S-B Rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-B Rocks

Thanks to all who came out tonight to support the Star-Bulletin rock bands at Anna Bannana's >>>http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/20/f...s/story04.html<<<. We had folks attending from Hawaii Threads, the Advertiser.... et. al. A good time had by all... and we raised a good amount of money for a cancer fund...

Thanks again...

-Dick

http://mvamusic.com

Re: S-B Rocks

Damn. I had to work! Glad you guys had fun.
    Blaine
    Last edited by zztype; January 22, 2006, 02:34 AM.
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

that was so much more than I anticipated. thinking, ok, a few garage rock bands.. but no. This was top drawer stuff. All bands were really amazing. great talent overflowing from Anna Bannanas last nite. I was impressed. The openers were Hon Blue devils, sans the lead, main man and connection to H.S.B. Burl Burlingame. Since Burl's guitar and Mississippi saxophone work holds everything together with the Blue Devils, and as he was conspicuously absent last nite, their sound was not what it could be. Missing a major cohesive ingredient.
      Next up was The Crud, which was remniscient of Nirvana, Ben Henry and associates gave us a great set of rock. Good job guys!
      Then, Mad Theory, who gave us a dose of incredible power rock, don't know how to classify it except to say it was tight, pro level and hit ya like a sonic boom. Kinda Metallica? Carlos, lead singer did a great job fronting the powerhouse musicians on stage.
      We were treated to the Malcognitas, which featured a wahine guitarist, who Jason Genegabus couldn't keep from commenting many times, impressed his socks off. "Oooh a woman guitarist. Intimidating; grrrrowwwrrr!" They gave us a good dose of what reminded me of early CBGB new wave rock. Very cool.
      aftah dat, we had Ecto Gamat, More great stuff that had shades of new wave rock roots.

Rich Walker; HT regular, HSB photog, and bassist for MVA worked the room, and had a chance to finally meet him, He is the nicest guy. (was a mini HT gathering; Kimo, Maddie and Dick) Rich is a cool guy and Big dude too. On stage he cuts an imposing powerful image, with his leaning into his bass work, obviously feeling the music in wild movements that cover the stage and dance floor. This band is not a weekend thing. These guys should have CD's out. A sonic blast of power rock that we wish wouldn't end. Each well crafted song had it's own character, worthy of the radio. Their name is MVA, Motor vehicle Accident but they were no accident, all songs incredibly tight as if they practice every day, stage presence as if they've been gigging for a long time, and songs and riffs that make ya wanna hear it in the car Cd player often.

Rich kindly allowed his speaker cabinets to be used thru the night on stage for all to use, to help expedite changes between bands. And it looked like Lorenzo Trinidad of the Malcognitas employed the use of Rich's black and white Fender bass guitar too, during his set.
      This is not a simple motor vehicle accident. No, it was a screaming freight train bearing down on you with an incredible wall of electrified guitar work by three guitarists, impressive bass work, amazing drumming making MVA a powerful presence onstage the likes of which we've not seen in a long time. But we want to see it again, and we don't wanna wait along time. Let's have another local rock nite like this soon!
      Film at eleven.
      Last edited by kimo55; January 22, 2006, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Totally kicked ass.

Comment

Gee the things you learn! I had no idea SB photog extraordinaire played a musical instrument, let alone a bass! Sounds like a cool time was had by all.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

FYI - Someone posted photos here.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Kimo... very kind words... and it was good to finally meet you as well.

>>>This was top drawer stuff.<<<

I always thought we were more sock/underwear drawer variety, but it's good to know people feel otherwise...

Comment

yer rattle made us humm.
                Last edited by kimo55; January 23, 2006, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dick
                  I always thought we were more sock/underwear drawer variety, but it's good to know people feel otherwise...
                  That's what I keep in MY top drawer.
                  basically, Ya'll knocked my socks off, dude!

will be putting up a lil footage later today. pm me yer addy for a copy of the DVD, if ya want it.
                  Or can have maddie hand it off to ya at the SB. or we can meet fer drinks taco tuesday?
                  or whatevaz...
                  Last edited by kimo55; January 23, 2006, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I thought there was a "Where's Maddie?" thread here somewhere but couldn't find it, so resurrected this thread to say that you should read the first item and see the photo in Ben Woods' column today in the Star-Bulletin.
                    Glad to see she's alive and well, even if she doesn't play much in here any more.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      I thought there was a "Where's Maddie?" thread here somewhere but couldn't find it[...]
                      Amazing...while in the car earlier today Maddie came to mind and I thought to myself that as soon as I get to my computer I'm going to start a "Hey, Maddie, please come out and play" thread! You beat me to it, LN!

Comment

I miss Maddie!!!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Wa, wa, wait! The last few posts I remember from Maddie said she was really sick. As in popping her cookies sick. And now this thread is tacked on to one "for a cause". You're not saying that Maddie is...

And yes, I miss maddie too.

Comment

Why do I get the feeling Maddie just got fed up with some of the less-than-stellar discourtesies of this board, and decided it wasn't worth the headaches to keep jumping in? I do hope she's doing well - perhaps some of the many S-B staffers who are regulars here can give her our greetings.

Comment

Re: S-B Rocks — BOW WOW WOW!!

Speaking of the S-B rocking, the poor little underdog Star-Bulletin skunked the Honolulu Agonizer in the Society of Professional Journalist Awards for this year. Since the Gannett paper plans to whack away at its professional staff this fall, it might get worse next year.
                              Burl Burlingame
                              "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                              honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X