminar
        Description: BJ Penn Seminar will be held on July 8, 2006 in Eugene, Oregon... More information on this will be posted soon.

Is this recent enough?

www.bjpenn.com
        PERFECT!! THANK YOU!!! and, thanks for the URL, I have it bookmarked now.

Originally posted by LikaNui
        Title: Re: Kendall Grove & Ultimate Fighting
        Overall, pretty darned boring night.
        I think Herb Dean stopped Ortiz-Shamrock too early. Maybe not by much, but still. I don't think John McCarthy would've stopped it so fast.
        And I think we can certainly expect to see Ortiz-Shamrock III, probably before the year is out.
        I agree, I think John Mccarthy would have waited before stopping the fight. But it's not Herb Dean's fault, if you watch the playback, Ken isn't defending himself. Tito had 5 unanswered shots and Ken didn't look like he was defending at all. Even if Herb Dean let Tito hit him 3 or 4 more times, Ken still wouldn't have done anything.

So I blame Shamrock for the short lived fight. If he wanted the fight to continue, BLOCK TITO'S ELBOWS!!
        I usually follow the crowd .... except, when they're going the WRONG WAY!

Comment

Does anyone know where in Maui Kendall is from?

Comment

Originally posted by pttymcgee
            Does anyone know where in Maui Kendall is from?
            Kendall hails from Wailuku, Maui.

Comment

Two UFC articles in today's Seattle Post-Intelligencer (first one is a profile of Chris Leben, from this area) -
              http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/others...2_leben27.html
              http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/others...963_ufc27.html

Comment

Penn versus Hughes

Reported last week in the normal channels. Did not make it here so I am posting it.

Georges St. Pierre's "Rush" to recovery from a severe groin pull will not happen fast enough to rematch UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes on September 23, the UFC announced on its Web site Wednesday afternoon.

Filling the vacated slot to face Hughes is the only man to beat the champion mixed martial artist since March 2001: Hawaii's B.J. Penn

Now, before everyone starts hugging on BJ's privates, if he goes into this match like he did with GSP, he will lose, again. BJ needs to adopt a sense of urgency and attack better on the ground or Hughes will overpower him. Hughe's standup is suspect, what he does on the ground is not.

Right here, right now, Hughes has the belt, regardless of what has transpired in the past. BJ has to demonstrate, without a doubt, enough action to take it away from Hughes. Total beatdown or submission from BJ. I don't think BJ can knock Hughes out.

Thoughts?????
                You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

*runs to hug on BJ's private parts* , Gotta go wit da loco boy on dis one . I'm hoping there was a lesson learned from the GSP bout and that the pychological factor of losing plays on Hughes mind just enough for the "prodigy" to re-apply the rear naked choke .

Comment

Hate to say this... but I think Hughes will take Big Island bad boy BJ Penn out.

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy
                      *runs to hug on BJ's private parts* , Gotta go wit da loco boy on dis one . I'm hoping there was a lesson learned from the GSP bout and that the pychological factor of losing plays on Hughes mind just enough for the "prodigy" to re-apply the rear naked choke .
                      Trigg could not finish with a RNC it and it was sunk deep............BJ has smaller arms though........he can get it deeper.

Cardio is gonna be big part since this will be going five. Penn looked gassed after three with GSP.

"Loco Moco" versus "Country Breakfast"

Hooters here I come!!!!!

Comment

Re: Penn versus Hughes

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                        Thoughts?????
                        Time for BJ to reclaim his rightful place atop the UFC's welterweight division.

I think he learned a lot for the St. Pierre fight and will be ready later this month.

And it's gonna be on FREE TV! Even better!

Comment

Saw the Penn/St. Pierre fight on Spike-TV last night. Penn clearly won the first round, lost the second, and tied the third. St. Pierre squeaked away with the decision.
                          Agree that Hughes will beat Penn, unless Penn gets lucky.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Matt Hughes vs BJ Penn

BJ has heavy hands and can deliver devastating strikes. Let's not forget what he did to GSP's face. BJ has also beaten Gomi (Pride's LightWeight champion) who has also great standup. BJ has never lost due to KO, TKO, or submission. Hughes has no stand-up, and I don't care what Mike Goldberg and Joe Rogan say, he's not in the same league as BJ. On there last fight, BJ rocked Hughes with a sudden strike when Hughes was on the ground (if you've seen it, you know what I mean). Once Hughes felt that punch, he didn't want to stay on the ground anymore, so he tried to stand up and gave his back. Meaning, BJ wins standup.

Next, BJ has superior ground game because of his flexibility and knowledge of submissions. BJ has beaten any and all Gracie’s he’s faced. BJ won a grappling tournament held in Brazil for heaven’s sake when he just got his black belt just a week before. The dude is a tuff summa bich.

Ok, now, this is where I will concede. It was mentioned in a previous post that BJ’s training and cardio is suspect. I read somewhere that he does not want to take training serious because he gets burnt out fast. It’s not an exact quote but this concerns me. Hughes can go 5 rounds easy, there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s got excellent conditioning. But with BJ, I’m not so confident. That GSP fight, it did seem like he was gassed at the end. GSP was gassed because BJ hit him so hard. I was surprised that GSP could stand after some of the blows they traded. But GSP was able to score with the judges using take downs and leg kicks because his conditioning was awesome. It seemed BJ was looking for a KO punch and GSP just had too much heart to go down. BJ's conditioning wasn't as good from the looks of him.

Overall, I hope BJ wins, it’s just I hope he doesn’t take it lightly and trains really hard. The problem with being confident is that it leads to pride. And pride precludes a huge fall. Anyways, my 2 cents

Comment

Liddell vs Silva

It looks like this fight might not happen. I guess PrideFC does not want to send Silva to the UFC for this fight, which I think is a rip off. The UFC sent Liddell to PrideFC three times, why not send Silva to the UFC for one fight. And the UFC should not have announced the fight if it was still in negotiations and no agreement had been settled.

I'm disappointed that this fight won't happen. I'm pretty sure Silva would win, but we'll never know now.

Comment

Re: Liddell vs Silva

Originally posted by kealiinaauao
                                It looks like this fight might not happen. I guess PrideFC does not want to send Silva to the UFC for this fight, which I think is a rip off. The UFC sent Liddell to PrideFC three times, why not send Silva to the UFC for one fight. And the UFC should not have announced the fight if it was still in negotiations and no agreement had been settled.

I'm disappointed that this fight won't happen. I'm pretty sure Silva would win, but we'll never know now.
                                From what I understand, they are still working on terms. Dana White is gonna turn out to be an @ss for announcing this before the ink was on the paper or he is gonna be the hero who brought the two best LHWs together.

Pride versus UFC rules, how much to pay, ring versus cage, nothing is finalized yet.

Pride will be in the US soon, Dana is either trying to jump on the bandwagon or is setting up for a merger.

Comment

Working...
                                X