American Idol Season Five (2006)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Idol Season Five (2006)

It's that time again! A two hour season premier aired on Tuesday, January 17, 2006, featuring auditions in Chicago, Illinois. A one hour follow-up show aired tonight, featuring auditions held in Denver, Colorado.

American Idol took hold of Hawaii when Jordan Segundo of Honolulu finished in the top 32 of season 2.

Then the show hit an all-time high in the islands when auditions were held in the 50th state for the 3rd season. Hawaii's own Camile Velasco of Maui and Jasmine Trias of Oahu won the hearts of Hawaii when both of them climbed all the way to the top 10. Camile finished the season in 9th place. Jasmine continued all the way to the top, finishing 3rd place in a nail-biting fight for top idol against runner-up finalist, Diana DeGarmo. Fantasia Barino was the winner of season 3.

Carrie Underwood won season 4.

American Idol season 5 has commenced...
    Last edited by Pomai; January 18, 2006, 09:08 PM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: American Idol Season Five (2006)

I love watching the early shows. Ever notice how the worse the singer, the more incredulous they are at being rejected?

Comment

I think the reason they keep making these shows(besides ratings)is because they haven't had ANY real breakout superstar yet. Clay Aiken a second place loser, is popular ,but no superstar.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
        I think the reason they keep making these shows(besides ratings)is because they haven't had ANY real breakout superstar yet. Clay Aiken a second place loser, is popular ,but no superstar.
        Ratings=sponsors. Sponsors=$. The show's gotta be a cash cow! My guess is if (when?) the ratings drop, along with sponsorship, the show will end...whether or not there's been a superstar. I think what I like best about the show is that it's given chances to people who otherwise wouldn't have had them. I, too, like the early audition shows. Once the competition starts I don't watch again 'til it gets to the top 10. The exception is when Hawaii is represented. And that Jordan...whatta a love that kid is!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
          Ratings=sponsors. Sponsors=$. The show's gotta be a cash cow! My guess is if (when?) the ratings drop, along with sponsorship, the show will end...whether or not there's been a superstar. I think what I like best about the show is that it's given chances to people who otherwise wouldn't have had them. I, too, like the early audition shows. Once the competition starts I don't watch again 'til it gets to the top 10. The exception is when Hawaii is represented. And that Jordan...whatta a love that kid is!
          The show will end when they lose the REAL star of Idol... Simon Cowell.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

I agree 'cuz that will cause the ratings to drop and the sponsors to pull out due to low ratings.

Comment

He just signed a new 7-year contract to be on the show.
              And I think you folks will find that Carrie Underwood will be the breakout star you've been talking about. Or she already is. Her first CD has already gone double or triple platinum, as I recall. I fully expect her to have a very long and successful career.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Personally and professionally speaking, I just wish one of the show's requirements would be that all prospective contestants must show their high school diplomas and no drop outs allowed! By California law, anyone under 18 must attend school on the set (the # of hours each day escapes me right now). The stress factor for the minors who make it into the competition is off the charts. Not healthy, imnsho.

Comment

whatever happened to Fantasia and Reuben?

Comment

Wasn't Kelly Clarkson an American Idol winner or finalist? Seems like she is the most successful of the Idol stars with two best selling albums and a string of popular, radio friendly singles.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Obviously not much interest in the show here in Hawaii this year....
                      I'm wondering if the interest will pick up sooner or later?

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                        Obviously not much interest in the show here in Hawaii this year....
                        I'm wondering if the interest will pick up sooner or later?
                        Tonight I watched the Jamie Foxx special instead of AI. Egads, that kid is talented.

Comment

AI is the epitome of the perfect television viewing experience. The best TV entertainment ever.

Sure, I was all snobby at first, like some of you reading this. Didn't see the first season, or the second. Saw five minutes of the third season and was hooked.

I detest all the contestants. But I have to watch.

Best TV show ever!!

Everrrrrr!!!!!

Go ahea, laugh. You just don't get it. It really is. The. Best. Show. Ever. Anyone who disagrees is just wrong. Bad and wrong. Don't argue with me! You are wrong! Wrong, I tell you! Bwaa haa haa haa haaaaa! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

<swallows pill, takes deep breath>

Comment

too bad no one from Hawaii tried out for idol this year. There is so much talent in the islands.

I can't believe how some contestants go to the auditions with all their weird ways and such. I guess it makes interesting TV. But there are some major time wasters! But then again to get up and do an audition takes a lot of guts. I am glad I use to be on the "Simon" side. I guess I still would be in the biz if I had only stopped "judging a book by it's cover".

What ever happened to Megan Zieger? where did she get cut?

Thank god the Brittenum twins got yanked, they were too obnoxious!
                            Last edited by speedtek; February 15, 2006, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek
                              too bad no one from Hawaii tried out for idol this year. There is so much talent in the islands.
                              That's the same thought I had after seeing the 24 finalist (12 female/12 male) last night. It's so much more fun when someone from Hawaii is on the show, as was the case in season 3 with Jasmine and Camile.

I would imagine there actually were quite a few Hawaii contestants this year. It's just none of them were selected.

We recently had lunch at the new Macaroni Grill in Ala Moana. A young local gal working there roams the dining room serenading tables in Italian Opera, including "Happy Birthday". Absolutely beautiful voice. When she came to our table we mentioned that she should try out for American Idol. She said she actually did, but was cut early on by A.I. producers and noted how there's much more to it than what you see on TV.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                              X